Shenmue 3: side quests

Question for those of you who have left Bailu. Do you get a chance to mop up the area before you leave? Do you get warned and if not at which point should I not trigger the story? I'd like to try and do as much as possible in one playthrough.ive been playing pretty much solidly since yesterday morning and am just enjoying trying to win the fishing comp and have mastered everything and got all move scrolls from pawn shop for capsule toys, prizes and herbs and mastered those. I don't want to leave the area to find I've missed something after spending sp much time there! Would like to platinum in one playthriugh of possible! Also, I've mastered horse stance and one inch punch, are there any other stamina building techniques?

Platinum seems not possible in one playthrough. At least at the moment. If you look at PS trophies you will notice that theres plenty trophies that nobody got yet, such as all fishing locations, all side quests and all herbs. They are either bugged, or we miss something nobody has found yet.

You do get warned before you leave, so you can keep a save before the point of no return.

And theres also New Game+ that lets you keep most of your progress from previous playthrough, so i wouldn't worry too much about it.

Iā€™m struggling to catch the red catfish šŸ˜•
It was very rare for me as well, but i caught 2 between the 2 rocks at the right side (closer to the left rock). But took many tries.

Niaowu Quests I remember off the top of my head:

I might be missing some but that's what springs to mind at the moment outside of the ones mentioned in the thread.
Question for those of you who have left Bailu. Do you get a chance to mop up the area before you leave? Do you get warned and if not at which point should I not trigger the story? I'd like to try and do as much as possible in one playthrough.ive been playing pretty much solidly since yesterday morning and am just enjoying trying to win the fishing comp and have mastered everything and got all move scrolls from pawn shop for capsule toys, prizes and herbs and mastered those. I don't want to leave the area to find I've missed something after spending sp much time there! Would like to platinum in one playthriugh of possible! Also, I've mastered horse stance and one inch punch, are there any other stamina building techniques?
No. You get a warning, but certain quests are only available in certain time frames. It looks like you need to search everywhere for quests each time you progress the story. Going to be a real ball ache to do everything without a comprehensive guide / roadmap.

For Bailu theres 8 known quests so far that can be done at this times (some unlock earlier, but this are good times when you can do em):

When you need to gather 2000 yuan for booze:
- Capsule Toy quest
- Gambling Man: Date quest
- Fishing Hut: Stamp quest
- Elder Yeh: Herb quest
- Story Teller: Listen quest

After beating the Thugs and the Boss
- Panda Store: Mushroom quest
- Panda Market Kid: Pail Toss
- Sunflower Meadow: Ghost hunt quest

These 8 quests will not give the trophy, so something might be missing.
I'm still in Bailu, 20 hours in, trying to talk to everyone at every time, but thats all i found.

The fact that nobody got the trophy so far lets me belive that it's either bugged or there is stuff missing.
Also whats with the shoes toy-capsule set? Don't think anyone found that yet. Or whats with the "all highscores at minigames"? I got highscores on everything and still no trophy, as nobody else has. I also went to all herb locations with the herb map and didn't got that trophy either.

It's almost as if an entire area is missing and thuse the trophies not possible.

[EDIT]
added pail toss

Last edited:
Platinum seems not possible in one playthrough. At least at the moment. If you look at PS trophies you will notice that theres plenty trophies that nobody got yet, such as all fishing locations, all side quests and all herbs. They are either bugged, or we miss something nobody has found yet.

You do get warned before you leave, so you can keep a save before the point of no return.

And theres also New Game+ that lets you keep most of your progress from previous playthrough, so i wouldn't worry too much about it.

It was very rare for me as well, but i caught 2 between the 2 rocks at the right side (closer to the left rock). But took many tries.

There are locked fishing locations that will unlock with sidequests. Really does make me wonder just how many sidequests are in Bailu.

This is gonna be fun trying to find everything :)

For locked fishing locations... There is a trophy for catching 1000 fishes. Certainly doable, but nobody did that yet on PS4, so that might be a trigger.

Has anyone had any luck getting the white fishing lure for the kid in Bailu? I've popped in hundreds of Yuan to the capsule toy machine with no luck.

I kept save scumming until I got it. Worked after like 10 minutes. But then I tried the same thing to sell the set and I haven't gotten it since lol.

I got the other Sunmeadow Grove fishing spot unlocked this afternoon by doing the Mushroom Quest for the old lady in the Panda Market general store. She gave me the the option of something from the store or a Fishing Spot. I chose Fishing Spot and she gave me access to the other Sunmeadow Grove fishing spot. (turns out she controls fishing licences)

I also got a fishing spot from the Soccer Ball quest. The little pond near the Cow Stable.

For locked fishing locations... There is a trophy for catching 1000 fishes. Certainly doable, but nobody did that yet on PS4, so that might be a trigger.

To be fair, that's gonna be a real grind considering you can only fish for 3 to 4 hours a day (in game time). It's gonna take a while for anyone to unlock that I think...unless they're just grinding it.

Uff so choices you make can lock you out of the trophies. Thats a bummer.

Yeah, you can straight up fail side quests in this game. For instance, if you continuously bug the old guy to tell his tall tales when he doesn't want to, the game will fail you....you can only ask him about his tales once a day.

Like I said, gonna be an interesting trophy hunt for trophy hunters...especially with that side quest trophy. Won't be so bad once we get a full list of them and the options involved. But yeah, I've failed one or two side quests already in Bailu (failed the Fishing Competition side quest)

I also missed out on the Little Boy and his White Lure side quest...because I didn't realize the game introduced SIde Quests that early...and I knew from memory the real little kids didn't talk in the trial so I didn't bother going near them when hunting shit down.

The game is gonna be maddening for trophy hunters who thought they were gonna get a quick easy Platinum out of it (at least until a Roadmap appears)

I got the other Sunmeadow Grove fishing spot unlocked this afternoon by doing the Mushroom Quest for the old lady in the Panda Market general store. She gave me the the option of something from the store or a Fishing Spot. I chose Fishing Spot and she gave me access to the other Sunmeadow Grove fishing spot. (turns out she controls fishing licences)

I also got a fishing spot from the Soccer Ball quest. The little pond near the Cow Stable.
This is bizarre. When I did the mushroom quest she offered me a vase or a pot which I could sell. No option of a fishing location.

What's the soccer ball quest mate?

How many locked fishing spots do you know? I think I've seen only 3.
Sunflower Meadow River, Little Pond & 3rd Lake spot.

So only lake where you rent the fishing rod still unknown how to unlock?

You play pail toss and get the kid from Panda Village, a soccer ball (hardest pail toss).

EDIT* Ugh, way late of a post lol :(

How many locked fishing spots do you know? I think I've seen only 3.
Sunflower Meadow River, Little Pond & 3rd Lake spot.

So only lake where you rent the fishing rod still unknown how to unlock?
How many are there in total? I've only found

2 at big lake
Sunflower grove
Soccer ball one

Thats what I'm wondering. Could give us a hint to where missing quests are and how many.
The ones at lake could mean theres another quest from the fishing store guy. Maybe you really need the 1000 fish caught.

I'm still wondering if danielmann is on NG+, since he seems to be the only one who managed to unlock them yet.

Back