Shenmue 3 Improvements/Keeps For Shenmue 4

The general controls are good. UE4 is good. It doesn't need to get any prettier. I think Shenmue 1 & 2 do some things better. The QTEs. The story telling. Characters teaching Ryo important moves by describing them, because button combinations translate to Ryo's movements in a way that makes sense...

Look back a bit to move forward.

I still say ditch the Japanese dub and place resources into a much improved English dub. Why favor a Japanese dub when most of the audience are English-speaking westerners?

I still say ditch the Japanese dub and place resources into a much improved English dub. Why favor a Japanese dub when most of the audience are English-speaking westerners?
Shenmue is essentially an anime, and some people like their anime in Japanese dialog with English subtitles. That's just how it goes. Looks like Yu Suzuki has caved to pressure, and Shenmue 4 will be more like Yakuza, like fight people every two feet, Yakuza 1 and 2. He said pretty much in a recent article with Gamingbolt.

They’d still have pay someone/some people to write the script in Japanese and then pay for a translation. Seems fairly inefficient to me. I think Japanese dub and a quality English localization is the best solution, but I don’t think they’re ever going to drop the English dub.

Where did Yu say he would implement random battles in Shenmue IV?

Shenmue is essentially an anime, and some people like their anime in Japanese dialog with English subtitles. That's just how it goes. Looks like Yu Suzuki has caved to pressure, and Shenmue 4 will be more like Yakuza, like fight people every two feet, Yakuza 1 and 2. He said pretty much in a recent article with Gamingbolt.
Gaming Bolt? If you mean the IGN Japan interview he's not even mentioned that.

Unless it's a new interview? Please link if it is.

I really dislike the amount of battles in the Yakuza games. They are extremely annoying, actually, especially later on. I know Yu Suzuki would never consider breaking up exploration with random battles. I assume you are trying to connect QOL improvements like map waypoints with other elements from Yakuza.

Screenshot_2020-05-03-06-10-54.pngScreenshot_2020-05-03-06-10-37.png

A big reason why casuals can't deal with Shenmue III is they have no patience. I accept that there are only a few fights in the game because Shenmue III is more like a novel than a comic book. The story takes priority over the action, and they have to build up to the action. A casual will demand more action, regards whether it makes sense according to the story. If Yu Suzuki were truly making Shenmue 4 more " mass appeal" focused, the very first thing he would do is increase the action tenfold.

The good

The environment, especially in Bailu.
The jobs/activities. Loved fishing, also enjoyed the rose garden a lot. Spent so much time fighting at the rose garden.
The gameplay structure, of investigating, fighting, and having to earn money. The game gave lots of ways to earn money.
The slow pace of Bailu was really nice.
The fighting. Although not perfect, it felt really fluid.
The light rpg elements and use of practise and sparring.
The music.
The story. It was light on story progression, but I personally like that. I like the slow pace.
The castle. I know alot of people didn't like it, but it was great to me.

The bad
The weird cartoony look of some of the npcs was just bizarre.
Niaowu. There was just to many of the same/similar shops everywhere. How many buddha stalls/shops are needed? There is no need to have two big arcades. Way way to many lucky hit stands and capsule toy stands. It breaks immersion.
Also,that can apply to Bailu as well. An area where there is lucky hit stands and other gambling booths, with nobody around them. It looks obvious its just for the player and it breaks immersion massively.
The customization for Ryo is really cool, and something I like, however, what gives with the tshirts of ryo and other characters. Its horrible fan service which again, breaks immersion.
Some of the minigames are just not fun.
The pop up of characters in Niaowu especially is awful. They appear from nowere, it feels worse then how it did in Shenmue.

My Improvements
More consistent facial designs.
Build on the fight mechanics.
Build on the rpg elements.
Utilize the stamina system better. Maybe have shops and restaurants we could eat at etc.
Better implementation of side quests.
Improve design of a city, have it be more believable.
Less fan service.
More variety of minigames. Or less, but more indepth.

View attachment 7812View attachment 7813

A big reason why casuals can't deal with Shenmue III is they have no patience. I accept that there are only a few fights in the game because Shenmue III is more like a novel than a comic book. The story takes priority over the action, and they have to build up to the action. A casual will demand more action, regards whether it makes sense according to the story. If Yu Suzuki were truly making Shenmue 4 more " mass appeal" focused, the very first thing he would do is increase the action tenfold.
I don't think this would mean random battles, maybe more places to have fights like Rose Garden but actually if you spar and do the Rose Garden there's quite a bit of fighting. Shenmue II had lots of action once it got going. Something like that would be great.

This is from the IGN Japan interview in any case.

One thing to note. It says Suzuki could develop the game 1.5 times faster. But I believe in the interview he said he would make the game streamlined and casual players could complete it 1.5 times faster if they chose.

I liked the addition of sidequests. What I didn't like is the fail state for these sidequests that is invisible to these players. Why do you fail a sidequest if you progress past a point in the main quest? Obviously you shouldn't be able to do Bailu sidequests in Niaowu, but why can't you take them at your own pace while you're there? In Yakuza you can complete all sidequests at your own pace after you've completed the main quest, no reason you shouldn't be able to in Shenmue (unless they're tied to a specific location as mentioned before).

A lot of weird choices. Why do you fail the Tall Tales sidequest if you speak to the guy twice in one day??? Why is Pause tied to R1/RB? Why does the Escape button on PC quit to desktop? Why does the Start button do nothing? Why is Impact font used in the menu???

Interactions with Ren and characters already introduced need to feel natural.

Ren could have been anybody in SIII, the development was good in SII and felt natural.

Something just felt off in SIII with Ren, I hope if we get to see Guizhang etc or anyone else we're already met it is how it should be

Another thing, I have no idea how they achieved this but it felt like a genuine Shenmue game, that deserves credit how they did that.

There is a finite number of opponent's you can fight at Rose Garden and Wu Shen Hall, sadly that isn't enough for casuals. Those fights are optional. Casuals want to turn their brain off and mash. To that end , to achieve any kind of "mass appeal" Yu Suzuki would have to make fighting part of the gameplay loop. Fighting thugs, not training would have to be the main source of gaining XP. As much as people in here didn't appreciate SHENMUE III , it will be the last true " Shenmue " experience. The rest will be corrupted by casuals and corporate concerns. Shenmue III will become a martyr and the perennial classic I knew it would over time.

I'm sure Yu Suzuki will add more fighting in an entertaining way. Remember when the Red Snakes and Blue Spiders were ransacking homes , temples and shops in Shenmue 3? Well in Shenmue 4 maybe they will do that kind of thing in realtime, and Roy will constantly have to stop them as part if the gameplay loop. I suppose Ryo will have to stop a lot more muggings and purse snatchers and muggers in realtime than ever before. Mass Appeal.

Last edited:
The font size for the handwriting in the diary was too small. I could barely make out what was written. I don't think it's an issue for those who play the game on their pc or laptop but for those playing the game on the ps4 who sit 10 to 15 feet away, it's problematic. I'd like for the font size to be larger, the same size as in S1&2.

View attachment 7812View attachment 7813

There is a finite number of opponent's you can fight at Rose Garden and Wu Shen Hall, sadly that isn't enough for casuals. Those fights are optional. Casuals want to turn their brain off and mash. To that end , to achieve any kind of "mass appeal" Yu Suzuki would have to make fighting part of the gameplay loop. Fighting thugs, not training would have to be the main source of gaining XP. As much as people in here didn't appreciate SHENMUE III , it will be the last true " Shenmue " experience. The rest will be corrupted by casuals and corporate concerns. Shenmue III will become a martyr and the perennial classic I knew it would over time.
I think you’re kind of overreacting to a couple lines from a positive interview. Also, are you trying to sound like a complete snob? Because you’re doing a great job. Sheesh

-Keep
Quests with NO waypoints. Do not hold our hand. Let us sleuth are way there, the Shenmue way. As it always has been.

Stealth - Although very brief, stealth has been in each Shenmue title, increase volume of stealth sequences.

Humor - Keep it light, but I noticed the latest Shenmue took the time to crack a few jokes (Final Stare-down with lost boat-kid) that genuinely made me lol.

Immersion level - Keep it slow paced, and make each and everything in the game matter, make everything significant! I spent many hours in this game discovering...make those discoveries matter and count so the player feels like THEY found it, and only them.

Outfits - Appreciated

-Improve
Leveling System - Once one gets accustomed to the fighting system, it's actually really fun! However, re-haul the leveling system, overall! Ryo's endurance, the moves, the enemies, all of it needs to be optimized.

FIGHTING - Too stiff, let me run around like in Shenmue 1 and 2 and tire myself out, lol. Also, throw moves, obviously. Think Shenmue 1's fighting mechanics, overall but with Shenmue 2's evade roll.

Area-Music should slowly fade into the next Area-Music, and vice-versa. Do not restart the damn music when re-entering an area, start it from where it left off, a bit annoying...lol

Money Making - More ways to obtain currency

Signature Moves - Allow us to have or create 5 dedicated finishers or moves.

Quicker Actions - Allow Ryo to open multiple drawers at once >.>

Intensity - There were some pretty risky moments Ryo had to take on in the first two...I did not really feel that with Shenmue 3. Probably had to tone it down with how the rating system is, nowadays.

Camera View - Let us switch the perspective of the third-person camera of where we see Ryo.. From close, near, far.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Close - Above Ryo's Elbows
Near - Can only see Ryo's Jacket
Far - Classic, as it always been
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

>To be cont...

Last edited:
I think you’re kind of overreacting to a couple lines from a positive interview. Also, are you trying to sound like a complete snob? Because you’re doing a great job. Sheesh
To expand on this, Shenmue is actually a very casual friendly game. It’s not difficult and it’s really not hard to get what’s going on if you play it for a little while. I don’t like the idea that Shenmue is some secret hardcore game, when it was meant to be a huge system seller when it originally came out. I even remember Yu Suzuki touting it as accessible to children and the elderly in the lead-up to the first game. It sounds to me like YOU don’t get it. I have no doubt QOL improvements AND innovations would’ve factored into the later chapters had they come out when they were meant to. Many of the old school design elements in Shenmue 3 seem to be there to recall the nostalgia we have for the old games or because spending time drastically changing the original design documents would’ve added even more time and money to the project.

If Ys Net can thread the needle and make Shenmue IV a game that pleases old fans and brings in new fans, yknow kind of what’s needed to ensure Yu Suzuki can wrap up this saga as best he can, then this old school Shenmue fan who also really likes Yakuza (you can like both games I promise!)will be very happy. I really don’t envy this team: I have no idea how I could even start working on this game if I troubled myself with the incessant feedback from the true fans the critics.

Last edited:
To expand on this, Shenmue is actually a very casual friendly game. It’s not difficult and it’s really not hard to get what’s going on if you play it for a little while. I don’t like the idea that Shenmue is some secret hardcore game, when it was meant to be a huge system seller when it originally came out. I even remember Yu Suzuki touting it as accessible to children and the elderly in the lead-up to the first game. It sounds to me like YOU don’t get it. I have no doubt QOL improvements AND innovations would’ve factored into the later chapters had they come out when they were meant to. Many of the old school design elements in Shenmue 3 seem to be there to recall the nostalgia we have for the old games or because spending time drastically changing the original design documents would’ve added even more time and money to the project.

If Ys Net can thread the needle and make Shenmue IV a game that pleases old fans and brings in new fans, yknow kind of what’s needed to ensure Yu Suzuki can wrap up this saga as best he can, then this old school Shenmue fan who also really likes Yakuza (you can like both games I promise!)will be very happy. I really don’t envy this team: I have no idea how I could even start working on this game if I troubled myself with the incessant feedback from the true fans the critics.
That's why Yu Suzuki needs to shut us off to a point and make what he wants to make.

Back