Status
Not open for further replies.

FRASIER

“I’m listening”
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Rocket League
When and how would we know what the game took in it's opening week, month etc?

I paid £49.99 for my copy at GAME. How much of that does the dev get etc? I'm just wondering in terms of the potential likelihood of there being enough and more for the development of S4!

I know that in Amazon it is on 78th on best sales.
In all games? PS4 games? That's a terrible result if true. Hard to believe too, surely the amount of hardcore fans buying CE copies would be enough to get it higher?

Amazon UK :#17 (D1) and #21 (CE). All PS4 games sorted by best sellers.
Amazon USA #9 All PS4 INCLUDING consoles, games and accesories - good result as no incentives
Game UK #9 All PS4 games, sorted by Best Sellers.
Simply Games UK #2 (CE) #6 (D1) All PS4 games, sorted by Best Sellers
Base.Com (UK Site) #3 All PS4 games, sorted by Best Sellers
Best Buy USA #6. All PS4 games, sorted by Best Sellers
Amazon JPN #19 and #24 All PS4 games, sorted by Best Sellers

No PC or Digital Sales accounted for

If anyone wants to share this data across other sites be my guest

Last edited:
Worth noting that Amazon USA the CE is #48 - as an import from the UK. That's 10 places higher than domestic Terminator Resistance !

did u guys really think it was going to sell gangbusters, i believe you should put your expectations in check, it never was going to sell well, Yu and the team prob have a low number for it to viable as well

It doesnt need to sell gangbusters, it just need to sell enough to keep the involved companies on board.
This is not a 75 mil dollar production. The important part is that it is not allowed to fail completely as a product,
but it doesnt have to generate money like Call of Duty.

IMO with Shenmue 3 hitting such a high mark on Kickstarter Yu Suzuki and company probably already have a budget in mind to finish the series. I believe the sales figures are to see if there is any room to increase the budget without taking unnecessary risk. Examples Sega joining the team in some capacity (or loaning out licenses), Sony investing for exclusivity, XBox jumping on board for support, etc.

I have no proof of any of this thus is just an educated opinion. If someone knows more please enlighten me.

I think it's doing just fine. When you consider Shenmue I did a milliion lifetime on the original dreamcast which had a tiny by comparison user base, 19 years of time to pick up residual fans, and the development budget part funded by fans there's so many more reasons to be positive. Digital sales are on the up and publishers see way more long term sales in the digital age than all the second hand sales that dominated back then.

Yeah I think it's possible that Shenmue IV is likely. I think how it sells will help him gauge if there's ample demand for it to go to V or maybe VI, or if he should try and wrap it up by IV.

I just want it to sell well enough not just to get to IV but to let him get ambitious again and try to add a great new wrinkle to the gameplay that he was unable to do with 3. I could see it being an open world similar to that of Breath of the Wild or MGS5 as he was trying to raise enough money for 3 to have a map without "invisible walls".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back