Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. I guess no company has ever announced sales because sales are still ongoing.

Ok.

We know it was DS’s main revenue driver for the period so regardless of how you want to frame it (in your case it’s always the worst possible way), it can’t be all bad taking the above info into account. It doesn’t mean it broke any records, but it didn’t bomb either.

There's no point for Deep Silver to release figures four months after the games release, especially when the last DLC dropped this month. I don't think they've even released sales figures for their other releases from last year, except for partial Metro Exodus sales.

But okay - let's say they release the figures for 3 and they are pretty mediocre - will that make you happy?
Seems some people around here just want the franchise to wallow in the shit.
No, I wouldn't be happy. I wish Shenmue was a huge success and I wish we had a guarantee the series would be seen to completion.

I just don't have any interest in pretending that a niche game that got panned in reviews is going to automatically have publishers swarming to fund a sequel. I prefer realistic worldviews over believing posting positive messages online will bring my dreams to fruition.

I just don't have any interest in pretending that a niche game that got panned in reviews is going to automatically have publishers swarming to fund a sequel. I prefer realistic worldviews over believing posting positive messages online will bring my dreams to fruition.

Did you miss the entire social media campaign #saveshenmue which was pretty much all about that.

EDIT: if an average of 6.8 review is being universally panned then I'm clearly living in a different world. To my mind that's reviewed averagely to mixed. Some good some bad, most in the middle.

No, I was a part of it every day on twitter. But that was before Shenmue 3 released. Everything is different now.

No, I was a part of it every day on twitter. But that was before Shenmue 3 released. Everything is different now.
Things are different. There is a divide but the message remains the same.

That's why month on month the #LetsGetShenmue4 has grown each time and why I continue to see people discovering and liking Shenmue III on twitter. While people want to believe it's been universally poorly received that reality is that while it may not have been the success we hoped, more people have found a game they like with Shenmue III. Especially outside of here

I know I sound like a hypocrite being what, the 1st or 2nd most active person on this forum, but it honestly sounds like some of you have been posting the same negative things against this game for five months now and somehow still manage to dedicate 1,000+ words each time. Maybe it's just time to move on? I didn't love the game--in fact I'm not sure I liked it either--but I at least feel like I still have some general interest in the series in spite of that. Maybe just focus on something more positive about the series if Shenmue 3 is that hard on your soul? You're just beating a dead horse at this point...
I agree, you do sound like a bit of a hypocrite because I see your posts on Resetera :p You're persistently negative on there, and if that's how you feel then that's fine -- it's your right to post whatever the hell you like -- but maybe you can take some of your own advice 🤭

Guess no company has never not announced sales for a game before, every step of the way. Every other video game since the 1970s has announced sales, good, bad, and ugly, for sure.

Ok

Some of you are just determined to troll this. Again, you may be perfectly correct that it sold ten copies, or it may sell millions. Fact of the matter is, you know no better than I do, or Sonoshee does, or TwiceFriedRice does. So rather than the constant smug attitude about it, maybe find some data or quit posting. Enough.
Finding out about video game sales info is incredibly hard for the most part. Game companies don't release sales data or budgets the same way Hollywood studios do unless the sales are extremely good and even then, it's usually in terms of the nebulous "units sold", which doesn't factor in price (games can be purchased on sale over many months or years, after all, unlike the box office). It's certainly not true that every game since the 1970s has announced sales data; the Secret of Monkey Island's sales "data", for instance, consists of "north of 100,000, far south of 1 million". What could that possibly mean in terms of dollars and cents?

Last edited:
I agree, you do sound like a bit of a hypocrite because I see your posts on Resetera :p You're persistently negative on there, and if that's how you feel then that's fine -- it's your right to post whatever the hell you like -- but maybe you can take some of your own advice 🤭
Thanks for monitoring my off-site activities. I'll keep your suggestions in mind. Honestly, though, if you can't see the difference in what I'm posting and what they're posting, then I don't know what to say. I feel I am trying to be constructive and continue supporting the series in spite of my misgivings and I also feel like I post in a variety of threads about a variety of different aspects of the game and series. A lot of what I see here is just the same blanket negativity and the same exact arguments ad nauseam, as well as arguments that 'true fans' shouldn't like this or 'true fans' shouldn't like that, which I feel I am not doing at all.. Perhaps I am guilty of the same! I understand it is hard to read criticism of something you like, so perhaps that is what you take exception to.

Last edited:
Finding out about video game sales info is incredibly hard for the most part. Game companies don't release sales data or budgets the same way Hollywood studios do unless the sales are extremely good and even then, it's usually in terms of the nebulous "units sold", which doesn't factor in price (games can be purchased on sale over many months or years, after all, unlike the box office). It's certainly not true that every game since the 1970s has announced sales data; the Secret of Monkey Island's sales "data", for instance, consists of "north of 100,000, far south of 1 million". What could that possibly mean in terms of dollars and cents?
The post was a sarcastic answer to the one it quoted, I know we don't have sales for every game released in the last 50+ years.

But you illustrate how asinine it is that this thread has 92 pages of posts when we literally have a week each of sales data from two different continents, and a quote saying "it met expectations".

The post was a sarcastic answer to the one it quoted, I know we don't have sales for every game released in the last 50+ years.

But you illustrate how asinine it is that this thread has 92 pages of posts when we literally have a week each of sales data from two different continents, and a quote saying "it met expectations".
Apologies, I didn't realize it was sarcasm. Agreed there isn't enough data to say one way or the other but you can't exactly blame Shenmue fans for freaking out about this sort of thing. I mean, everyone is assuming Death Stranding also didn't sell well but no one is worried about Kojima getting to make another high profile game.

Thanks for monitoring my off-site activities. I'll keep your suggestions in mind. Honestly, though, if you can't see the difference in what I'm posting and what they're posting, then I don't know what to say. I feel I am trying to be constructive and continue supporting the series in spite of my misgivings and I also feel like I post in a variety of threads about a variety of different aspects of the game and series. A lot of what I see here is just the same blanket negativity and the same exact arguments ad nauseam, as well as arguments that 'true fans' shouldn't like this or 'true fans' shouldn't like that, which I feel I am not doing at all.. Perhaps I am guilty of the same! I understand it is hard to read criticism of something you like, so perhaps that is what you take exception to.
You know, if you're going to subject yourself to the cesspit that is r*setera anyways, you might as well send @Spaghetti a PM (assuming the site has those) and ask why that cunt abandoned us. One of the times someone posted a link on here, I saw him in the thread. I think... maybe I just hallucinated that.

Anyways, you're alright in my book m8. You're a little more negative while I prefer to focus on the positive as well as things I consider actionable (as opposed to things that are out of my control), but I've never once lumped you in with people I suspect might feel a little gleeful when criticizing or doomposting about S3. I don't think you'd spend hours scouring Japanese sites you can't read looking for S4 hints if you were (thanks for that btw :ROFLMAO:, you've legitimately found some interesting stuff doing so).

You know, if you're going to subject yourself to the cesspit that is r*setera anyways, you might as well send @Spaghetti a PM (assuming the site has those) and ask why that cunt abandoned us. One of the times someone posted a link on here, I saw him in the thread. I think... maybe I just hallucinated that.

I miss @Spaghetti contributions. Unfortunately he hasn’t been active on Resetera and seems to have stopped posting right before Shenmue 3’s release. I do hope he comes back at some point, I’d really like to hear his thoughts and impressions of the game.

Last edited:
I am not here to rain on anyone’s parade, but I can’t help but post my honest feedback. I realize I’m a huge hypocrite; but I felt like some posters literally keep making the same post over and over again and I can’t believe they keep going. Maybe I’m doing the same. ! The truth is I just really love the series and am a huge admirer of Yu Suzuki’s, so I only want the best for this community and the series.

I assume Spaghetti is just neck deep in Shenmue 3 and wants to hide out until he’s done. Or maybe he hasn’t even started It yet!?

I miss @Spaghetti contributions. Unfortunately he hasn’t been active on Resetera and seems to not posted right before Shenmue 3’s release. I do hope he comes back at some point, I’d really like to hear his thoughts and impressions of the game.
I hope he wont mind me saying this but Spaghetti is all ok. He's focussed on work at the moment. I'm not sure if/when he will come back but all is well otherwise

I miss @Spaghetti contributions. Unfortunately he hasn’t been active on Resetera and seems to have stopped posting right before Shenmue 3’s release. I do hope he comes back at some point, I’d really like to hear his thoughts and impressions of the game.
Glad to hear I didn't just imagine that then. It'd be kind of hilarious (and terrible) if he came back as the biggest S3 hater of all time. And to @mjqjazzbar, no, you definitely aren't doing the same so don't worry about that. Just keep doing your thing. (y)

I hope he wont mind me saying this but Spaghetti is all ok. He's focussed on work at the moment. I'm not sure if/when he will come back but all is well otherwise

That’s great to hear he’s doing okay. I do hope he returns at some point, it’s important more than ever the Shenmue community keeps passion burning and he was a great advocator for that.

I read a bit of your last posts here and you are not one of the trolls, don't worry.

Like we said -a million times- it's not about if you liked it or not.

I read a bit of your last posts here and you are not one of the trolls, don't worry.

Like we said -a million times- it's not about if you liked it or not.
Does anyone like anyone here 🤣🤣

I'm not suggesting you're in the same league as someone who writes 500+ words on why Shenmue III is actually terrible and goes over the same points again and again at every opportunity, I just thought it was a tad hypocritical, that's all. I'm not "monitoring" anybody's activity or finding it hard to read criticism. I read both forums -- that's the extent of it.

I still like your posts and think you're a dedicated, valuable member of the community. That call-out was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. No hard feelings :coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back