Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, i was checking that silly gamstat page. If I'm reading the graphs correctly... It shows that sales in the US were pretty stronger than in Japan. Now.... If Japan was 21k and this is a fact, and in the US it sold (according to gamstat) a fair share more... Well, we're already above 50k

Most of this I agree with. Except for the Sony e3 thing. I dont believe the KS would have made as much or had as much momentum if it werent for on Sony's E3 stage.

Launch momentum maybe. I could also argue that all those Sony talk costed them momentum too. And I still stand by the fact that having Shenmue 3 at E3 stage wasnt a given. It was a big enough name back then for any publisher to feature it. I'm not saying it wasn't a good thing to have Shenmue 3 at Sony's press conf. I'm saying that trading an exclusivity for ONLY that is rather a bad deal.

For PS4 games, do stats websites just keep track of how many PSN profiles have played the game? And is this what DS is looking at rather than the copies sold?

IF DS only really cares about how many copies are sold, should we encourage people who have bought multiple copies of the game to log in under different accounts, so the numbers of sales are reflected accurately?

For PS4 games, do stats websites just keep track of how many PSN profiles have played the game? And is this what DS is looking at rather than the copies sold?

IF DS only really cares about how many copies are sold, should we encourage people who have bought multiple copies of the game to log in under different accounts, so the numbers of sales are reflected accurately?
That it correct. Well, it goes off how many accounts have Trophy for the game (which is even worse). It's just a really shit way of doing things lol If someone has played it, but doesn't have a trophy unlocked yet, it doesn't count. It doesn't track multiple copies of the game, doesn't account for those who haven't played it yet, doesn't count those who have their Playstation offline. The list goes on lol.

Deep Silver will have an official number as they can track sales from retailers etc, and will have the inside analytics from PSN, EGS etc. This report that has done used Gamstats as it's source which is just laughable. I can't believe that anyone would actually use it to get an idea on how their game is selling. Take me for example. I have 8 copies of the game. 7 of those are PS4 copies. PC is my main platform, so I've put 100+ hours in to the PC version. If the PS4 version didn't come early, I wouldn't have touched it but it came a couple of days early, so I played it for 12 hours before the PC version unlocked. My PS4 is 99% of the time, offline. As I have some funky PS Vita's on CFW and I don't want it to cause an issue for my PS4. 7 Copies, but to Gamstat, it's just 1 (or 0 if I hadn't synced my trophies once on PSN). Sites a fucking joke for tracking, and to use it as your main source in a financial report is even more laughable.

There are people on here, RE, Reddit, who think that Gamstat is a reliable way of tracking sales and I'll say it straight, they are idiots ;).

If you want to do more reading into how it "works" then here's the link:-

The site is shit, looks like shit, calculates it's stats like shit, and people still think that it's reliable... One read of the FAQ and you'll see how shit it really is lol.

Last edited:
As a Shenmue fan this situation obviously hurts, but honestly the game didnt deliver on even the most basic promises made in the KS campaign, i cant have much sympathy for who produced it.

Is it though? What’s the main aim?

I always thought shenmue was a story about Ryo's self growth as he tries to overcome hatred and his inner demons. A spiritual journey that will eventually lead to him to become a marital artist that surpasses his father. A story of friendship and life values that shows a naive boy turning into a mature man.

Thats how i view it anyway. The revenge part is just a small segment of the overall tale.

If anyone expected the above given the circumstances, then that’s on them for having unrealistic expectations.
If it had proper funding tho...yea, risk taking is a foreign concept nowadays so those with the means in the gaming industry didn't step up so we had a gimped S3. Hope it gets a proper remake/remastered with flesh out content when it's viable and cheaper from Sega.

I always thought shenmue was a story about Ryo's self growth as he tries to overcome hatred and his inner demons. A spiritual journey that will eventually lead to him to become a marital artist that surpasses his father. A story of friendship and life values that shows a naive boy turning into a mature man.

Thats how i view it anyway. The revenge part is just a small segment of the overall tale.

Yup, I share the same view. Hence why I dont care if the plot isnt good overall but why I still value a lot the characters met on the way and their developpement.

No matter how much we ask Cedric Biscay about Shenmue 3 numbers he's not budging. I'm starting to think that the sales aren't to good. I'm pretty sure if things were trending positively we would've heard something by now.

Hard to believe we’re still discussing Gamestat, but okay.

If the flaws in their methodology weren’t blatantly obvious from their own explanation, let’s actually look at the data they have.

Here we can see that on December 1st, they had supposedly tracked 38,300 players and here we can see that 22% of the players they’ve tracked are from Japan. We know that there had been 20,000 physical sales in Japan by this time and that there were 4,000 Kickstarter backers. Let’s assume there wasn’t a single digital sale.

22% of 38,300 is 8,426, meaning that despite there being around 24,000 copies of the game in circulation, they had only tracked around 1/3 of the players. This tells us that their figure is out by a ridiculous margin, most likely down to an incredibly poor sample group.

If we account for this margin when looking at their current estimate (60,000) we end up with around 180,000 players which is a lot more realistic.

But wait. There’s more. Due to a programming error, Shenmue 3 is only linked to a player’s profile after they’ve unlocked their first trophy. This is not the case for other games they track as we can see here with Shenmue and Shenmue II.

With both games, only around 80% of tracked players actually unlocked a trophy, so if we assume Shenmue III follows the same trend, it would suggest that around 20% of players haven’t been picked up by Game Stat when they usually would have been.

If we factor in this programming error, 180,000 becomes 225,000. That’s not including special editions, digital sales and duplicate copies.

No matter how much we ask Cedric Biscay about Shenmue 3 numbers he's not budging. I'm starting to think that the sales aren't to good. I'm pretty sure if things were trending positively we would've heard something by now.

Asking Cedric about sales is pointless and irrealistic. Even if he had sales numbers, why do Dojo think that he would breach any NDA and talk on behalf of Deep Silver which is the publisher ?

Asking Cedric about sales is pointless and irrealistic. Even if he had sales numbers, why do Dojo think that he would breach any NDA and talk on behalf of Deep Silver which is the publisher ?

Yep. There’s no way Cedrick is going to come out on Twitter and announce any kind of sales figures.

He has alluded to being happy with how it’s gone, but ultimately it means nothing.

"thanks for digging it up, asshole " - cedric :ROFLMAO:

Ahhh, mjq....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back