Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wild card is digital sales across all platforms and epic
I bought Digital x2 and one physical plus my backer purchase do not forget the other people who did this backed and bought physical and digital.

Also, S1&2 was sold at at half the price of S3 from launch.

When S3 launches at Steam and gets discounts, I think it will sell more than S1&2.
Whilst this is true, it doesn’t help in the short term. If S4 is going to happen it needs to happen soon. Yu Suzuki can’t afford to keep YSNet afloat for a year waiting for Steam sales.

People need to stop pointing to digital sales. If it's 17th in uk physical charts, it's not going to be magically 2nd in digital charts.

I think its more the AMOUNT of digital sales that are important, not where it is in the charts.

So no, people do NOT need to stop pointing to digital sales.

PS4 Digital Sales (Ranking, not units) from the official Japanese PlayStation website for last week:

PS4 Digital Title Ranking

1. Blazblue Cross Tag Battle Content Pack 2.0 (¥2,970)
2. Death Stranding (¥7,590)
3. Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order (¥8,657)
4. Call of Duty Modern Warfare (¥8,690)
5. SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays Premium G Sound Edition (¥13,200)
6. SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays (¥9,020)
7. Death Stranding Digital Deluxe Edition (¥9,790)
8. Shenmue III (¥7,678)
9. Shenmue III Digital Deluxe Edition (¥9,658)
10. Street Fighter V Champion Edition Upgrade Kit (¥3,000)
11. Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order Deluxe Edition (¥9,676)
12. DeeMo -Reborn- (¥4,378)
13. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (¥4,888)
14. Persona 5 Royal (¥9,680)
15. Need for Speed Heat (¥8,657)
16. 13 Sentinels (¥9,878)
17. Civilization VI (¥6,930)
18. 13 Sentinels Premium Edition (¥13,178)
19. Minecraft (¥2,640)

When comparing Shenmue 3 with 1 & 2 we need to have in mind, most of the fans got Shenmue 3 on kickstarter, it was in pre-order for a much longer time and it was also on Steam and on Xbox One.

When does a concrete number for the U.S come out? At this rate with 17th place in UK
Only 17k in Japan.
I have no idea if we are even going to hit a solid 70k

When does a concrete number for the U.S come out? At this rate with 17th place in UK
Only 17k in Japan.
I have no idea if we are even going to hit a solid 70k
NPD numbers (the official sales numbers for US) don't come out until roughly the second week of the following month, so we likely won't know for certain until around December 11-15.

People need to stop pointing to digital sales. If it's 17th in uk physical charts, it's not going to be magically 2nd in digital charts.
It absolutely matters. If the game needs 250k sales to get Shenmue 4 greenlit, every sale counts. The 37k physical sales in Japan account for 1/7th of that already. If there are just as many digital sales, we’re almost one third of the way there before accounting for sales in Europe, America and China.

It will still be the 17th best selling game in the UK, but digital sales will probably be what gets us over the line.

I think it is worth pointing out that Media Create tends to include Amazon sales in Japan, I am not sure how much Famitsu includes those. For Shenmue 1 and 2 in Japan the collectors edition was imported by a lot of western buyers via Amazon Japan.

I'm not overly concerned with the sales figures- we all want the game to sell well, as we want a Shenmue 4, but I think given the 18 year gap between titles and that is was never a huge seller in the first place, sales look to be roughly in line with what one would expect. Digital is a wild card of course, and digital update is much higher in the west.

For what it's worth I do think we will get a Shenmue 4, Deep Silver as a publisher is generally very conservative with expectations and budgets accordingly.

I backed on kickstarter, and ended up also buying a digital copy (my backer copy didn't arrive in time).

I think at this point, Ys net, Cedric, or whoever can give us something to strive to needs to speak up. It's just not a good feeling being in the dark like this. Especially when many things are not going in our favor.

I think at this point, Ys net, Cedric, or whoever can give us something to strive to needs to speak up. It's just not a good feeling being in the dark like this. Especially when many things are not going in our favor.
Based on the last four years, good luck. That is one area they definitely failed us on: good communication. Doubt that’ll change now.

It's only been out a week. Give them time ffs

The collectors edition sold out completely across the UK - a GAME rep confirmed this by email.

Yes there wouldn't be enough copies made to trouble the charts (separate SKU/barcode so won't count toward that UK#17) but that's a lot of sales at £70 a pop. Good revenue

Based on the physical and digital sales charts in Japan, I think it's looking positive. Add the (seemingly) strong numbers it's doing in the US due to the Black Friday deal, #3 on the EGS for a few days now, the sold out collectors editions (which also splits the figures for sales of standard SIII copies), the sales already raised from the Kickstarter etc.

It's only been out a week. Give them time ffs

The collectors edition sold out completely across the UK - a GAME rep confirmed this by email.

Yes there wouldn't be enough copies made to trouble the charts (separate SKU/barcode so won't count toward that UK#17) but that's a lot of sales at £70 a pop. Good revenue

yeah, and there is also the Pix N Love Collectors edition and LRG Collectors edition that wouldn't have factored in sales as well. LRG was 5k copies which sold out.

The game has been out for a week and a day, it is too soon to make or expect any kind of announcement. Marketing side is not wise to say 'ey, we have sold enaough to start 4" because they know that incertity will help fans buying some more copies even if it is for Christmas gift, same thing for saying "ey folks, we are closing it forever" because that will impact sales too.

Also unpopular opinion, the EGS deal must have help a lot to recuperste the invest for DS and YS Net may have some cash to keep it working for a while.

Anyways, too soon to celebrate or lament yet

Pix n love was 2500 IIRC so that's 7500 copies between those two. And being honest the kind of people that bought those editions were likely double dippers or to complement their kickstarter copy.

Also YsNet is busy working on DLC so it's not like they are ringing deep silver up every 10 minutes going, "can we make 4 yet lol" :D

Apparently S3 sold around 37k physical units first week in Japan. Definitely closer to 60k when you add digital. That's actually not bad considering budget. We'll get confirmation when the media create sales come out
This is actually fairly good for japan given their decreased physical sales

edit: oh nevermind didn't see the other part about it being only 17,857, I mean not terrible I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back