Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
If i had to bet tokens instead of money to appease the Chinese government the least they can do is approve the fuckin thing for sale :unsure: :LOL:
They made a lot of compromises in the Chinese version. The game not actually being set in China and instead a fictional place being the biggest. They are probably taking issue with Ryo being Japanese or something stupid like that. I expect most of the Chinese gamers who would have picked it up will have either imported or illegally purchased the game from a third part before the game ever comes out (assuming it ever does).

Thing is: Epic Top 20 seller list is inaccurate. It hasn't been updated since 3 weeks.

Yeah, the top 20 seller is not in order... I mean, they do are the top 20 sellers, but we don't know which is first, which is second and so on. In order to check the top 5 though, you may check the homepage. Here Shenmue III was in third spot for two weeks. It dropped out of the top 5 this Tuesday.

They made a lot of compromises in the Chinese version. The game not actually being set in China and instead a fictional place being the biggest. They are probably taking issue with Ryo being Japanese or something stupid like that. I expect most of the Chinese gamers who would have picked it up will have either imported or illegally purchased the game from a third part before the game ever comes out (assuming it ever does).

Where did you hear the Chinese version will not be set in China?

Shenmue 3 did not make the top 20 downloaded games on PSN for either Europe or America.

North America
  1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (1)
  2. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (New)
  3. Death Stranding (New)
  4. Need for Speed Heat (New)
  5. GTA V (9)
  6. NBA 2K20 (6)
  7. FIFA 20 (4)
  8. NFL 20 (RE)
  9. God of War (15)
  10. The Outer Worlds (3)
  11. Rainbow Six Siege (11)
  12. Spider-Man (16)
  13. Minecraft (5)
  14. Red Dead Redemption 2 (13)
  15. Castle Crashers Remastered (RE)
  16. Days Gone (RE)
  17. UFC 3 (RE)
  18. Ghost Recon Breakpoint (2)
  19. Assassin's Creed Odyssey (RE)
  20. Resident Evil 2 (RE)

Europe:

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare ( 1 )
  2. EA Sports FIFA 20 ( 2 )
  3. Need for Speed Heat ( New )
  4. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order ( New )
  5. Death Stranding ( New )
  6. Grand Theft Auto V ( 3 )
  7. Marvel’s Spider-Man ( 8 )
  8. Red Dead Redemption 2 ( 6 )
  9. God of War ( RE )
  10. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege ( RE )
  11. EA Sports UFC 3 ( 15 )
  12. Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition ( 5 )
  13. Rocket League ( 11 )
  14. Metro Exodus ( RE )
  15. Star Wars Battlefront II ( RE )
  16. The Sims 4 ( RE )
  17. Resident Evil 2 ( RE )
  18. NBA 2K20 ( RE )
  19. The Outer Worlds ( 7 )
  20. eFootball PES 2020 ( 14 )

Fuckin Castle Crashers Remastered??? Wasn't that a Flash game once upon a time?

Why can't Rockstar take pity on ol' Yu and let him have a cubicle in Glasgow or wherever the hell they're making games these days? GTAV's success is obscene. I remember reading ages ago one of the lead programmers on that game said he'd like to resurrect Shenmue.

[edit]

Even worse, GTAV's dialogue supervisor...

Will Morton has a loftier ambition: "I would love to work on bringing Shenmue back to life," he says. "I'm genuinely a big fan of Shenmue 1 on the Dreamcast and Shenmue 2 on the Xbox. I would love be able to help re-envisage that for the next gen."

Can you even imagine...

Last edited:
Shenmue 3 did not make the top 20 downloaded games on PSN for either Europe or America.

North America
  1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (1)
  2. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (New)
  3. Death Stranding (New)
  4. Need for Speed Heat (New)
  5. GTA V (9)
  6. NBA 2K20 (6)
  7. FIFA 20 (4)
  8. NFL 20 (RE)
  9. God of War (15)
  10. The Outer Worlds (3)
  11. Rainbow Six Siege (11)
  12. Spider-Man (16)
  13. Minecraft (5)
  14. Red Dead Redemption 2 (13)
  15. Castle Crashers Remastered (RE)
  16. Days Gone (RE)
  17. UFC 3 (RE)
  18. Ghost Recon Breakpoint (2)
  19. Assassin's Creed Odyssey (RE)
  20. Resident Evil 2 (RE)

Europe:

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare ( 1 )
  2. EA Sports FIFA 20 ( 2 )
  3. Need for Speed Heat ( New )
  4. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order ( New )
  5. Death Stranding ( New )
  6. Grand Theft Auto V ( 3 )
  7. Marvel’s Spider-Man ( 8 )
  8. Red Dead Redemption 2 ( 6 )
  9. God of War ( RE )
  10. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege ( RE )
  11. EA Sports UFC 3 ( 15 )
  12. Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition ( 5 )
  13. Rocket League ( 11 )
  14. Metro Exodus ( RE )
  15. Star Wars Battlefront II ( RE )
  16. The Sims 4 ( RE )
  17. Resident Evil 2 ( RE )
  18. NBA 2K20 ( RE )
  19. The Outer Worlds ( 7 )
  20. eFootball PES 2020 ( 14 )

Well, still consider that Shenmue 3 actually became available on the 19th, so it was out just for 10 days in November.

This doom and gloom is becoming quite depressing, the game has not even been out a month and already acting as if the series is dead, I mean we see enough of this on other forums and news outlets. I get it didn't make the top 20 and I think we all knew this since the game was a kickstarter but lately so much negativity and I am beginning to wonder..

We have a lot of newer members now and while I am not chasing off the new folks, I am beginning to wonder if there are trolls coming in attempting to antagonize the community.

This doom and gloom is becoming quite depressing, the game has not even been out a month and already acting as if the series is dead, I mean we see enough of this on other forums and news outlets. I get it didn't make the top 20 and I think we all knew this since the game was a kickstarter but lately so much negativity and I am beginning to wonder..

We have a lot of newer members now and while I am not chasing off the new folks, I am beginning to wonder if there are trolls coming in attempting to antagonize the community.

But that's just it; if it was supposed to a hot cakes game, then we can worry.

But it was out for literally 11 days in November; for a non-hot cakes game, would it even be possible to sell that high?

As always, this all means nothing until it comes straight from the horse's mouth.

Also this game is an Indie game really - Death Stranding is Kojima AAA and is Sony's Pillar release for Holiday season 2019 (for some wierd reason even though I'm from the UK I resort to Americanisms when talking about money and sales!) there have been TV adverts and masses of advertising online for the game. Shenmue? I'm not sure theres been much beyond the social media type thing. The other PS4 release is a Star Wars game - we're not talking same league here we're talking different sports.

If we think the budget is ~$10 Million how many copies does it have to sell by years end to earn that back? (Lets assume if it makes the full budget back from sales even though 6.5 ish of the 10 was from Kickstarter and 70k sales were KS pre-orders we are all in on a sequel).

Mars have to sell a hell of a lot of chocolate bars to turn a profit but your local more artisan shop can get fat in more ways than one on a lot less.

If the average cost of the retail game is $50, 100,000 copies would earn $5mil but I know that they don’t get all $50 cuz of all the fees, royalties and licensing, etc.

We already know they sold about 25,000 copies in Japan and that 10,000 LEs sold out worldwide. Fill in the blanks. Obviously 75,000 more copies wouldn’t be earth shattering, but you have a good point that it doesn’t need to come runner-up to Pokémon Sword and Shield to be considered a success by its publisher.

Last edited:
If the average cost of the retail game is $50, 100,000 copies would earn $5mil but I know that they don’t get all $50 cuz of all the fees, royalties and licensing, etc.

We already know they sold about 25,000 copies in Japan and that 10,000 LEs sold out worldwide. Fill in the blanks.
I reckon its a lot less. If a retail game is $50/60 I would expect them to only get around $10-15 of that price back as profit.

The UK as an example is £50 for a game but we have VAT in that price so £10 in taxes, £40.
I reckon the retailer is taking ~£20 of that sale price.
You've then probably got somewhere around £5 in costs and distribution.
Which leaves around £15 going to the publisher.

Also Sony has a to take a cut on console as well, so for your $60 game I think $10 back is a pretty keen price. Digital you might see that bump up to $15 if you are very lucky.

Now hopefully Yu managed to get a good publisher deal because he rocked up with almost all of the budget reducing the cut that Deep Silver would take as they aren't taking on anywhere near the fiscal risk.

Long and short of it - if you want to make good money, don't make video games. Unless your Rockstar in which case just make 1 every 5 years.

Feel like the fact the publisher and producer are based in European countries that likely have interesting tax laws could also be a hidden benefit or positive. I’m guessing Monaco isn’t home to many video game publishers, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the government put a little money into the game as well.

yes I know I’m probably full of shit but someone’s got to give out a little light

Last edited:
Feel like the fact the publisher and producer are based in European countries that likely have interesting tax laws could also be a hidden benefit or positive. I’m guessing Monaco isn’t home to many video game publishers, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the government put a little money into the game as well.

yes I know I’m probably full of shit but someone’s got to give out a little light
Monaco basically has no tax for income but the wages are very high as a result of it being full of millionaires.

But Deep Silver are actually based in Germany. I'd imagine YS Net is registered in Japan.

I doubt it will make a huge difference to sales numbers as all tax would be on profits - video games these days are a difficult industry to be in to be in the position that you need pay tax (other than lots of sales tax).

Do those charts include Kickstarter sales? Digital purchase? PC sales? Too many variables to be gloomy about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back