Shenmue 3: side quests

I can't remember that either. Are you on New Game+ danielmann? And what difficulty?

I’m on hard difficulty and still on my first run. I haven’t left Bailu yet.

Maybe it changes randomly as to what she offers? I've been fishing for a number of days so I wonder if the game keeps track of what you're doing in some way and offers rewards based on that? (That would be weird if so)

But she definitely offered me the choice of something from in store or a fishing spot. Because she went on to tell me she controls the fishing licenses in Bailu when I asked her for the Fishing Spot.

I think from memory I’ve gotten two fishing spots from side quests,

One from the little boy who wanted the soccer ball (the little pond near the cow stables)

and one from the old lady’s general store in Panda Market for doing her Mushroom request. (the back wharf of Sunmeadow Grove)

Last edited:
Somebody mentioned a quest from the pawn shop guy?

yeah, that was me. After beating the main boss. I went to the Pawn Shop in Panda Market and he had a side quest ready to go. Judging by dialog that was spoken to me by one of the participants in the quest. I’m thinking it might unlock after beating the main boss of Bailu. Or the game just changes dialog on the fly. But yeah, definitely Panda Market Pawn Shop vendor after beating main boss of Bailu has a side quest.

Last edited:
Here's a list of the side quests I've done so far in Bailu (I'm still on my 1st playthrough on Hard Difficulty)

-- Ask Wei out on a Date for that one guy in Joy Park
-- Listen to the Old Man's Tall Tales.
-- Win a Soccer Ball from Pail Toss for the Little Kid in Panda Market.
-- Help the kids in Sunmeadow Grove with their Ghost Problem.
-- Went Herb collecting for Elder Yeh.
-- Went Mushroom collecting for the old Lady running the general store at Panda Market.
-- Panda Market Pawn Shop Request after beating the main boss of Bailu.
-- Fishing Tournament Request (I failed this as I failed to catch a bigger catch than that one fishing obsessed guy)
-- Get the Four Fishing Stamps.

I think from memory that's everything I've done so far in Bailu on my first playthrough. I'm still in Bailu so i'll let you know if I stumble on anything else before advancing. (I doubt it at this point)

I missed out on that one kids Lure request on the 2nd day as I didn't notice side quests were a thing that soon in the game.

I'm curious to see the full list of how many there are in Bailu alone though whenever someone gets them all.

yeah, that was me. After beating the main boss. I went to the Pawn Shop in Panda Market and he had a side quest ready to go. Judging by dialog that was spoken to me by one of the participants. I’m thinking it might unlock after beating the main boss of Bailu. Or the game just changes dialog on the fly. But yeah, definitely Pawn Shop guy after beating main boss of Bailu has a side quest.
Great thanks!
Here's a list of the side quests I've done so far in Bailu (I'm still on my 1st playthrough on Hard Difficulty)

-- Ask Wei out on a Date for that one guy in Joy Park
-- Listen to the Old Man's Tall Tales.
-- Win a Soccer Ball from Pail Toss for the Little Kid in Panda Market.
-- Help the kids in Sunmeadow Grove with their Ghost Problem.
-- Went Herb collecting for Elder Yeh.
-- Went Mushroom collecting for the old Lady running the general store at Panda Market.
-- Panda Market Pawn Shop Request after beating the main boss of Bailu.
-- Fishing Tournament Request (I failed this as I failed to catch a bigger catch than that one fishing obsessed guy)
-- Get the Four Fishing Stamps.

I think from memory that's everything I've done so far in Bailu on my first playthrough. I'm still in Bailu so i'll let you know if I stumble on anything else before advancing. (I doubt it at this point)

I missed out on that one kids Lure request on the 2nd day as I didn't notice side quests were a thing that soon in the game.

I'm curious to see the full list of how many there are in Bailu alone though whenever someone gets them all.
You know you can keep trying the fishing comp each day? Took me til my 4th day

Great thanks!

You know you can keep trying the fishing comp each day? Took me til my 4th day

No....I didn't realize that. I have no plans on leaving Bailu yet so I'll try the fishing guy again this afternoon when I get home. But I've been fishing quite a bit and I haven't seen that tournament offered to me again. Right now I'm on the hunt for herbs and capsule collections and just trying to make some money in general before heading onwards to Chobu.

Will scour around some more this afternoon when I get back to it.

No....I didn't realize that. I have no plans on leaving Bailu yet so I'll try the fishing guy again this afternoon when I get home. But I've been fishing quite a bit and I haven't seen that tournament offered to me again. Right now I'm on the hunt for herbs and capsule collections and just trying to make some money in general before heading onwards to Chobu.

Will scour around some more this afternoon when I get back to it.
Hmm. I went there as soon as the game allowed so maybe its only active up to a certain point. I've only just found the old guy in the temple you have to bribe with buns and wine and I did the fishing comp a good while back. Haven't had the stamp quest activate yet - is that from the fishing guy too?

Hmm. I went there as soon as the game allowed so maybe its only active up to a certain point. I've only just found the old guy in the temple you have to bribe with buns and wine and I did the fishing comp a good while back. Haven't had the stamp quest activate yet - is that from the fishing guy too?

Yeap, the tackle store offers you the Stamp Quest.

What's the benefit to the secret fishing spots? Is it completing the quests the only way to unlock the ability to fish at those spots and are the fish just consistently bigger?

Have compiled everything mentioned so far and it looks like there may be ten quests for each area. It seems that there are certain time frames during which the quests must be completed. Hopefully someone who has had the trophy pop can confirm that these are the only available quests. If there’s anything missing, let me know.

There's a little cutscene if you go up the arcade in Niaowu close to the hotel and go to the other building.
You can see the hotel gal and delin's brother training and ryo acts kinda weird.

I have a strong feeling there are easter egg quests in both locations that are hard to find and need to be triggered by a certain order of actions a la Fangmei's birthday in S2.
It sounds like we’ve found everything in Bailu, but Niaowu still has five quests that haven’t been found, so it’s certainly possible they require a complex series of events to trigger.

Hey a potential interesting Sidequest tid bit. I found a fan on another forum noted these details.

"the blind female village elder woman, later on asks you to collect 5 herbs for her (one of which only appears after you've collected the sidequest - already collected herbs count) edit: This gives you an amber amulet - that she tells you later on can gift Shenhua, OR sell. I've kept it in inventory so far.

With Shenhua you have a conversation (evening conversations) where she tells you that they usually dont gift items on Birthdays in the village, but that in Japan they do, and you also have an conversation with here, that her father made here an amber amulet once, and it is her most precious belonging. Also you get to know - that her birthdays is on the 9th of september. (Which is still half a year away.)

So I wonder.... If you have amulet, if game gets played until her birthday comes along...."

If someone can get to the req date with all flags checked it may just triggered a "Shenhua's Birthday" sidequest/event. I'm hoping someone can confirm. :eek:

On the promenade in the second area. Is this needed for A quest?
Thanks, I'm Not sure, I'm still in Bailu but it appears as a set in my inventory and I've found all the other sets so assumed they would also be in Bailu??

Do more sets get added to inventory when you leave Bailu and could you confirm how many/what they are?

Thanks, I'm Not sure, I'm still in Bailu but it appears as a set in my inventory and I've found all the other sets so assumed they would also be in Bailu??

Do more sets get added to inventory when you leave Bailu and could you confirm how many/what they are?
Will try and remember to count, but there are lots more. I didn’t find the shoe set in Bailu, but I didn’t look too hard. I’ve found a couple of the Bailu sets in the second area of the game (Shenmue 1 set and the firefighter set) so am guessing that all of the sets from Bailu are also available later in the game.

Will try and remember to count, but there are lots more. I didn’t find the shoe set in Bailu, but I didn’t look too hard. I’ve found a couple of the Bailu sets in the second area of the game (Shenmue 1 set and the firefighter set) so am guessing that all of the sets from Bailu are also available later in the game.
good to know - thanks!

Back