Shenmue 3 Marketing Analysis Thread

I may be jumping the gun, but so far things look good for more Shenmue. Even after the crowdfunding stage and them partnering up with a publisher/raising other sources of funding, the budget is still likely small enough to break even. At the very least I think it'll see localization sales numbers of a current gen SEGA game. Things like including the HD collection in the Humble Monthly, Game Pass, and even having a sale drop on Steam right now are also good calls.
That said, I feel like there's still areas for improvement. Deep Silver should've released the Yu Suzuki "World of Shenmue" Interview bits to their channel and sent those to media outlets instead of leaving them to the Shenmue 3 Official channel, I'm sure plenty of people are still unaware of those videos and they give plenty of information about the game. And while it's great they ramped things up this year, I feel like the rare trailer drops in 2018 were a bit too scarce personally.

Here's a link to sites with preorder data we can access:

Amazon UK holding at #3 but has doubled in sales (now #26 across all PS4, was #48 yesterday)
Game UK shot up from #26 to #13. They have seemingly got some more CE's in at #22.
Simply Games #1 (CE) and #2 (Standard) in their pre order chart :)

Don't that just warm the heart?
VS8YyZG.png

Best Buy USA up to #3
Amazon USA up to #17 includes already available games, systems and accesories.
Amazon JPN up to #8 includes already available games.

Great push from all sites as we head into the final preorder weekend :D

Some solid reviews will do wonders for presales, so fingers crossed it gets a fair crack. I'm really hoping on IGN to continue the positive coverage.

Of course, no digital sales are counted here either.

Last edited:
Here's a link to sites with preorder data we can access:

Note that a lot of these preorders aren't cumilative. It's how they are doing as of the time and date. So if Shenmue had 50 preorders yesterday putting it at say #5 and only 10 today, then it'll go to #10 for example.

Amazon UK At time of post #10 and #31 and #64 (day one, koch media, and collectors which is out of stock)
Game UK #35 (but just behind Need for Speed and Death Stranding which launch 11 and 7 days ahead, respectively, so if it's keeping track with those titles, that's good)
Simply Games UK - #8 (collectors edition) and #14 (day one edition) across ALL sales including released (so includes CoD for example)

Best Buy USA #8 (but #1-5 are mutiple versions of Jedi and Death Stranding). Ahead of Need for Speed which launches a week earlier.
Amazon USA #25 includes already available games, systems and accesories.

Amazon JPN #21 includes already available games.

This will be my last pre-order update as the game is out tomorrow, then I'll advise how it's doing in the general charts.

Amazon UK still #1 in Hot Preorder, this equates to #28 in all PS4 sales as of the time of this post.
GAME UK number #8 and #11 (D1 and CE), no way of checking to see how it's doing outside of preorders but that's good.
Simply Games - Playstation 4 - ALL top sellers - CE is #2! (behind Jedi ) and #7 (D1) this is REALLY GOOD.

Best Buy USA - #2 in ALL PS4 sales. Again behind Jedi! Great result!
Amazon USA - #15 includes already available games, systems and accesories.
Amazon Japan - #10 includes already available games.

Again, no backer or PSN/PC digital copies are included in these rankings.

It's not looking bad at all. Will have a much better understanding of how GAME and Amazon convert to sales when they move out of the preorder sections into the 'geneal populace' tomorrow.

Thank you all

Epic’s Shenmue trailer is approaching ten million views. Even a 1% conversion rate (which seems low given the vast majority of viewers should be within the game’s target demographic) bodes very well for sales of S3.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we get an announcement about PC sales soon as DS will be keen to dismiss the talk of Shenmue 3 being a flop and Epic will be keen to show publishers and developers that these exclusivity deals can really pay off.

And at the very least, we know that this trailer is actually climbing in views. And there is nothing else to explain this except that either it is translating into sales, or the marketing push is still happening. For example, the ANZ 15 teaser ad that Deep Silver was using on YouTube has flatlined at 957k views...likely no longer being used as an ad. This one obviously is.

Epic’s Shenmue trailer is approaching ten million views. Even a 1% conversion rate (which seems low given the vast majority of viewers should be within the game’s target demographic) bodes very well for sales of S3.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we get an announcement about PC sales soon as DS will be keen to dismiss the talk of Shenmue 3 being a flop and Epic will be keen to show publishers and developers that these exclusivity deals can really pay off.
I'm trying to hammer the damn point every time I can. So far I played 2 supposedly indi games made on unreal 4 engine with a lot of help from it's creators. Both Ancestors and Shenmue 3 are made by legendary devs that were ahem kicked out from their respective companies after making them what they are today. Both made deals with Epic. I love both these games to death I swear. I want sequels for both, and hell yes I want them on Epic, not anything else! IMHO both of them as as large and grand exactly due to how freaking cool UE4 was for developing. They both talk about that thanks to it they were able to put more time into the games themselves. With their smaller teams they both really got great advantages from using UE4.

I wish Epic the best of success, it clearly helps unique, stand out, uncommon bits of art to exist and become better. What the F did Steam ever do for any games that it distributed? Did they ever help eat the costs of publishing for struggling devs? If the only way to make them even consider it is having exclusives they can't have, long live exclusives on PC. Dragon Age needs Origin, they clearly got efing tired of the 30% racket. Odyssey seems to need Uplay even though it is on Steam too. I wish they went their own only, I had a problem thanks to that, though it got resolved. Steam needs to be taken down a notch, it's way past time.

Back