Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m a troll? What, because I’m not agreeing with you?? Wow, how mature. I suggest you go through my post history before labeling me.

250k for a Kickstarter game is a good enough milestone and more than we could of possibly of hoped for. The fact there’s been radio silence isn’t really a good look though is it? But it’s ok, I don’t expect a mature, well thought out discussion from someone who’s so eager to throw insults out without reason. But you keep doing you yea

What radio silence? Because after one month and 1/2 there's no official sales number from Yu Suzuki? I don't remember many developers doing that :) it's totally normal.

I’m a troll? What, because I’m not agreeing with you?? Wow, how mature. I suggest you go through my post history before labeling me.

250k for a Kickstarter game is a good enough milestone and more than we could of possibly of hoped for. The fact there’s been radio silence isn’t really a good look though is it? But it’s ok, I don’t expect a mature, well thought out discussion from someone who’s so eager to throw insults out without reason. But you keep doing you yea
You started with the dilusional one. Also I didn't know that you were a BM knowing the sales target of a game just because it was KS project. I am so sorry for my ignorance and not acknowledging as the supreme knowledge of video games market based on something so reliable as YOUR OWN OPINION

What radio silence? Because after one month and 1/2 there's no official sales number from Yu Suzuki? I don't remember many developers doing that :) it's totally normal.
I remember Cedric tweeting only a matter of weeks after release that they would be talking about sales soon. That exact tweet was posted on this forum. But yet here we are.

look, I want s3 to be as successful as possible.. but the reality isn’t quite as promising is it? Can any of us post solid numbers? It charted lower than the remasters in both Europe and Japan.. but no apparently it’s doing just fine. Ok!

You started with the dilusional one. Also I didn't know that you were a BM knowing the sales target of a game just because it was KS project. I am so sorry for my ignorance and not acknowledging as the supreme knowledge of video games market based on something so reliable as YOUR OWN OPINION
But yet your opinion is valid?

But yet your opinion is valid?
I am explaining that unless a game surpass a milestone stablished by the publisher is not normal to release numbers, less when is not something starting around the milliom units. You can go yourself and start searching for news about it. But nope, it is better to nitpick whatever you want, also started insulting people. You think your number is enough for an annoucement, it is a pitty your are not Deep Silver, not Shibuya, not YS Net, so you are not the one stablishing numbers.

9 months between launch and annoucement

It took 4 months to Yatch Club to announce that Shovel Knight surpassed 300k, one year for 700k

10 months for Hollow Knight for the 500k milestone

I could go forever

We had "only" 20K physical copies of Shenmue 3 sold in Japan the first two weeks and it was less than Shenmue I and II HD and people talking about 50 100K total Shenmue I and II HD sells :-(
We can conclude around a minimum of 33/40K sells only in Japan on the first two weeks so if you want to talk about a number at least be a bit believable if you wanna play the negative superior objective mister stat zzzzzz

Do we know how many collector's edition were printed? As far as I know:

Limited Run: 5,000 copies, sold out
Pix 'n Love: 2,500 copies, sold out
Amazon COM/FR/IT/DE/ES/JP: ? copies, sold out
GameStop COM/FR/IT/DE/ES: ? copies, sold out

Did Best Buy have collector's edition as well?

Last edited:
I think there were many more because other web shops in the UK, Germany and Austria for example
sold the normal EU CE too. The austrian webshop GamesOnly alone had over 300 CE copies in stock on release day.
They made a lot of them for EU.

I think there were many more because other web shops in the UK, Germany and Austria for example
sold the normal EU CE too. The austrian webshop GamesOnly alone had over 300 CE copies in stock on release day.
Thanks. I know we're just probably taking wild guesses but if we could know more or less the quantity of collector's editions that were sold, we may use it to make an estimate of total sales.

I contacted some Italian independent shops and a big supermarket chain and they told me that in Italy the CEs were exclusively for GameStop and Amazon (on Italian Amazon they went sold out in two hours).
I think this is an important piece of info because the producer earns a lot with the CEs. They generate a much higher income per single piece.

Growth for the 5th:
PSN Profiles: 1361->1376 (+1.1%).
True Trophies: 1203->1215 (+1%).
PSN Trophy Leaders: 2501->2521 (+0.8%)
Exophase: 1359->1371 (+0.9%).

Growth for the 6th:
PSN Profiles: 1376->1384 (+0.6%).
True Trophies: 1215->1218 (+0.2%).
PSN Trophy Leaders: 2521->2542 (+0.8%)
Exophase: 1371->1380 (+0.7%).

Growth for the 7th:
PSN Profiles: 1384->1399 (+1.1%).
True Trophies: 1218->1221 (+0.2%).
PSN Trophy Leaders: 2542->2561 (+0.7%)
Exophase: 1380->1390 (+0.7%).

Last edited:
When making guesses about sales numbers it should be remembered that Shenmue 3 has Chinese language versions as well, and we have no idea how well it's selling on that potentially huge market.

But, if you google Shenmue in English, you get 6 million results, while googling Shenmue in Chinese (莎木) brings 4 million results. It doesn't say anything definitive about sales, but there's clearly a Chinese language fanbase out there and you can find PS4 copies being sold at Chinese online stores.

Unfortunately my Chinese language ability is only at a beginner level, so I can only manage a cursory look into the Chinese internet.

When making guesses about sales numbers it should be remembered that Shenmue 3 has Chinese language versions as well, and we have no idea how well it's selling on that potentially huge market.

But, if you google Shenmue in English, you get 6 million results, while googling Shenmue in Chinese (莎木) brings 4 million results. It doesn't say anything definitive about sales, but there's clearly a Chinese language fanbase out there and you can find PS4 copies being sold at Chinese online stores.

Unfortunately my Chinese language ability is only at a beginner level, so I can only manage a cursory look into the Chinese internet.
Unfortunately the Chinese market is the one we are certain of. As the game still isn’t officially on sale in China, we’re looking at a big fat 0. Some PS4 copies might have been imported from Hong Kong, but I can’t imagine it’s a substantial amount. The digital version has been pirated quite a lot though by the looks of things.

Growth for the 9th (2 days):
PSN Profiles: 1399->1430 (+2.2%).
True Trophies: 1221->1238 (+1.4%).
PSN Trophy Leaders: 2561->2580 (+0.7%)
Exophase: 1390->1408 (+1.3%).

1 month growth (12/10 - 01/09)
PSN Profiles: 851->1430 (+68%).
True Trophies: 956->1238 (+29%).
PSN Trophy Leaders: 1900->2580 (+36%).

Growth for the 10th;
PSN Profiles: 1430->1452 (+1.5%).
True Trophies: 1238->1240 (+0.2%).
PSN Trophy Leaders: 2580->2595 (+0.6%)
Exophase: 1408->1411 (+0.2%).

Growth for the 12th (2 days):
PSN Profiles: 1452->1481 (+2%).
True Trophies: 1240->1247 (+0.6%).
PSN Trophy Leaders: 2595->2630 (+1.3%)
Exophase: 1411->1420 (+0.6%).

Growth for the 13th:
PSN Profiles: 1481->1501 (+1.4%).
True Trophies: 1247->1256 (+0.7%).
PSN Trophy Leaders: 2630->2645 (+0.6%)
Exophase: 1420->1430 (+0.7%).

Growth for the 14th:
PSN Profiles: 1501->1515 (+0.9%).
True Trophies: 1256->1260 (+0.3%).
PSN Trophy Leaders: 2645->2676 (+1.2%)
Exophase: 1430->1434 (+0.3%).

Growth for the 15th:
PSN Profiles: 1515->1533 (+1.2%).
True Trophies: 1260->1267 (+0.6%).
PSN Trophy Leaders: 2676->2676 (=)
Exophase: 1434->1443 (+0.6%).

Last edited:
I guess most of you know already about this recent interview:

Here Cédric states that they're "very happy [about the release of Shenmue III]". No mention about sales, but I don't think he'd have said that if the game had been a flop :)

EDIT. They actually touch a lot of topics, about different Shibuya Productions projects, but I think some parts about Shenmue are interesting. I've translated them, here:

The Share Players - Good morning, how are you? I
Cédric Biscay - Super! Extremely well!
TSP - I imagine you're very busy with the post-release of Shenmue III.
CB - Yes, that's an important release and then we've also all other stuff.
TSP - Ah, yes, lots of things...
CB - Yes, there was the release of Shenmue III. We're very happy, everything's going well, we're already working on the following things.
[...]
TSP - Are you happy about the release of Shenmue III?
CB - I'm extremely happy in general, since it was positively received by the press, the players are glad... Of course, the players who don't know much about it, who're used to play Fortnight or Red Dead... well, they're used to productions of 80 million euros or more, so... but The Guardian had a positive review, great international medias like this game... I think it's not bad and we had a great success with this Shenmue.
[...]
CB - Both Yu Suzuki and I want to make the sequel, but first Shenmue III has to sell well. We've some first datas but people should know that pulling a rabbit out of a hat like this is not simple. We're not backed by big companies, we cannot afford to spend millions in marketing and we had to take huge risks to make Shenmue III. I think it's a pity that some reviewers don't take this into account.
TSP - If Shenmue IV or V were not possible, do you think you could continue the story with other medias?
CB - I think everthing is possible, but I'm the first to say that Shenmue should continue as a videogame. I'll say something more, I'm an old school gamer. I want the game with the box and so on... the digital version is not for me... of course I respect all players who prefer the digital versions, it's just not my taste.

He goes on to say he played Shenmue I in Japanese at first, understanding nothing but spending lots of hours in the game. Then after the ending of Shenmue II he always hoped to be able to do something for the saga. Because of his job he met Yu Suzuki but for many years they could do nothing about Shenmue, since SEGA didn't give them the rights. SEGA didn't want to hear anything about this license anymore. He adds that finally Shibuya Productions managed to convince them. They used Kickstarter simply because they had not enough money to make the game, zero support. Other companies joined the project "much later", when they were convinced by the successful Kickstarter that the fanbase was still there.
He says he knows that Shenmue will never be mainstream, but he's one of those who love this kind of games, especially "after a stressful day working for Death Stranding" (he says he helped Kojima who absolutely wanted Léa Seydoux, and Shibuya Productions helped to make it happen as a mediator and for the motion capture part).
His target were Shenmue fans and more casual players who want to experience game with such poetry and atmosphere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back