Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but reading my post again, I was afraid people would feel attacked or hurt when it wasn't my intention.

I know no one here meant any harm.
That's cool. What you were getting at is valid. I wouldn't worry :)

RIP Shenmue IV

I am pretty damn interested to see what the outcome is on Wednesday. Cedric has said a few times that he is happy but I guess he is only 1 part of the whole pie. At the same time, you'd think that Deep Silver would have recouped their initial investment from the EGS deal alone (which is why the deal made sense IMO). Hopefully they will go into details, and at the same time, will just bluntly say "We are happy" or "It under-performed".

I hope the livestream will be easy to find! Going to try carve sometime out on Wed to watch it live if so :D

P.S Fuck Gamstat ;)

Last edited:
I am pretty damn interested to see what the outcome is on Wednesday. Cedric has said a few times that he is happy but I guess he is only 1 part of the whole pie. At the same time, you'd think that Deep Silver would have recouped their initial investment from the EGS deal alone (which is why the deal made sense IMO). Hopefully they will go into details, and at the same time, will just bluntly say "We are happy" or "It under-performed".

Hopefully the livestream will be easy to find! Going to try carve sometime out on Wed to watch it live if so :D

P.S Fuck Gamstat ;)

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is going to happen on Wednesday?

I can't pretend to know the truth, but we know AT LEAST 20,000 copies sold in Japan in Shenmue 3's first couple weeks. How could Shenmue 3 possibly only sell an additional 30K copies outside of Japan for the remainder of 2019? That doesn't add up. Shenmue isn't that popular in Japan and 20K of 50K copies sold in Japan doesn't make any logical sense. I just can't accept 50K sold worldwide as a real number. I know I unleashed this genie and I regret it, though the DLC news seems to have quickly scrubbed away any articles about sales, but I don't think 50K is remotely close to what this game did just based on the fact we know what Shenmue 3 sold in Japan.

Hey yo,

I've been on a break from Shenmue and the Dojo over the last month as i was trying to focus heavily on other areas in my life. I've been meaning to take a break in general, but wanted to stick it out until Shenmue 3 was released and everything began to settle down. After reading the latest "news" and seeing how important next week is, I couldn't stand back and let you guys face it alone, so for what its worth, Im back.....for now.

azqj8.gif

I'll say a few things

1) This entire forecast situation and the media jumping on it like a pack of wolves is directly down to certain members of the community. This was a self inflicted wound. Anything you post on Resetera is read by "journalists" and let's be honest, none of them can be bothered to do any real journalism, they just want quick clickbait headlines to get views. No real investigation into the news to see if its accurate. No contacting Deep Silver or Epic for a comment. Nothing. They just need attention in any shape or form. Ethics and morals be damned. I've seen this happen many times.

I kept an eye on the timeline of all of this and Ghosttrick is right in his earlier comment

Although with all due respect to Dojo, the sales news is on you guys. Basically, it has come down this way: Dojo -> ERA -> News sites reading ERA -> Other news outlet following. Maybe people should be more cautious when digging for informations like this and should've waited patiently for the full report.

Thats exactly how i noticed it play out. Im not saying don't post such information (I personally wouldn't but its up to you), but what i am saying is be careful in the future, and yeah maybe wait until you have some concrete facts and hard figures before you poke the hornet's nest.

2) This 50k figure, i call complete BS on. That's just my opinion, but to me it doesnt make any sense, especially when you consider the timeline of the japanese and uk sales. That happened very early on in Shenmue 3's release. When you consider preorders, digital, Epic sales, Special editions, sales over seas, etc etc, there's no way that amounts to 50k total. If it is, fair enough, i'll eat my hat. But i cant see it being true. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. Either way, we'll find out next week.

3) My final point is, no matter what happens next week, good or bad, there's one thing i can be d@mn sure of, the Shenmue community as a whole has nothing to be ashamed about. All of us across the dojo, twitter, youtube, 500k, team yu, etc etc, we all done our part. We may have argued, thrown abuse at each other, been friends, formed rivalries, like each other, dislike each other, but when Sh!t had to be done, we all united and put in 1000% effort. If Shenmue 3 becomes a failure, its not down to the community. We did everything we could and then some. Rather, its down to the constant bad decisions that were made along the way from practically everyone involved in Shenmue 3's development and promotion. I might do a case study on this down the road, we'll see. If it becomes a success, then my god did we climb countless mountains to reach that success.

Either way, stay strong and let's march on to next week. We'll face that fateful day head on, together.

source.gif

Hey yo,

I've been on a break from Shenmue and the Dojo over the last month as i was trying to focus heavily on other areas in my life. I've been meaning to take a break in general, but wanted to stick it out until Shenmue 3 was released and everything began to settle down. After reading the latest "news" and seeing how important next week is, I couldn't stand back and let you guys face it alone, so for what its worth, Im back.....for now.

azqj8.gif

I'll say a few things

1) This entire forecast situation and the media jumping on it like a pack of wolves is directly down to certain members of the community. This was a self inflicted wound. Anything you post on Resetera is read by "journalists" and let's be honest, none of them can be bothered to do any real journalism, they just want quick clickbait headlines to get views. No real investigation into the news to see if its accurate. No contacting Deep Silver or Epic for a comment. Nothing. They just need attention in any shape or form. Ethics and morals be damned. I've seen this happen many times.

I kept an eye on the timeline of all of this and Ghosttrick is right in his earlier comment

Thats exactly how i noticed it play out. Im not saying don't post such information (I personally wouldn't but its up to you), but what i am saying is be careful in the future, and yeah maybe wait until you have some concrete facts and hard figures before you poke the hornet's nest.

2) This 50k figure, i call complete BS on. That's just my opinion, but to me it doesnt make any sense, especially when you consider the timeline of the japanese and uk sales. That happened very early on in Shenmue 3's release. When you consider preorders, digital, Epic sales, Special editions, sales over seas, etc etc, there's no way that amounts to 50k total. If it is, fair enough, i'll eat my hat. But i cant see it being true. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. Either way, we'll face it together come next week.

3) My final point is, no matter what happens next week, good or bad, there's one thing i can be d@mn sure of, the Shenmue community as a whole has nothing to be ashamed about. All of us across the dojo, twitter, youtube, 500k, team yu, etc etc, we all done our part. We may have argued, thrown abuse at each other, been friends, formed rivalries, like each other, dislike each other, but when Sh!t had to be done, we all united and put in 1000% effort in. If Shenmue 3 becomes a failure, its not down to the community. We did everything we could and then some. Rather, its down to the constant bad decisions that were made along the way from practically everyone involved in Shenmue 3's development and promotion. I might do a case study on this down the road, we'll see. If it becomes a success, then my god did we climb countless mountains to reach that success.

Either way, stay strong and let's march on to next week. We'll face that fateful day head on, together.

source.gif
Damn it's good to have you back! Hope all is well.

I can't pretend to know the truth, but we know AT LEAST 20,000 copies sold in Japan in Shenmue 3's first couple weeks. How could Shenmue 3 possibly only sell an additional 30K copies outside of Japan for the remainder of 2019? That doesn't add up. Shenmue isn't that popular in Japan and 20K of 50K copies sold in Japan doesn't make any logical sense. I just can't accept 50K sold worldwide as a real number. I know I unleashed this genie and I regret it, though the DLC news seems to have quickly scrubbed away any articles about sales, but I don't think 50K is remotely close to what this game did just based on the fact we know what Shenmue 3 sold in Japan.
As has been pointed out on numerous occasions, Gamestat’s figures also include backer copies. We’re talking about 30,000 or so confirmed sales (Japan, Spain and special editions) plus up to 70,000 backer copies (depending on whether people chose PS4 or PC). At this point I don’t understand how we’re even still debating whether or not Gamestat’s figures are even remotely accurate.

I wouldn’t worry too much about your role in this though. In all likelihood, you digging up that information lead to use receiving the story DLC earlier than planned. If the report does have any legitimacy, we’d have found out next Wednesday anyway and if it doesn’t, Wednesday will hopefully show as much.

For what it’s worth, I still wouldn’t recommend posting stuff like this on Resetera in the future, but ultimately, none of this is on you.

I’m what can be considered a fairly new fan, having only played the whole series on PS4, my opinion is as a newcomer.

I found the HD remasters charming, but totally of their time. I wouldn’t expect a game to be made to that standard nowadays. That is where Shenmue 3 falls over. It was expected to really progress the series, drive new ideas, trailblaze like the originals did... but it was more of the same, if not worse.

Yu Suzuki had a chance to make a statement with this game but totally fluffed it. I feel sorry for anyone that invested heavily into it as it’s a bit of a letdown when compared to 2.

I’m what can be considered a fairly new fan, having only played the whole series on PS4, my opinion is as a newcomer.

I found the HD remasters charming, but totally of their time. I wouldn’t expect a game to be made to that standard nowadays. That is where Shenmue 3 falls over. It was expected to really progress the series, drive new ideas, trailblaze like the originals did... but it was more of the same, if not worse.

Yu Suzuki had a chance to make a statement with this game but totally fluffed it. I feel sorry for anyone that invested heavily into it as it’s a bit of a letdown when compared to 2.

Sorry to hear. Most of old fans and plenty of new fans are so charmed by the original game's feel, we actually wanted it to be a lot of the same. Near 20 years is quite a long time, the uncanny similarity is a confort, to be sure. Suzuki also was influenced a bit with excess fan service to pander more to Kickstarter and some consulting influences behind the scene. If you try to play game again to give another perspective, I feel it'd be worthwhile. Shen4 and Shen5 won't be under crowdfund pressure (even if they do go there again, I feel they'll play a lot closer to chest after learning from the Shen3) with Yu's original vision to have a lot more new with some of the best older ideas; outweigh and ignore the influence of backers.

I would've loved to see more a larger ratio of new to old, too. Same time, though, the comfort of feeling like the Dreamcast games in a new engine on new systems of a different generation 20 years on, really is an amazing luxury. Plenty of opportunity in future installments to play new stuff.

Sorry to hear. Most of old fans and plenty of new fans are so charmed by the original game's feel, we actually wanted it to be a lot of the same. Near 20 years is quite a long time, the uncanny similarity is a confort, to be sure. Suzuki also was influenced a bit with excess fan service to pander more to Kickstarter and some consulting influences behind the scene. If you try to play game again to give another perspective, I feel it'd be worthwhile. Shen4 and Shen5 won't be under crowdfund pressure (even if they do go there again, I feel they'll play a lot closer to chest after learning from the Shen3) with Yu's original vision to have a lot more new with some of the best older ideas; outweigh and ignore the influence of backers.

I would've loved to see more a larger ratio of new to old, too. Same time, though, the comfort of feeling like the Dreamcast games in a new engine on new systems of a different generation 20 years on, really is an amazing luxury. Plenty of opportunity in future installments to play new stuff.

My post was a reasoning for lacklustre sales. You can’t follow up a niche, clichéd duo of games with more of the same (if not worse) and expect huge sales. It was always doomed to failure.

Yu Suzuki hasn’t made anything of note for nearly 2 decades and it certainly shows.

My post was a reasoning for lacklustre sales. You can’t follow up a niche, clichéd duo of games with more of the same (if not worse) and expect huge sales. It was always doomed to failure.

Yu Suzuki hasn’t made anything of note for nearly 2 decades and it certainly shows.
Perhaps to you it does.

I don’t think anybody expected ‘huge sales’ and so with that in mind, I don’t see how failing to achieve ‘huge sales’ makes the game a failure. Yu Suzuki’s mandate following the Kickstarter was to create another Shenmue game, which, even the harshest of critics acknowledge Shenmue 3 is.

The game has its issues, but Yu Suzuki and his team have provided exactly what they told backers they were going to provide. In that regard, I think the game is an overwhelming success. The game might go down as a commercial failure, but that was always going to be the case no matter what they put out (unless of course they produced an entirely different game to the originals, in which case the game would truly be a failure). I can’t speak for Yu’s intentions, but I very much doubt Shenmue 3 and the continuation was ever about lining his pockets.

Gotta admit, sorta forgot what thread I was in haha. How were they cliche? Furthermore, you can follow up a niche game to keep always holding the same core essence because it was saved by grassroots movements. Did you expect or want the game to be Red Dead Shenmue? Regardless whether the game had a 50/50 or 70/30 or wherever in-between of new ideas to old classic features; losing the--pardon my oxymoron--intangible feel of the Dreamcast games would've made the entire project and fan campaign, redundant.

I just find it hard to understand how anyone can expect a pretty cult game to get better sales figures than what it’s achieved.

It’s not even the best game in the series, in fact it’s the worst.

I’d be very disappointed if I was one of the people that invested £10k in it.

Lets wait and see what happens. We have that "report" which signals doom and gloom, and then we have Cedric saying hes happy with shenmue 3. Then we have our own speculations.

The way i see it, there's no clear answer. Only mixed messages of good and bad. Hopefully we can put it all to rest come Wednesday.

What time does that deep silver thing start?

Lets wait and see what happens. We have that "report" which signals doom and gloom, and then we have Cedric saying hes happy with shenmue 3. Then we have our own speculations.

The way i see it, there's no clear answer. Only mixed messages of good and bad. Hopefully we can put it all to rest come Wednesday.

What time does that deep silver thing start?
We won’t get any sales figures in the quarterly report. The best we can hope for is that an investor asks about it during the earnings call following the presentation.

Gotta admit, sorta forgot what thread I was in haha. How were they cliche? Furthermore, you can follow up a niche game to keep always holding the same core essence because it was saved by grassroots movements. Did you expect or want the game to be Red Dead Shenmue? Regardless whether the game had a 50/50 or 70/30 or wherever in-between of new ideas to old classic features; losing the--pardon my oxymoron--intangible feel of the Dreamcast games would've made the entire project and fan campaign, redundant.

Sorry I didn’t really answer your question.

Clichéd because revenge... murdered father... yadda yadda yadda

Ding ding ding. There's no Shenmue curse. Just a string of bad decisions. It was a bad decision to be PS4 exclusive for peanuts (an E3 showing and a marketing help that never happened). It was a bad decision to hire Awesome Japan for the KS campaign.
It was a bad decision to go Epic Store exclusive for a bag of cash that not only didn't even benefit the game nor YsNet but also killed any chance for another kickstarter.

A bad word of mouth that was never properly adressed, always in an amateurish way. And when you consider that in the end, the game ends up being decent but not amazing... Yeah.

Although with all due respect to Dojo, the sales news is on you guys. Basically, it has come down this way: Dojo -> ERA -> News sites reading ERA -> Other news outlet following. Maybe people should be more cautious when digging for informations like this and should've waited patiently for the full report.
Most of this I agree with. Except for the Sony e3 thing. I dont believe the KS would have made as much or had as much momentum if it werent for on Sony's E3 stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back