Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately shenmue 3 in the UK has only managed 17th in the charts. This doesn't fill me with confidence for a easy chance of shenmue 4. I hope I'm wrong and it still makes plenty of money but I'm worried. Don't want to have to wait or fight years for shenmue 4.
These are the games ahead in the top 10.

The chances of breaking this were very slim at best, there's not a chance even the more established Yakuza series would even have broken this lot at this time of year.

Also check the other games ahead of it. Death Stranding, massive marketing push, Need for Speed, massive franchise. Ok a couple will raise an eyebrow but it's really not as bad a people are making out. We've no concrete sales figures etc, let's wait for Cedric YSNET and DS etc for an update. Let's all calm downScreenshot_20191125_214510_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Discounted the game is a very clever move as it allows shenmue to compete with all the other titles.

Notice how in america, its selling like hot cakes but in the uk its still priced at 45.99, which makes it alot more tricky to sell, and it still placed in a decent position

Last edited:
Shenmue hd was 20 quid
Shenmue hd was released in august with no competition
Shenmue hd was 2 games
Shenmue 3 already had copies secured on kickstarter
Shenmue 3 was released in November
Shenmue 3 was up against the top 10 games currently in all of gaming.

It really isnt anything to worry about

Shenmue 3 is number 2 on bestbuy
Shenmue 3 is sold out on amazon
Shenmue 3 is the 3rd top selling game on epic
The epic shenmue 3 ad is at 4 million views. Check out the marketing thread why this good

The entire Shenmue situation is a complex one and we probably have to wait 6 months to get a clearer picture. There's just too many variables to consider

• What are the physical sales of Shenmue 3?
  • What are the digital sales of Shenmue 3?
  • Do the kickstarter copies count as sales?
  • How many collectors editions sold?
  • How many copies after the epic allocation sold?
  • How much money did Epic give to Deep Silver & ysnet?
  • Did Shenmue 3 break into the chinese market and sell there?
  • Is Bestbuy selling a lot of copies as its at the top of their videogame black friday deals?
  • Is Shenmue doing well overseas (usa, uk, jap, eu etc etc)
  • How much copies will sell on steam when its released?
  • Will Shenmue 3 be a game that sells gradually over time?
  • How well did Shenmue HD do? We only have rough figures up until the end of last year. This entire year is a mystery and there's no data. We do know its still selling.
  • How much money does Sega get for Shenmue HD being on gamepass?
  • etc etc
Its currently Epic's second highest viewed video on their channel and it only got uploaded a few days ago. There's definitely a push going on. We just have to wait and see

gznNQyq.png

Seems like the only people who would know if its a success is Sega, Deep Silver and Ysnet. We'll just have to wait and see. 6 months from now we should know hopefully.

In other words..... CALM DOWN. Its too early judge or panic.

Last edited:
The UK and JP charting suck imo. If we aren't able to get an S4 out of all this, then that's a real shame. But it is what it is and we had a good run, got S3 the impossible game in the end, etc.

THAT said, we know 81k sales were already sucked up by the kickstarter and slacker-backer several years ago, so that was always going to work against the launch. Not that I'm super optimistic, but ultimately I'm mostly interested in hearing something concrete from DS/Ys Net/Cedric in a couple months.

Probably the most important take-away, though. I feel like we'd be letting Yu down if we got TOO doom and gloom.

It's still not too late. Buy another copy and the season pass.

I'm giving a few copies to friends for Christmas :p hahahah... by the way, how do we know if it's selling in the US or Japan? A weird thing about Italian market (where I live) is that on Amazon it's like... on the 40th spot for best selling items in the videogame section. However it's almost sold out. Maybe Amazon didn't order many copies?

Folks, let's remember that digital adoption has become a very popular thing over the last few years with the increase in internet speeds and a move towards convenience. It is one of the primary reasons that my old employer, GameStop, is in dire straits.

There have been a couple of games from EA or Activision that had over 50% digital adoption. A lot of times, this isn't counted in most sales figures lists that are populated.

We really need to wait and focus on what comes from post-holiday sales. I wouldn't say it is a bomb, really.

We have no idea of the figures in the US, digital purchases, etc. We also have no idea what goal they had in mind for this game. They called Darksiders III a success at 100k sold, which is also somewhat niche, so its anybody's guess.

Folks, let's remember that digital adoption has become a very popular thing over the last few years with the increase in internet speeds and a move towards convenience. It is one of the primary reasons that my old employer, GameStop, is in dire straits.

There have been a couple of games from EA or Activision that had over 50% digital adoption. A lot of times, this isn't counted in most sales figures lists that are populated.

We really need to wait and focus on what comes from post-holiday sales. I wouldn't say it is a bomb, really.

We have no idea of the figures in the US, digital purchases, etc. We also have no idea what goal they had in mind for this game. They called Darksiders III a success at 100k sold, which is also somewhat niche, so its anybody's guess.
This! Digital Sales make up 80% of game sales in the U.K. now. More money goes to the developer as well.

Seeing a few articles out there now about how bad it is that shenmue debuted below a game exclusive to pc with limited physical release (football manager). Yeah that combined with it looking like amazon just didnt carry much of a stock to begin with, theres alot to be worried about.

I'm just enjoying 3 while I can regardless of whether its the abrupt end or not
Football manager is one of those annually released games that are always bought by a large number of football fans. I think the 2019 game sold faster than any previous version of the game. It's not a game I would expect Shenmue 3 to compete well against in sales.

Football manager is one of those annually released games that are always bought by a large number of football fans. I think the 2019 game sold faster than any previous version of the game. It's not a game I would expect Shenmue 3 to compete well against in sales.
yeah that makes sense, but the problem with it losing in this case is that people were buying more physical copies than it, and football manager exclusively sold on pc a platform where physical media is basically dead and was made in limited release.

I really hope a statement comes out soon!! The wait is killing me!

Yeah, same here... but the game's out from a week :( we need to wait. The game was on lot of charts during the pre-order and I don't think that counts towards sales... the same goes for limited editions and those are (on major outlets) sold-out. We'll see!

Yeah, same here... but the game's out from a week :( we need to wait. The game was on lot of charts during the pre-order and I don't think that counts towards sales... the same goes for limited editions and those are (on major outlets) sold-out. We'll see!
pre-orders count on sales

yeah that makes sense, but the problem with it losing in this case is that people were buying more physical copies than it, and football manager exclusively sold on pc a platform where physical media is basically dead and was made in limited release.

Exactly.

Football Manager is massive in the uk, but its also almost exclusively digital. I have no idea even that they still released the game physically.

The fact that it still beat physical sales of S3 is what is the worrying sign. Forget about the games in the top 10, its not a huge surprise it didn't get ahead of them, is this that's the worry.

The sales figures must not matter as much as normal as the game was kickstarted surely??

I know they will need revenue back for investers like Deep silver and Epic but surely no matter how it sells (within reason) its a win and the fact its in top 10s and top 20s etc must be a good thing!

Tbh I just never thought the game was gonna hit the charts it’s a cult game and a cult community isn’t that big. Either way I don’t think they expected it to make a lot either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back