Shenmue 3: side quests

Ok I found her
It’s triggered after the entry in the notebook that says : Gather info on Senary Road

Attachments

• 8B9D5A08-B1C0-4328-B897-F5E6B791BE64.jpeg
    8B9D5A08-B1C0-4328-B897-F5E6B791BE64.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 18
Can anyone advise me on whether one of my side quests is glitched?

I can't get The Biggest Catch to activate? When I fish it never shows the amount your rival has got at the top. I've also now activated the Catfish Rally and I'm wondering if I've messed up getting the Biggest Catch side quest now ... anyone have the same thing happen?

Also - do you need to complete all side quests in one playthrough for the trophy or can you do new game+ to tidy up?

Last edited:
Ok I found her
It’s triggered after the entry in the notebook that says : Gather info on Senary Road

Thats odd because as I mentioned, I already passed the cutscene of Lin striking Ryo with the broom, and my notebook entry currently stops at: "Liu Jiao Shrine near the river was attacked by the Red Snakes. > Gather info on Senary Road.

And it is the very next morning, 8:50 AM, and she is there standing at the pier just like in your picture, only I cannot interact with her.

This is my 2nd run. I interacted with her in the first run, but I failed the mission because I didn't find the cheapest items. But I interacted with her at night; not that I think that should matter though since your screenshot is in the daytime anyway.
I wonder if this is a glitch?

How can you actually fail the sidequest with old Mr. Su? I've been trying to get it to fail but even after a dozend times he still said the same thing and I was able to keep on pressing the sidequest action button.

do you need to complete all side quests in one playthrough for the trophy or can you do new game+ to tidy up?

I dont think you do. That would kinda defeat the whole purpose of new game plus
I messed up on Future Dream sidequest in Bailu on 2nd run though. I mean I completed it on the first run, but I never actually fished in the area the little kid unlocked for me; so I missed that for the 'fish in all areas in Bailu' trophy....damn it.

How can you actually fail the sidequest with old Mr. Su? I've been trying to get it to fail but even after a dozend times he still said the same thing and I was able to keep on pressing the sidequest action button.

If you approach him twice in the first day he gets pissed off. You have to wait one additional day to approach him the 2nd time.
I was told it was: day 1, day 2, and 2 approaches on day 3.
But to play it safe, I did the whole thing in 4 days, separating all 4 approaches on separate days.

Anyone know which quest I'm missing? I'm in Niaowu and I have 3 blank pages in between Catch the Skipper! and Ren to the Rescue. Looking everywhere and I can't find this quest.

Last edited:
Anyone know which quest I'm missing? I'm in Niaowu and I have 3 blank pages in between Catch the Skipper! and Ren to the Rescue. Looking everywhere and I can't find this quest.

Copy and pasted this from someone else's post:

Catch the Skipper
Find the deadbeat hotel payer

Haircut Quest
The barber on the promenade needs a volunteer for a haircut

Mushroom Quest
Ren needs a mushroom

Finding stolen book
Shrine Maiden gives this quest to find a stolen book

Niaowu Trek
The tour guide at the harbor entrance makes you find flags around the city

Good fortune quest
The fortune teller at the bottom of the promenade tells you to go to New Paadise where you get in to a fight with two random dudes for thinking Shenhua is your girlfriend and they're jealous

More herb hunting
The doctor with the bloody coat asks you to find herbs

Shopping quest
A girl on the dock where you first got off will ask you to buy 4 items for the cheapest price possible

Copy and pasted this from someone else's post:

Catch the Skipper
Find the deadbeat hotel payer

Haircut Quest
The barber on the promenade needs a volunteer for a haircut

Mushroom Quest
Ren needs a mushroom

Finding stolen book
Shrine Maiden gives this quest to find a stolen book

Niaowu Trek
The tour guide at the harbor entrance makes you find flags around the city

Good fortune quest
The fortune teller at the bottom of the promenade tells you to go to New Paadise where you get in to a fight with two random dudes for thinking Shenhua is your girlfriend and they're jealous

More herb hunting
The doctor with the bloody coat asks you to find herbs

Shopping quest
A girl on the dock where you first got off will ask you to buy 4 items for the cheapest price possible
I checked all those quests on the first page and I am not yet at the right place in the main story to do most of them. Thanks for linking this though, I've only done catch the skipper and mushroom quest on this list, but it don't mention the fishing festival quest which is straight after the Ren quest on my journal. One quest I don't know when it starts is the Niaowu Trek maybe thats the one I'm missing.

Can anyone advise me on whether one of my side quests is glitched?

I can't get The Biggest Catch to activate? When I fish it never shows the amount your rival has got at the top. I've also now activated the Catfish Rally and I'm wondering if I've messed up getting the Biggest Catch side quest now ... anyone have the same thing happen?
Did you start the quest from the fisher on vendor avenue?

Also - do you need to complete all side quests in one playthrough for the trophy or can you do new game+ to tidy up?
All 25 quests need to be done in a single playthrough. NG+ doesn't take over the progress for this one.

You didn't miss any. Thats normal.
I suppose there is a longer and different outcome for the Catch a Skipper! quest, if you fail to find/defeat him and that's why there are more pages.

Yeah, it's a long spread rumor, I have no idea. Talked to him at least twice a day as well and couldn't fail it. I didn't try talking to him 10 times a day, though :p

You didn't miss any. Thats normal.
I suppose there is a longer and different outcome for the Catch a Skipper! quest, if you fail to find/defeat him and that's why there are more pages.

Thanks a lot man! Saved me so much time, you legend.

Sorry to be a pain but where and when does the catch the skipper quest unlock?

I had it unlock when looking for the Bustling Diner

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a long spread rumor, I have no idea. Talked to him at least twice a day as well and couldn't fail it. I didn't try talking to him 10 times a day, though :p

Well I failed it by doing that so apparently something happened...

Thats odd because as I mentioned, I already passed the cutscene of Lin striking Ryo with the broom, and my notebook entry currently stops at: "Liu Jiao Shrine near the river was attacked by the Red Snakes. > Gather info on Senary Road.

And it is the very next morning, 8:50 AM, and she is there standing at the pier just like in your picture, only I cannot interact with her.

This is my 2nd run. I interacted with her in the first run, but I failed the mission because I didn't find the cheapest items. But I interacted with her at night; not that I think that should matter though since your screenshot is in the daytime anyway.
I wonder if this is a glitch?
I didn’t get as far as the Shrine maiden when I did it.

What’s the reward for catch the skipper. ?
When and how is it triggered. ?
It’s not appeared for me but maybe i missed it.

I checked all those quests on the first page and I am not yet at the right place in the main story to do most of them. Thanks for linking this though, I've only done catch the skipper and mushroom quest on this list, but it don't mention the fishing festival quest which is straight after the Ren quest on my journal. One quest I don't know when it starts is the Niaowu Trek maybe thats the one I'm missing.
Niaowu tourist flag side quest starts near when you get the 5000 book. I think it’s just after that.

Back