Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it charts in the top 20 of the NPD then I think we can assume Shenmue IV will be green lit. I assume Deep Silver is all eyes right now seeing how it fares as to whether they want to get involved with IV again.

I hope this isn't another Control moment. (Control did abysmally that it didn't even rank in the NPD...which is a shame because Control ain't that bad of a game but the marketing was abysmal for it.)

My biggest fear is the amount of "Wait, this is actually out?" comments I was seeing in Maximillian Dood's streams and some other streams. Did the game just pass people by?

It might spike a little when reviews hit...or it might spike during the Black Friday sales once most reviews have assumedly hit by that point. Also, no one releases digital numbers so no idea how it will fare digitally.

Im still in Bailu (really taking my time with it), but I think he did a pretty good job to not have invisible walls so far. I love how you can walk almost anywhere you see.
Maybe we play it differently, but I was constantly getting ‘Maybe I should ask people in this area first.’ Which is what I would consider an invisible wall.

Edit: Seeing what you quoted, I agree with your assessment. I don’t remember any invisible walls that are cut off forever.

Now he has the team, the team knows how to use the engine, he has the models, it will be much easier to do the IV!!! Let's hope for the best!
Just as how Shenmue 1 and 2 where made back to back the same can be true of Shenmue 4 as well. Everything is already in place to start work on the next game right now. The sooner the better I say, before any team members move to other projects.

I can’t see Shenmue ever being fully open world. I think we may see a bigger world than 3 though.

I hope we get some form of positive affirmation of sales sooner rather than later though. It’s crazy we’re all still playing this new game but fully looking toward the future, many of us before we’ve even finished it. I expected this place to be a ghost town right now but it seems like we all share the same thought...to make sure Shenmue 3 isn’t the new Shenmue 2.

I firmly believe the release of Shenmue 3 and seeing the positive reviews put much needed(and deserved) wind in Yu’s sails. Hearing him talk about the future of the series and his dedication to finishing it warms my heart.

I think one of the things about sales that gets me feeling down is I dont want just to get 4, I want to get 4 with a better budget than 3 got. Like having all the fighting systems and ostensibly even some assets they can reuse and all that does let them do more on less, but I'd prefer them getting the same budget or more as this game and really going in on the game, and maybe polish up the animations more.

I think one of the things about sales that gets me feeling down is I dont want just to get 4, I want to get 4 with a better budget than 3 got. Like having all the fighting systems and ostensibly even some assets they can reuse and all that does let them do more on less, but I'd prefer them getting the same budget or more as this game and really going in on the game, and maybe polish up the animations more.

I'm right with you. Obviously the days of this getting a huge AAA budget are over, but it's still a game that requires a lot of attention to detail, VO, animation, cinematics, music, etc. I'm still hopeful that Sega will publish and possibly co-develop. Shenmue IV. I'm liking S3 but it definitely does not feel as polished as the first two games. It's hard to criticize too much given the context.

Regarding Oregon Pacifists post, here's a link if you want to monitor the EGS top sellers list. It's still in 3rd as of now (that's actually really encouraging!)

That is very encouraging about being high on EGS, I'm very surprised by that! I would really like to know how well it's selling too. No way has it sold a million copies but so far it seems more like a success then a flop?

I’m hopeful for the future, there’s nearly 100 million PS4s out there compared to the 10 million Dreamcasts that were sold and the hardcore Shenmue fan base is like what? Just south of 100k? If we carry on as we have these past 18 years and continue to preach this series through small things like streaming the third game on twitch or YouTube or celebrating the game on Twitter every 3rd, I don’t think our chances of a fourth game are bad. The industry IS different than it was 20 years ago, niche games CAN exist. My greatest hope is that Sega pulls their finger out and helps fund the fourth game so it can get a little more polish on it’s presentation.

Quick question for everyone. I've been going to different retailers since Shenmue 3 release. I have not seen the game on the shelves. Is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back