Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
150k tops, and even then I think that's being generous. The sales are going to be front loaded, we all know that. Coupled with the lukewarm reviews.

150k would be a disaster for the future of the series, let’s hope you are wrong.

Although I 100% agree that a 70 meta score isn’t helping move anything.

Whoops sorry! I was asking about the comment you quoted from the blog about Shenmue 4 potentially!
Got it. It was Romain Mahut on Resetera responding to a comment on the possibility Shenmue 4 is already in development. He basically said no because the business deals still
need to be worked out. It’s in the OT thread.

150k would be a disaster for the future of the series, let’s hope you are wrong.

Although I 100% agree that a 70 meta score isn’t helping move anything.
believe me, I hope I'm wrong as well but all signs are pointing towards a rather dissapointing number. Japan was low, UK was low. Are we pinning all our hopes on US sales?

Is the series even popular in europe?

UK was low?

Where are the numbers for that?

EDIT* I know the rankings, but I'm talking numbers.

I told you guys it wasn’t performing too well on Amazon about a month ago... I wish we could bend reality or one of us had a bottomless income and could subsidize the sequel, but I think Yu Suzuki’s gonna need to pull a rabbit out of his hat. The reviews certainly didn’t help.

UK was low?

It debuted at 17. No idea what that equals, but pretty much every game ahead of it had already been out for a while. I don’t think you’re going to see real numbers unless it passes a certain threshold.

UK was low?

EDIT* I know the rankings, but I'm talking numbers.
I haven't got the link to hand, but yea it debuted rather low and was beaten by titles that have been charting for weeks. Yea digital sales may pick up the slack somewhat, been its not going to be a significant amount is it.. We just need to be realistic here

believe me, I hope I'm wrong as well but all signs are pointing towards a rather dissapointing number. Japan was low, UK was low. Are we pinning all our hopes on US sales?

Is the series even popular in europe?
Japan was always going to be weaker than the Western markets, that just reflects how Shenmue has always performed. It's a shame that Shenmue never caught on in its home country but to say these new numbers are bad or unexpected is a complete mischaracterisation of the situation.

As for the UK, it's already been discussed quite thorough over the past few pages. These are decent numbers, Shenmue 3 is keeping pace with a mainstay like Football manager and it doesn't even take into account digital sales.

Japan was always going to be weaker than the Western markets, that just reflects how Shenmue has always performed. It's a shame that Shenmue never caught on in its home country but to say these new numbers are bad or unexpected is a complete mischaracterisation of the situation.

As for the UK, it's already been discussed quite thorough over the past few pages. These are decent numbers, Shenmue 3 is keeping pace with a mainstay like Football manager and it doesn't even take into account digital sales.
yet in both regions the HD remasters sold more in their first week...

So you're saying that isn't a little bit concerning?

I'm not giving up hope. Deadly Premonition made next to no money...and it's still getting a sequel. There is always hope.

yet in both regions the HD remasters sold more in their first week...

So you're saying that isn't a little bit concerning?
The remasters were never offered to backers as a Kickstarter reward. Everyone who wanted a copy had to buy it through the traditional retail channels. That will inevitably have an impact on sales figures, the chart track organisations still don't acknowledge Kickstarter or crowdfunding a legitimate part of the games industry.

Frankly I've never been too concerned how Shenmue 3 does in week 1. Shenmue is not the sort of game you buy on impulse, it's a slow burn experience, that's as much true for the sales as the game itself. Steady sales over the few months and especially leading into Christmas will have more influence on the future of Shenmue 4 then all this jockeying for positions in a weekly chart for physical only copies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back