Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this day and age the majority of PC sales will be digital and a sizeable amount of the PS4 sales will be as well. Gleaning if the game hit sales expectations via ranking charts such as NPD probably won't be useful. There's also the issue w/the fact backers don't buy a copy, which will make comparing it to normal launches even harder. I suspect that until we hear from DS/YsNet, we won't really know for sure.

2 cents on expectations: I suspect if it manages 100k - 200k worldwide by the end of the Holiday season, they'll have sound evidence that the series still has legs (warrants a sequel). Anything below that would probably be a bad sign.

Looking at the figures we have, S3 seems to have sold at least 4 times as many copies as it had backers in its opening week. If this holds true in other territories, we’re looking at week 1 sales of 280,000+ without factoring in digital PS4 sales or Epic store sales. That seems pretty good to me. Assuming sales don’t completely drop off, it could hit 500,000 lifetime sales.

One thing Shenmue 3 has going for it that 1 and 2 didn’t is digital sales. They can always run a promotion and sell the game at a lower price point and boost the sales.

^ reading through this thread and I think a lot of people are overlooking this. It's a PC (majority DD) and PS4 (sizeable plurality DD) game. Sales ranking charts won't capture this and will be further skewed from the fact Kickstarter backers (a demographic which overlaps heavily w/ppl who buy games on launch) won't be buying a copy at launch. As I posted in the other thread, until you hear from YsNet or DS, we simply won't know.

Looking at the figures we have, S3 seems to have sold at least 4 times as many copies as it had backers in its opening week. If this holds true in other territories, we’re looking at week 1 sales of 280,000+ without factoring in digital PS4 sales or Epic store sales. That seems pretty good to me. Assuming sales don’t completely drop off, it could hit 500,000 lifetime sales.

what figures? I was going to estimate it might do 200k max in lifetime sales.

1) Shenmue III basically started with a base of 70,000+ copies sold (the Kickstarter). Most of the backers would not buy a second copy. Add 70,000 to any chart and you'd see the game would have an amazing debut everywhere.

This is a huge point that is basically being ignored by almost everyone, including me in my most doom-and-gloom moments. And it's actually 81,000 units when you factor in the slacker backer campaign.

I imagine there's a small bump in S1 and S2 sales as well. 1) Due to the black friday discount, and 2) "Oh shit, Shenmue 3 is out? I haven't played the first two yet!"

Also from what I remember console digital sales are approaching a 1:1 ratio to physical sales. I'm not sure if that's true for new releases, or if more folks buy digital when a game goes on sale or gets a price cut down the line.

Last edited:
Looking at Amazon.ca, it's currently 39th best seller in PS4 games and it looks like the Black Friday discount has kicked in. Seems to be out of stock on EBGames.ca.

You're completly crazy. How is it worth noting ? Did you even read the post I was quoting ?
That post was saying "those sales headline must be a bigger problem for Deep Silver".
To which I replied "Deep Silver made a chunk of their money back already".
Where did I say Deep Silver shouldnt have been the publisher ? I'm saying "Deep Silver already got a part of their money back" to someone saying "Deep Silver must feel in bad mood seeing those sales".

Yet you decided to go completly crazy and not even read the post or the context and go completly "omg deep silver/epic blablabla". It's not the first time, you have a dozen of loose screws. I'm blocking you.

Dude, you need to seriously calm down. You can't keep throwing hissy fits or temper tantrums everytime someone has a different opinion to you, or if they see things differently. The same applies to you and the entire Epic situation in general.

Just be cool man and compose yourself a little. if you're gonna blow a fuse and act juvenile every time things don't go your way, its gonna be very hard to have a regular conversation with you going forward.

Dude, you need to seriously calm down. You can't keep throwing hissy fits or temper tantrums everytime someone has a different opinion to you, or if they see things differently. The same applies to you and the entire Epic situation in general.

Just be cool man and compose yourself a little. if you're gonna blow a fuse and act juvenile every time things don't go your way, its gonna be very hard to have a regular conversation with you going forward.

Excuse me, have you read the conversation ? The guy is litterally going agressive on me and throwing a tantrum because I just said "Deep Silver got a chunk of their money back".
The person I quoted not only got agressive, they didn't even read the conversation and got mad. Someone has to calm down indeed. Not me though. And I'm definitely not the one you should've put in check. Read the conversation again, because it's not making any sense right now.

Here how things have been going:
One poster said: Those Japanese sales headlines must worry Deep Silver a lot more than YsNet
to which I replied: Well, Deep Silver made a chunk of their investment back with their deal with Epic, to which YsNet didn't see any return it seems (according to french journalist Romain Mahut from Gameblog).

What happened following that ? That poster got mad and started going full passive agressive: Yeah sure, I'm sure the game would've been great if Deep Silver didn't involved (at no moment I said so) and Epic saved the game (to which, according to Romain, didn't happen, but whatever).

Not only that poster was completly off topic but took on a conversation he wasn't involved with and totally turned it the other way around.

So yeah, I rest my case: Read the thread. Someone indeed has blown a fuse. It's the guy who got upset at something I never said.

And it's not the first time that poster go completly passive agressive on a conversation he wasn't involved with and completly misunderstood the whole conversation. It happened before with me and another poster.

Unbelievable really that after 18 years we have Shenmue 3 and now half of the people on here and the internet are ridiculously negative!

70,000 sales from kickstarter is a huge number, then 18k from Japan, means that with Europe and the US this game will be well over 250,000 sales easily! From a kickstarter game! If that doesn't at least impress you or give you hope then stop posting and trying to bring everyone down lol

Excuse me, have you read the conversation ? The guy is litterally going agressive on me and throwing a tantrum because I just said "Deep Silver got a chunk of their money back".
The person I quoted not only got agressive, they didn't even read the conversation and got mad. Someone has to calm down indeed. Not me though. And I'm definitely not the one you should've put in check. Read the conversation again, because it's not making any sense right now.

One poster said: Those Japanese sales headlines must worry Deep Silver a lot more than YsNet
to which I replied: Well, Deep Silver made a chunk of their investment back with their deal with Epic, to which YsNet didn't see any return it seems (according to french journalist Romain Mahut from Gameblog).

What happened following that ? That poster got mad and started going full passive agressive: Yeah sure, I'm sure the game would've been great if Deep Silver didn't involved (at no moment I said so) and Epic saved the game (to which, according to Romain, didn't happen, but whatever).

Not only that poster was completly off topic but took on a conversation he wasn't involved with and totally turned it the other way around.

So yeah, I rest my case: Read the thread. Someone indeed has blown a fuse. It's the guy who got upset at something I never said.

And it's not the first time that poster go completly passive agressive on a conversation he wasn't involved with and completly misunderstood the whole conversation. It happened before with me and another poster.
You've been asked politely to cool it by another mod. Step away for a bit. This isn't a ban or anything like it just to be clear.

However throwing the toys out the pram over a polite "tap on the shoulder" isn't on. If you've got issue with it (or want to elaborate etc) drop us a PM otherwise this conversation is done.

You've been asked politely to cool it by another mod. Step away for a bit. This isn't a ban or anything like it just to be clear.

However throwing the toys out the pram over a polite "tap on the shoulder" isn't on. If you've got issue with it (or want to elaborate etc) drop us a PM otherwise this conversation is done.

Who should I PM ?
Because clearly, that mod is wrong.

Wah wah wah. Stop whining and complaining. Im getting fed up of this highschool playground drama now.

I recommended YOU, Ghosttrick, go back and read your posts.

And the behavior i mentioned in my previous post is a constant pattern with you. While ive personally enjoyed our discussions in the past, you constantly having meltdowns, acting like a child and blowing a fuse is turning toxic now and i anit having that or allowing other members of the board to go through it.

Ill be straight with you. I haven't got time to babysit your behaviour on this board going forward. Its my understanding you've been warned about your behaviour by other mods in the past aswell. So if this pattern continues, another warning will be issued and so fourth.

I know you always "have to be right" or "have the last word" so have at it. I havent got time for this drama anymore. But i strongly recommend you self reflect on your behavior on these boards and in general. Its not cool man. Really not cool.

Im not making a detailed post like this again as its a waste of mine and everyone else's time, and it derails the thread into drama and chaos.

Follow up posts from me will probably be just joke posts from now on as i cant take your behaviour seriously anymore.

Fix up

Wah wah wah. Stop whining and complaining. Im getting fed up of this highschool playground drama now.

I recommended YOU, Ghosttrick, go back and read your posts.

And the behavior i mentioned in my previous post is a constant pattern with you. While ive personally enjoyed our discussions in the past, you constantly having meltdowns, acting like a child and blowing a fuse is turning toxic now and i anit having that or allowing other members of the board to go through it.

Ill be straight with you. I haven't got time to babysit your behaviour on this board going forward. Its my understanding you've been warned about your behaviour by other mods in the past aswell. So if this pattern continues, another warning will be issued and so fourth.

I know you always "have to be right" or "have the last word" so have at it. I havent got time for this drama anymore. But i strongly recommend you self reflect on your behavior on these boards and in general. Its not cool man. Really not cool.

Im not making a detailed post like this again as its a waste of mine and everyone else's time, and it derails the thread into drama and chaos.

Follow up posts from me will probably be just joke posts from now on as i cant take your behaviour seriously anymore.

Fix up

It's not about being right or not. It's about another user jumping at me completly off topic. You're taking on me for saying I wont engage with another poster that got agressive on me two times in a row and going completly off topic.

Now if you want to pursue, PMs are meant for this.

It's not about being right or not. It's about another user jumping at me completly off topic. You're taking on me for saying I wont engage with another poster that got agressive on me two times in a row and going completly off topic.

Now if you want to pursue, PMs are meant for this.

Cool ill speak to the other member. Any other discussion you have on this with me personally, im just gonna refer you back to my previous post.

Cheers

GhostTrick is a cool guy, no worry. I did not read all the bits but I think Spags was right when he said French trying to translate their word make them looking more aggressive than they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back