Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next week, I just want them to say Shenmue sold good enough. That way we can all finally blo0dy relax. Being a shenmue fan over the last 20 years is like a permanent state of fear and anxiety at every little detail.

Hopefully this time next week, we'll have some concrete answers

I agree with every word of this, but would actually go a step further and say that the poor decisions have been being made since the beginning of the Shenmue franchise, not just S3. The blank check production, the decision to switch production across three separate consoles, the decision to make S2 an Xbox exclusive in NA. There’s a long back catalogue of errors of judgement and poor decisions that have lead to the series being seen as an overpriced failure.

I cannot comment on too many of these. However, I would contend that if it was not for the “Blank Check Production” the Shenmue series would not be as fondly remembered today. The realistic graphics and other elements taken for granted in open world games today started with Shenmue. It was just unfortunate that Shenmue had to become the proverbial canary in the coal mine. Also while there is no doubt that the first two Shenmue games suffered from poor decisions, I think bad luck played just as much of a role. After all, there are plenty of successful video games that are developed from publishers who make poor business decisions.

Last edited:
I cannot comment on too many of these. However, I would contend that if it was not for the “Blank Check Production” the Shenmue series would not be as fondly remembered today. The realistic graphics and other elements taken for granted in open world games today started with Shenmue. It was just unfortunate that Shenmue had to become the proverbial canary in the coal mine. Also while there is no doubt that the first two Shenmue games suffered from poor decisions, I think bad luck played just as much of a role. After all, there are plenty of successful video games that are developed from publishers who make poor business decisions.
Even tho Shenmue failed due to being a victim of circumstances, the legacy is still unmatched and one of the most influential title of the 21st century. Treasures(A Valuable IP) on a sinking ship(SEGA) scenario. A lot of mainstream modern gamer's sadly...don't know the value of this gem resurfacing(shenmue's comeback) from the forgotten sea of time. :(

Asking Cedric about sales is pointless and irrealistic. Even if he had sales numbers, why do Dojo think that he would breach any NDA and talk on behalf of Deep Silver which is the publisher ?

Damn I didnt know that lol. I feel like a dumbass now. I keep tweeting him for a response and he never replies. Well now I'm educated😅

Damn I didnt know that lol. I feel like a dumbass now. I keep tweeting him for a response and he never replies. Well now I'm educated😅
You're never gonna get info out of anyone ahead of a press release or official announcement. That's why I tend to avoid reading into anything anyone Tweets. Best thing to do is pry and try to Google for information, but I guess that can lead to a whole other set of issues.

Should note Shenmue 3 shot up from the 2 or 3 thousands yesterday on Amazon to the 900s today since the price drop.

#973 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)
#175 in PlayStation 4 Games

Appears to have helped in UK as well:

Imagine what a PS+ copy of Shenmue 1 & 2 would do... Fingers crossed for March. :eek:

But as long as sales stay kind of steady until Steam launch, I think things should be ok...

I'd be interested in knowing what the growth figures looked like from just the beginning of the year, since that might better demonstrate the percentage of sales beyond last quarter's report from Deep Silver of "fine." Perhaps losing those 21 days wouldn't shift the results greatly, but it could be nice to be able to interpret the numbers more in line with the publisher's perspective.

Do you keep these in a spreadsheet, by the way? If so, it seems like you might have enough data points by now to begin to model a growth curve.

I'd be interested in knowing what the growth figures looked like from just the beginning of the year, since that might better demonstrate the percentage of sales beyond last quarter's report from Deep Silver of "fine." Perhaps losing those 21 days wouldn't shift the results greatly, but it could be nice to be able to interpret the numbers more in line with the publisher's perspective.

Do you keep these in a spreadsheet, by the way? If so, it seems like you might have enough data points by now to begin to model a growth curve.
I’m afraid I don’t, but if someone were so inclined they could go through this thread and dig them all out. As for growth for the calendar year...

Continuous Growth 01/01 - 03/12:
PSN Profiles: 1295->2142 (+65%).
True Trophies: 1166->1568 (+34%).
PSN Trophy Leaders: 2415->3105 (+29%)

Without having any confirmed figures, it’s not so useful for guessing how many sales there have been, but it does show the game is still selling steadily.

What would really put my mind as ease if they said that Shenmue 3 sold well enough for Shenmue 4. I'm sure it's been said already they probably dont want to announce Shenmue 4 while promoting Shenmue 3/DLC.

After seeing that tweet from Cedric Biscay stating, "1,2,3,4." I'm very confident in Shenmue 4 being announced.

Alright boys I was out like a month

Do we have some news?
Yeah, wasn't there an earnings thing that was supposed to provide actual numbers? Or was that just the investor call that lead to the "it did fine" comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back