Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Fatal Frame
Steam
RetroLord120
Nintendo Friend Code
7010-9792-5042
Seems the game will be PS4 pro enhanced. I wonder how so? Alot of footage of the game seems to be in 30fps, besides this here:
Maybe it will be 30fps on the base model ps4, and 60fps on PC and PS4 Pro?

i think its 60 fps in the Epic footage because its on Pc and you dont want to advertise Pc games with 30 fps nowadays.
Pro enhanced probably means that its running in a higher resolution like 1440p or the quality of the graphics
is slightly better.

if the base Ps4 is running the game in 30 fps, i doubt that the Pro runs in 60 fps.
i mean thats twice as much. the Pro is not twice as much powerful as the base PS4.
and the worst "enhanced" thing would be, if they just unlock the framerate.

if they just unlock the framerate with a 60 fps target, there is a very high chance
that the Pro can not maintain 100% stable 60 fps and this will result in unstable framerates
like 35, 40, 45 fps and this can feel really really really bad.

a unstable framerate that is constantly changing between 35 and 55 fps can feel WAY worse
than 100% rock solid stable 30 fps.

Well, specwise the Pro IS twice as powerful as the regular model. Also if Shenmue III is locked to 30fps on the regular there might still be quite some headroom. So a 60fps option for the Pro makes perfect sense, on paper at least.

Love to see hear more details about potential pro upgrades. Few games with Unreal Engine 4 in an open world setting have been able to maintain a 60 frame rate so like poster above I’m doubtful even though Shenmue 3 isn’t the most visually taxing title.

At bare minimum a resolution upgrade would be nice or option to prioritize frame rate or resolution similar to SOTC remake would be appreciated.

Well, specwise the Pro IS twice as powerful as the regular model. Also if Shenmue III is locked to 30fps on the regular there might still be quite some headroom. So a 60fps option for the Pro makes perfect sense, on paper at least.

on paper yes BUT if you look at games that have a 60 fps target on base PS4 and Pro,
the difference is never 30 fps. its more like 5-15 fps.
most of the time they enhance the resolution and something like shadows or foliage etc on the Pro
which results in needing more power and then you have pretty much the exact same framerate as the base Ps4.
60 fps for an open world game with hundreds of NPCs + shops without loading screens and so on is not a easy task.
games like Horizon Zero Dawn or Red Dead Redemption 2 cant even maintain stable 30 fps on the Pro.
thats why i almost hope that they wont unlock the framerate in Shenmue 3.
it would be super annoying if the game runs with a range of 30-60 fps.

That footage actually looks entirely polished...best yet all around!
Agreed. Shenhua even has a little smile we've never seen on her before hehe

on paper yes BUT if you look at games that have a 60 fps target on base PS4 and Pro,
100% agree. You're not getting 60fps on Pro, all of the GPU budget will be eaten on a resolution boost. There aren't a lot of games that offered a "performance mode" on Pro, and when there are they couldn't hit full 60 usually.

Based on what we've seen so far, I would not be surprised if base PS4 ends up being 900p or a dynamic resolution, while PS4 Pro could end up 1200p or so. Remember that they were struggling to hit 30fps in the boat section of the Prophecy trailer, and although they've almost certainly improved it since then they were clearly pushing their render budget.

98% sure it will be

1080/30fps on standard PS4
And have two modes on PS4 Pro

Frame Rate Mode: 1080/60fps
Resolution Mode: Checkerboard 4K/30fps.

This is how PS4 Pro enhancements are typically treated. Sometimes there is a patch for 4K textures.

Back