Shenmue 3 Steam's version

In response to that review someone else posted here (sorry, I forgot who posted this)

No, it doesn't. That's your hyperbole and outrage kicking in. You shouldn't review a game based on decisions made by a publisher no matter how it effects you. You should review the game itself.

It's a one weekend deal on a game that is a year old. All it says to me is they wanted to get some further sales on launch weekend. Sure, you could read more into it if you want. But all it says to me is it's a year old game that has been on and off sale everywhere else, it would only make sense to release at a cheaper price to entice sales. But anyways.

Destroyed by reviews? It received mostly middle of the road reviews. And as a hardcore fan? I don't consider the game a disappointment. I consider it slightly underwhelming in parts, but mostly successful at what it aimed to be. Which was more Shenmue.

I don't remember any early PS3 game looking or running this good. Maybe they should go back and LOOK at early PS3 games. Also, played a PSone game lately? I gather not. This is a hyperbolic statement.

I'm sorry, but did we play the same game let alone the same franchise? Say what you will about the fighting, but its general controls are greatly modernized next to the Dreamcast games, the Japanese voice acting was fine, the graphics while nothing Naughty Dog level were serviceable for what it needed to be and its open world design was modernized when compared to the walled off sections of the first two games. As for the pacing? SHENMUE WAS ALWAYS A SLOW FUCKING BURN! Why is anyone surprised by Shenmue III being a slow burn?

When you can't think of anything constructive to say for yourself, just go quote some click bait hack of a Youtuber who made a half assed video bitching about things that were easily debunked by others.

Oh come on! I can find positive in even games that I flat out hated! I flat out hated Watch_Dogs 2 and yet I can still find some positive in it. Just for example. That's you being hyperbolic again because you're still butt hurt about the Epic thing.

Ummm, maybe that's because it was a BUDGET game you fucking dense moron! (pardon my language but this made me laugh my ass off when reading). Compared to the likes of most first party games, it is a bloody budget game! Say what you will about its flaws but the man gave you a full Shenmue experience on a fraction of the budget it should have taken. Fuck off!

So you re-bought a game that, and I quote, you said had no redeeming values? Wow, what a waste of money on your behalf. Way to stick it to the man. By supporting them further and putting money in their pocket just so you can write a pithy Steam review and feel like a big man for doing so. To make you feel like you're sticking it to the man...never mind the fact you gave the man more of your hard earned money. BRAVO, genius! BRAVO!

Thanks for the money, bitch. You do realize Deep Silver is laughing at you as they take your money and read your pithy bullshit review, right?
For me the thing that made me laugh the most out of this review is "I bought it as reminder that we need to move on"

So, you bought a game one year later, you, took time to write a review trashing the game, you keep going on forums to trash the game (he trolls alot on the Steam Shenmue 3 forum), to move on?

I'm sorry but, instead of doing all that to move on, you could have simply moved on?

For me the thing that made me laugh the most out of this review is "I bought it as reminder that we need to move on"

So, you bought a game one year later, you, took time to write a review trashing the game, you keep going on forums to trash the game (he trolls alot on the Steam Shenmue 3 forum), to move on?

I'm sorry but, instead of doing all that to move on, you could have simply moved on?
Exactly :D

Hates the game, finds nothing redeeming about it, wants to "move on", hates what "the man" did with it...but buys it again because they want to be reminded of all of these things? WAY TO STICK IT TO THE MAN!

1291057-thumbs_up.jpg

Yeah, sure! See you at Shenmue IV, bitch! :D

In all seriousness, there are plenty of bad movies I've seen that I don't want to be reminded off and would never dream of buying the Blu Ray for...this new class of punk sure likes capitalism a whole bunch. Let's stick it to the man by giving them more money! :D :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Yeah I know those 3 games. But I'm more familiar with Star Citizen, since I play it. I know the other 2 by names only.

But very good example. If I take Star Citizen, It's true that there are alot of haters saying that this is a scam, that they are being robbed etc... It's very vocal, if you know the project from far away, you'd almost think that Star Citizen would die soon because everyone was leaving. Yet, 2020 was their best years concerning donation/backing/pledges

So while there is a very vocal minority who loves to trash the game et Chris Roberts, the fact that it's the best year in SC history proves that the majority is still behind the project and still believes in it. But they just don't vocally say it.
In some respects that positive vocalisation not being voiced gives the wrong impression, that SC is a con. But you're more likely to discuss a negative view on something than a positive one.

Applying that to Shenmue III and there is a small vocal group who hate the game and will continue to. But user metrics, and reviews suggest things are OK.

Luckily we know that YSNET etc haven't listened to them in great depth but more taken into account the constructive feedback of a number of outlets.

EDIT: I should also add that let's remain calm over these reviews. The calm rationale challenge of these reviews carries much more weight and longevity.

Last edited:
EDIT: I should also add that let's remain calm over these reviews. The calm rationale challenge of these reviews Carrie's much more weight and longevity.

Normally I wouldn't pay it any attention, but the delicious irony of someone rebelling against the man while throwing their money at that same man is just too delicious not to mock :D

Normally I wouldn't pay it any attention, but the delicious irony of someone rebelling against the man while throwing their money at that same man is just too delicious not to mock :D
That is the whole definition of irony, not to mention the ultimate d*** move made by the reviewer. Don't even get me started on the situation at GameFAQs.

That is the whole definition of irony, not to mention the ultimate d*** move made by the reviewer. Don't even get me started on the situation at GameFAQs.
Not to get you started, but I am unaware about GameFAQs.

Just the big lines please or a thread to look at 👀

So I have a couple minor things to bump concerning the Steam release. I posted about some of these in another topic but this seems to be the main one so I'll follow up here:

Kickstarter Rewards + Deluxe Edition​

Firstly, some backers may have found out that if they redeemed their Kickstarter key for the game, they were not able to buy the Deluxe Edition to get Burning Sandstorm or the Flight/Military Jacket, which was not given by any other means. At the checkout Steam says "You already own this game."

This can be overcome! Steam has a license deactivation process that contains the words "permanently remove" but this does not permanently remove the license. Steam Support confirmed with me that in spite of the name it is reversible. They also told me that this would not allow Deluxe Edition to be bought since the original license couldn't be removed, but it worked for me and another backer on the game's Steam Discussions forum.

To simplify the process: From any Steam Community page, select Support > Shenmue III > "I want to permanently remove this game from my account". Make sure to select the game license (if you have a "KS Reward Bundle" license, you don't need to select that). After doing that, you can then complete the Deluxe Edition purchase.

The funny thing is, after I bought Deluxe Edition, it automatically un-removed the Kickstarter key license too, so now that support page gives me the unique message "You own this product as part of multiple packages." and amusingly lists the game as both activated and purchased, with different dates.

ownedAsPartOfMultiplePackages.png
After doing this, the Deluxe Edition content activated correctly in my game, with the three DLCs appearing when I next entered the main menu, and after loading my ongoing save the usual DLC window appeared to provide Burning Sandstorm and the Flight/Military Jacket. Amusingly it also listed my Kickstarter rewards again, even though I was wearing one of them! I did not get duplicates of these.
kickstarterPlusDeluxe.png
This only happened when continuing a game I had previously saved with Kickstarter rewards; I also started a new game after this and it correctly showed one of each reward in two windows - the first for my Kickstarter rewards, the second for the two Deluxe Edition items.

I have shared this detail on both the Steam discussion forum and Reddit as a PSA.

DLC Achievements are Broken​

Several Steam users have reported that none of the achievements for any of the game's three DLCs are working.

I have passed this onto the Ys Net rep who is still responding to Kickstarter messages, but this hasn't received response yet.

Separately someone has contacted Deep Silver on Twitter over the matter, and they have received a response: "Thanks for getting in touch about this. We're investigating the issue!" The speed of this response means they may have already been looking into it.

Meanwhile I have also suggested users on the GOG forums check to see if they can unlock DLC achievements as this matter may be affecting them as well. No response so far.

Keyboard icons and build 03112​

The version presented on Steam is build 03111. Many Steam gamers have complained that it lacks keyboard icons, and have pointed to the EGS version of the game as having them, potentially added as part of their marginally higher version number 03112.

This has been discussed and I also referred it to Ys Net via the same Kickstarter messages as the achievements issue. There has not yet been any comment from Ys Net or Deep Silver about this one but it may be included as part of a post-release patch alongside achievement fixes.

Back