Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think at this point, Ys net, Cedric, or whoever can give us something to strive to needs to speak up. It's just not a good feeling being in the dark like this. Especially when many things are not going in our favor.

Guys, calm down and remember they don't "need" to do anything :) for us it's a matter of playing a game, for them it's an investment. Also consider that, should the numbers be not so good, it'd be a very bad idea to point it out before Christmas. Saying that a game is not selling well would scare other potential buyers. So we won't have an answer to this until January at least. Meanwhile, I'm giving out Shenmue III copies as Christmas gifts to my friends who don't know much about the series :) We're a community, let's be supportive and constructive.

One thing I will say in Shenmue's favor is that Yooka Laylee (which was very similar - average to mediocre
Also, we know Darksiders III needed 100K to make a profit, if Shemue 3 has done 37K in Japan alone, we're gonna be well past that figure already no doubt.

To be fair, Darksiders apparently only did well enough to get a lower budget spin-off (Darksiders Genesis). Sure, that's better than nothing at all, but that 100k clearly wasn't enough to get a full blown sequel (at least not as of right now).

Also, we know Darksiders III needed 100K to make a profit, if Shemue 3 has done 37K in Japan alone, we're gonna be well past that figure already no doubt.
I think thats comparing apples to oranges, like darksiders 3 is likely a huge aversion to the rule not the norm for anything THQ related.
I think at this point, Ys net, Cedric, or whoever can give us something to strive to needs to speak up. It's just not a good feeling being in the dark like this. Especially when many things are not going in our favor.
For starters they don't NEED to do that, and even then I don't know if you are even allowed to do anything like that, I mean who the hell wants an employee of any kind just telling the public "yo our product, its flopped/selling gangbusters", thats something for a publisher to reveal when they feel fit to.

An important point regarding digital as well is that it has pretty much decimated the second hand market in the UK so those residual digital sales 6-12 months and beyond from now all go straight to Deep Silver. Games have such a long tale nowadays compared to when physical was king.

We have so little data, we have no sales from mainland Europe other than the UK, no PSN sales, no EPIC numbers other than the chart number

Shenmue III is the ideal mid price game for those on the fence, it's like that Terminator game that just came out hell yeah I want to play it as a huge fan of Terminator 1 and 2 but for £45 no chance. £25 though I'll be giving it a go for sure

To be fair, Darksiders apparently only did well enough to get a lower budget spin-off (Darksiders Genesis). Sure, that's better than nothing at all, but that 100k clearly wasn't enough to get a full blown sequel (at least not as of right now).

True, but Darksiders III wasn't a kickstarter game, so all that development funding had to be recouped first. A huge part of the Shenmue development was pre-paid by kickstarter

One thing I will say in Shenmue's favor is that Yooka Laylee (which was very similar - average to mediocre

I was going to say I thought 4 was announced alongside it, but then looking it up actually yielded the opposite news, they referred to 4 as out of the question and that the spin off takes full precedence over it. Thats actually a bit of a bummer

Darksiders III is a Deep Silver game
Yeah but that doesn't mean budgets are even remotely the same, and shenmue 3's hurdle isn't making back what deep silver put in its about making enough to fund 4, preferably at a not small budget.

I think thats comparing apples to oranges, like darksiders 3 is likely a huge aversion to the rule not the norm for anything THQ related.

For starters they don't NEED to do that, and even then I don't know if you are even allowed to do anything like that, I mean who the hell wants an employee of any kind just telling the public "yo our product, its flopped/selling gangbusters", thats something for a publisher to reveal when they feel fit to.
There have been plenty cases of an employee stating whether or not they have been satisfied with sales. Don't reps for Yakuza always let us know that so and so have been received well in the west,etc?

And you always seem to take my words quite literal, I meant it in a throw us a bone type of way man.

Yeah but that doesn't mean budgets are even remotely the same, and shenmue 3's hurdle isn't making back what deep silver put in its about making enough to fund 4, preferably at a not small budget.

If we get a IV with a similar budget as III as opposed to nothing at all I think everyone would take that. After all creating an entire new game in a new engine with a completely new fighting system takes time and money, and all those things are already in place to be polished on and improved rather than starting from scratch.

And again in regards to Darksiders that had zero kickstarter funding and Gunfire Games has 63 employees whereas YsNet have 45.

There have been plenty cases of an employee stating whether or not they have been satisfied with sales. Don't reps for Yakuza always let us know that so and so have been received well in the west,etc?

And you always seem to take my words quite literal, I meant it in a throw us a bone type of way man.
Yakuza does do that, but they do it months after the fact and usually only for the western releases from Nagoshi whose the CCO of Sega the company developing stuff alltogether inhouse, its different if its something like ysnet and deepsilver's working relationship where YS isnt in charge of financial reports for investors and all that.

They will say it in time, I just mean they really cant throw us a bone unless DS/THQ approve of them doing that, but its also only been a week anyway.

100% in agreement with DbL; if we got a game identical to this one (with tweaks and facelifts, of course, as it's all doable), I think we'd all be more than satisfied.

If we get a IV with a similar budget as III as opposed to nothing at all I think everyone would take that. After all creating an entire new game in a new engine with a completely new fighting system takes time and money, and all those things are already in place to be polished on and improved rather than starting from scratch.

And again in regards to Darksiders that had zero kickstarter funding and Gunfire Games has 63 employees whereas YsNet have 45.
Id take 4 with a similar budget over nothing absolutely, as you said all the big legwork is done

Yakuza does do that, but they do it months after the fact and usually only for the western releases from Nagoshi whose the CCO of Sega the company developing stuff alltogether inhouse, its different if its something like ysnet and deepsilver's working relationship where YS isnt in charge of financial reports for investors and all that.

They will say it in time, I just mean they really cant throw us a bone unless DS/THQ approve of them doing that, but its also only been a week anyway.
Alright with that description I definitely understand more. That would make sense.

Cedric did just retweet ShenmueGuide's tweet about the Japanese sales. Considering he seems to only retwee positive articles/reviews, this might be good? I know I'm grasping at straws lol, but we all are waiting in anticipation.

EDIT: Beaten by seconds lol!

It's #4 and appears ahead of Death Stranding. I think that's the 'positive' news.

Cedric did just retweet ShenmueGuide's tweet about the Japanese sales. Considering he seems to only retwee positive articles/reviews, this might be good? I know I'm grasping at straws lol, but we all are waiting in anticipation.

EDIT: Beaten by seconds lol!

honestly I think he reacting more as a fan than a producer in this case, he is not working in koch media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back