Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
50% chance of never seeing Shenmue 4...

Yikes, I didn't realize how huge that percent was back then.

I think that's Cedric basically giving a non-committal answer, which is fair given the early stages of sales etc.

That said we want a Shenmue 4 we need to let people know that we want one and also try and help Shenmue 3 where possible

Last edited:
50% chance of never seeing Shenmue 4...

Yikes, I didn't realize how huge that percent was back then.

50% chance, huh....

Dop56EMXoAEAYH9.jpg

It's too early to draw any conclusion, wait for the DLC to get out first. I'm sure they want to fully understand how much profitable fanbase is before planning anything else.

It's too early to draw any conclusion, wait for the DLC to get out first. I'm sure they want to fully understand how much profitable fanbase is before planning anything else.
Thanks for reminding me! I need the season pass... Simply forgot to get it yet!

On top of that, the Steam page for III has a release date of November 29, 2020. Wasn't there some ambiguity as to whether the exclusive period for Epic was strictly one year? Steam sales could factor in as well.

On top of that, the Steam page for III has a release date of November 29, 2020. Wasn't there some ambiguity as to whether the exclusive period for Epic was strictly one year? Steam sales could factor in as well.

It's a year for Shenmue 3, its a shame, steam really could have helped sales and all that EGS money went in Deep Silver's pocket, not YSNet

It's a year for Shenmue 3, its a shame, steam really could have helped sales and all that EGS money went in Deep Silver's pocket, not YSNet
I’d wager Epic have sold more copies than Steam would have. They’ve been very aggressive with their marketing to the point where I’d go as far as to say they’ve done a better job than DS.

I’d wager Epic have sold more copies than Steam would have. They’ve been very aggressive with their marketing to the point where I’d go as far as to say they’ve done a better job than DS.
They wouldn't be paying all that money for exclusivity if games could sold better there. Just take care of marketing. Steam still is the much bigger market.

yeah the epic deal/DS probably did screw this game a fair amount sales wise, all it really did was cause alot of bad blood for the franchise and the kickstarter and guarentee people are gonna spam its steam page with negative reviews once it releases.

Highly doubt that.
Of course you do...

I’m sure that the 12m targeted add views provided by Epic have had no impact on sales whatsoever. The game would definitely have been much better off on Steam, lost amongst the big new releases and with zero marketing push. The fantastic sales figures achieved by other games that have gone down the Epic exclusivity route are obviously just a fluke or the result of false information and there’s absolutely no chance of Shenmue selling any copies on Epic ever.

Or you know... maybe not.

No idea why youd think this.

Of course you do...

I’m sure that the 12m targeted add views provided by Epic have had no impact on sales whatsoever. The game would definitely have been much better off on Steam, lost amongst the big new releases and with zero marketing push. The fantastic sales figures achieved by other games that have gone down the Epic exclusivity route are obviously just a fluke or the result of false information and there’s absolutely no chance of Shenmue selling any copies on Epic ever.

Or you know... maybe not.

What fantastic sales figures ? Are you aware we have no sales figures save for some cryptic "better than the previous entry launch aligned" kind of sales ?
I'm just being realistic here. The people thinking Epic Store will save the game are just in for a rude awakening.
Why do you think their top 20 is updated like every 2 weeks ? Why do you think they don't display concurrent users for the games ? Why do you think next to no one is talking about sales ?

But yeah, of course I do. So let's adress that last part: For the last few months, I got the part that some people here want to side against anything that sounds negative toward Shenmue. I got that part that any criticism of a business decision or any negative thought is meant with anger, don't worry, other members also got the memo.

Now, you can stick your head into the sand and pretend everything is fine. But it's not going to change much.

No idea why youd think this.
Deep Silver have created about twenty different ads for the game and together they’ve accrued around 2m views. Epic’s upload of the launch trailer has surpassed 12m views and continues to climb at a rate of 3-4m views a week.

Aside from absolutely trouncing DS’s contribution in terms of views, it’s also worth noting that Epic’s upload of the ad is being shown to people who play video games (ie, the games target audience) whilst DS’s ads are being shown seemingly at random (I haven’t actually seen one despite spending plenty of time on Youtube and Facebook).

Were the game to have been on Steam instead, it would have missed out on a hell of a lot of free marketing (more importantly, the lion’s share).

Looking at the sales figures we have, it seems like Shenmue 3 has at best sold 100,000 copies on PS4 so far (and I think that’s being incredibly generous). I seem to recall an old poll suggesting that the split between console backers and PC backers was around 80-20, so with DS’s marketing alone, we’d probably be looking at 20,000 Steam sales tops.

Epic probably pre-purchased more copies than would have ever been sold on Steam.

Deep Silver have created about twenty different ads for the game and together they’ve accrued around 2m views. Epic’s upload of the launch trailer has surpassed 12m views and continues to climb at a rate of 3-4m views a week.

Aside from absolutely trouncing DS’s contribution in terms of views, it’s also worth noting that Epic’s upload of the ad is being shown to people who play video games (ie, the games target audience) whilst DS’s ads are being shown seemingly at random (I haven’t actually seen one despite spending plenty of time on Youtube and Facebook).

Were the game to have been on Steam instead, it would have missed out on a hell of a lot of free marketing (more importantly, the lion’s share).

Looking at the sales figures we have, it seems like Shenmue 3 has at best sold 100,000 copies on PS4 so far (and I think that’s being incredibly generous). I seem to recall an old poll suggesting that the split between console backers and PC backers was around 80-20, so with DS’s marketing alone, we’d probably be looking at 20,000 Steam sales tops.

Epic probably pre-purchased more copies than would have ever been sold on Steam.

Now you might be onto something. While I dont buy the rest, you're right that, they might have bought a good chunk of copies. More than ever been sold on Steam ? I don't know. Maybe. It all comes down to how much.
Now the thing is, YsNet saw no money from it.

Now you might be onto something. While I dont buy the rest, you're right that, they might have bought a good chunk of copies. More than ever been sold on Steam ? I don't know. Maybe. It all comes down to how much.
Now the thing is, YsNet saw no money from it.

Do you have a source for this? Of course by source, I mean somebody who would actually know and not some rando from Resetera or the Kickstarter comments...

Thats how the epic deal works and why its been appealing to so many indie devs and publishers, you just get promised a specific amount of copies sold for a year exclusivity however this really is only appealing in the regard of immediate financial relief more so than what shenmue needs, which proof that theres an audience to future investors to fund a 4th game. Like no matter what way you look at it, in no way does going "so our game got an inflated amount of sales from a fairly common deal epic games gave us, please give us money for shenmue 4 please" look good or bode well for the future of the franchise. The reason other games work out so well with this deal is they do actually have strong sales elsewhere

And yes deep silver is the one most likely seeing any benefit from the deal, they are publisher, games sold dont just suddenly go to the development team or funding for the next game, the only way it'd actually help shenmue 4 is if it helps motivate Deep Silver into wanting to invest themselves in the sequel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back