Shenmue 3 on Xbox One. Is now a good time?

It’s clear PlayStation has a nice marketing deal with Shenmue III probably similar to GTA with timed-exclusivity...but the next State of Play should be interesting...

And the E3 PC Show may drop a megaton tomorrow...

I freaked out a little when the Sega logo came up and that orchestral music played. Forgot for a moment that Sega has nothing to do with Shenmue III.

Well with the Xbox team bringing Shenmue I & II into game pass and how they talk and talk about how they are now the big player, bringing everything to everyone, the at least can't ignore III.

It'll come eventually, as everybody really assumed all this while.

This brief Xbox saga has been pretty enlightening though - I saw people who were previously quite negative about Shenmue III changing their tune when there was the possibility it was coming to their platform. I'd wondered for long while if console war shenanigans were fueling the more baseless hate in certain cases, so it was nice to see I wasn't just being conspiratorial about it.

As soon as that music played it brought back so many memories for me. I met a good friend through PSO. We still very good mates today and although we have only ever met once (At a Green Day gig in 2004...i think) we are always there for eachother by phone and text. I can count my true friends on one hand, and he's one of them. PSO is very close to my heart. And it probably made me fail most of my GCSEs...oh well.

Although I have a PS4, I REALLY want Shenmue 3 on Xbox. So so much. But this is what gaming is all about right? These amazing heart felt experiences. Can't beat it. I'm really happy right now. Shenmue 3 Xbox would complete the cycle.

Like I’ve stated before I don’t have an issue with Shenmue 3 appearing on the XBox. In fact I’ll go one step further and advocate for Shenmue 3 to be on the Nintendo Switch as well. While a Switch port would be less powerful then its other brethren if Mortal Kombat XI can make it on the platform I don’t see why Shenmue 3 wouldn’t be able to either. Also you have the new Google Cloud based gaming Stadia service coming soon that if implemented right can bypass those hardware limitations.

Not only is the XBox the most powerful console of the three, it shares similar architecture to Sony’s PlayStation 4. This should make it easier to port Shenmue 3 over and optimize it something that would’ve been harder to do back in the sixth generation with the PlayStation 2. My only concern would be costs and that’s where the audience comes in. People who want a port of Shenmue 3 on the XBox along with any potential future games need to let Phil Spencer and Microsoft know that their investment will be worth it.

Make your voices heard all across social media demanding Shenmue 3 on XBox, have the HD Collection of Shenmue 1 & 2 sell out on Microsoft’s console. Be tenacious and consistent I mean that’s how we all got Shenmue 3 and the HD remasters of 1 & 2 in the first place. If the fans on XBox, PC, PlayStation, and Nintendo all show the same ravenous desire for Shenmue then there will be no need to worry about Shenmue IV or V. However the time to act is now.

Last edited:
I find it weird when people act like Shenmue III deserves to be on Xbox more than PS4 just because Shenmue II came out on the original Xbox. That's ancient history by console standards -- 16 years ago -- and has no bearing on today. With Shenmue I & II coming to both PS4 and Xbox, both consoles are on equal footing as far as Shenmue is concerned.

I want the game to come to Xbox so it can reach as wide an audience as possible, but to me it's only fair it comes to PS4 first because without that E3 reveal, the KS campaign would've been much, much weaker. Say what you want about Sony, but they were the ones to stick their hand up and support Yu.

I work doubles on Sundays plus I had my beer league hockey game tonight....WTF ABOUT PSO2??

Are they really finally localizing PSO2!?!?!?

You guys really think that there is a big audiance for Shenmue 3 on the Box. I do not think that Shenmue 3 would get many fans on the Plattform besides the Dojo of course. But Mircrosoft is not putting much afford into Story driven single player games. And the fans are fine with that Shenmue 3 is japanese Story driven game at it's heart. It is not the type of game the xbox fans in General and the managment at Microsoft are craving for. Xbox is not the best place for japanese games. Would make more sense to bring the game on the switch

Do not get me wrong though. I am not against a Xbox Version I just think it would not make that big Impact some People here are hoping for me.

Action Adventures in the japanese style and xbox are not the best combination.

Disappointing to see.

"Oh, we're always on the lookout for your most requested games to bring to our platform."

Like I’ve stated before I don’t have an issue with Shenmue 3 appearing on the XBox. In fact I’ll go one step further and advocate for Shenmue 3 to be on the Nintendo Switch as well. While a Switch port would be less powerful then its other brethren if Mortal Kombat XI can make it on the platform I don’t see why Shenmue 3 wouldn’t be able to either. Also you have the new Google Cloud based gaming Stadia service coming soon that if implemented right can bypass those hardware limitations.

Not only is the XBox the most powerful console of the three, it shares similar architecture to Sony’s PlayStation 4. This should make it easier to port Shenmue 3 over and optimize it something that would’ve been harder to do back in the sixth generation with the PlayStation 2. My only concern would be costs and that’s where the audience comes in. People who want a port of Shenmue 3 on the XBox along with any potential future games need to let Phil Spencer and Microsoft know that their investment will be worth it.

Make your voices heard all across social media demanding Shenmue 3 on XBox, have the HD Collection of Shenmue 1 & 2 sell out on Microsoft’s console. Be tenacious and consistent I mean that’s how we all got Shenmue 3 and the HD remasters of 1 & 2 in the first place. If the fans on XBox, PC, PlayStation, and Nintendo all show the same ravenous desire for Shenmue then there will be no need to worry about Shenmue IV or V. However the time to act is now.

The only thing going against Shenmue 3 appearing on Switch is the file size. I don't know how realistic that 100gb estimation is anymore, but even if it's half of that, Switch owners are going to struggle to fit it and many other games on their memory cards. And that would be a physical version out of the question as well, unless Nintendo finally gets around to launching 64gb cartridges.

Disappointing to see.

"Oh, we're always on the lookout for your most requested games to bring to our platform."

well maybe they have asked Suzuki and Deep Silver but they already made the deal with Sony.
a deal is a deal. we are talking about multi million dollar businesses with serious contracts.
this is not some stuff where you just quit or do something else because you changed your mind after three months.

if you have an agreement that involves any kind of money or support, you cant just do whatever you want.
if Sony, DS and Suzuki have some kind of deal, it doesnt matter how many people ask or tweet about S3 on Xbox,
it doesnt matter if Phil Spencer knocks on Suzukis door in Japan and asks him about S3 on Xbox.
even if he wants to say yes now, he cant. or he says yes and then the whole contract with Sony fails
and is it really a good idea to break an agreement with one of the biggest gaming companies? who would do that?
maybe they already have a Xbox deal and it just comes 3-9 months after the PS4 ...

i mean there are so many possibilites why there is no Xbox announcement yet ...
and we have absolutely no idea what happened behind closed doors.

"oh Xbox doesnt care about Shenmue" or "oh Deep Silver doesnt care about Xbox"
are way too simple thoughts.

I just wonder why so many Xbox fans expect a release all of the sudden. It was planned as PS4 and Pc gagme all along. Where did this rumors come from? Is it because of the Release of S1 and S 2 on the box? Then some People did forget that s1 and s2 have Nothing to do with S3. I still think a release on the MS console is not out of the Question I just wonder why so many fans think it will happen super fast..

Think its more a case of hoping it will happen. I bought my PS4 not long after E3 2015 FOR Shenmue 3, but it won't stop me wanting Shenmue 3 to come to Xbox as its my primary console and would love to have them all in the same library. Same as wanting FF7 remake to come to Xbox. It's just easier and more comfortable for some.

The HD Ports are a big reason to it, why have them on the system in the first place if there is no intention to have Shenmue III be released there... I know it's been made and distributed by different companies, but it does sort of feel like Deep Silver are dropping the ball - But then of course we have no idea if there is an exclusivity deal with Sony, it wasn't hinted at by Adam Boyle on his 2015 introduction. That and just how obvious as fans we feel the game would benefit from it.

As for the Final Fantasy VII Remake, I wouldn't rule it out either, especially with all the FF Treatment Xboxers have gotten in the last year with VII, IX, X/X-2 & XII all being ported to the system.

Ys net is just a small Company and it seems to they did not get any help from MS to bring their game to their machine. So it is just natural that they are just thinking about finishing the Ps4 and the Pc Version. Later they can think about a box Version as well. A box Version would also just make sense in the western world. In Japan nobody cares about xbox. So you also have to consider the regional differences in your equation as well.

For now there is no box version but that does not mean that there never will be one. Some fans might think that, but that does not make any sense.There was never a hint for a box version in the first place.

Exlusivity deals never make any sense btw. Resident Evil for example started on playstation but still the gamecube got the Franchise in the early 2000s and it took over 10 years till the playstation finally got 0 and the Remake. Dino Crisis started on the playstation as well, but 3 is still a Box exklusive, although the older games of the Franchise were on playstation.

Just because an earlier title was on a Plattform it does not mean that the sequal has to be there as well. It happend a lot in the past and will happen again.

But good News is that history also thought us, that no exclusivity will last forever.

Ys net is just a small Company and it seems to they did not get any help from MS to bring their game to their machine. So it is just natural that they are just thinking about finishing the Ps4 and the Pc Version. Later they can think about a box Version as well. A box Version would also just make sense in the western world. In Japan nobody cares about xbox. So you also have to consider the regional differences in your equation as well.

For now there is no box version but that does not mean that there never will be one. Some fans might think that, but that does not make any sense.There was never a hint for a box version in the first place.

True but holding out on releasing a game till later down the line can really ruin its momentum. For instance, I really dug the Tomb Raider Reboot, but as soon as the sequel was announced as an Xbox exclusive (For a yea)r all my interest in that property tanked and even now years later with the 3rd title launching on the same date, I still have yet to go back to it.

In the case of Ys net i would not cosider it als Holding back unlike square who did hold back Rise of the Tomb Raider for strategic reasons. Ys net is just focusing on the versions of the game they promised. But you are Right, releasing a game later can also have some drawbacks. But you cannot blame Ys net for it.

They were not ruling out the Box Version for fun, it was just not feasible back then as a Kickstarter game to release it on the Box too.

Last edited:

Its tied up with Sony and the investment that they have made in making this game happen. Sony have really pushed exclusives this generation.

With regards to the feasability - both systems run very similar architecture and unlike the original Shenmue games this runs on a multi-platform engine. With the game not pushing AAA fidelity it would be a very easy port as the engine is already "ported". (This is the hardest part of a port obviously)

It would mostly be an optimisation job and any custom bits they added onto the engine to make the game. Also the standard X-Box isn't as powerful as the standard PS4 (although the X-Box One X is more powerful than the pro hence the marketing) so there could be a little work required there but nothing too taxing. If the game is moderatley successful I would expect a X-Box port in 2020 as the amount of investment required would be minimal so the risk is low.

Switch is more troublesome and most studios have outsourced it to Switch porting specalists (for example Panic Button).

Back