Shenmue 3 Story DLC Question

TwiceFriedRice

Dojo member since 2001
Steam
SkillgoreK
Nintendo Friend Code
Skillgore31
I know this has been covered, but I can't find anything on the front page and a Google search is doing me no good.

I have a save in Niawou from after the point where Shenhua gets captured, but before I travel to the castle. I'm assuming that I can't trigger either of the DLCs since Shenhua isn't around? Which means that I'll have to load up a pre-Niawou save since I don't have any other saves for that city?

In that case, can you trigger the DLC content as soon as you arrive in Niawou? Thanks.

I know this has been covered, but I can't find anything on the front page and a Google search is doing me no good.

I have a save in Niawou from after the point where Shenhua gets captured, but before I travel to the castle. I'm assuming that I can't trigger either of the DLCs since Shenhua isn't around? Which means that I'll have to load up a pre-Niawou save since I don't have any other saves for that city?

In that case, can you trigger the DLC content as soon as you arrive in Niawou? Thanks.
You should be able to trigger the boat dlc as soon as you arrive in Niawou (well, technically, you need to sleep first). You can trigger the story DLC after visiting the Buddhist shop to ask about Shenhua’s father, although you won’t be able to complete it until after your first visit to the Red Snakes HQ.

Welp, that sucked. I can't believe they thought that doing the Chawan sign over and over among 15 different places, 5 separate times until you found the right one was a good gameplay loop. I mean, at least let Ryo do his own detective work in between doing the signs. That is what Shenmue is about, after all. Instead, you find the right place to do the sign, then go back to the hotel to talk to the guy who gives you another sign to try. And the only reason you're doing this is to get information from other informants working for Zhu. If Ryo was able to go around investigating and doing his own work regarding the Blue Spiders, and THEN sign in order to contact the Zhu associate to give them the intel, it would've much more interesting from both a gameplay and story perspective. Hell, as is, it doesn't even make sense story-wise. Why is Ryo doing this work instead Wei/Mai? It makes no sense.

I was also really curious about how the dinner scene was going play out with Ryo and Shenhua after hearing about it. And...there actually was no scene. Nothing really interesting happens between them at all, not even any entertaining bits of dialogue.

And don't even get me started on the "twist" and the "villain's" motive.

There is zero reason to play this DLC. In fact, if I ever play through Shenmue 3 again (hopefully before Shenmue 4 comes out), I think I'll just skip it. What a waste of time.

Welp, that sucked. I can't believe they thought that doing the Chawan sign over and over among 15 different places, 5 separate times until you found the right one was a good gameplay loop. I mean, at least let Ryo do his own detective work in between doing the signs. That is what Shenmue is about, after all. Instead, you find the right place to do the sign, then go back to the hotel to talk to the guy who gives you another sign to try. And the only reason you're doing this is to get information from other informants working for Zhu. If Ryo was able to go around investigating and doing his own work regarding the Blue Spiders, and THEN sign in order to contact the Zhu associate to give them the intel, it would've much more interesting from both a gameplay and story perspective. Hell, as is, it doesn't even make sense story-wise. Why is Ryo doing this work instead Wei/Mai? It makes no sense.

I was also really curious about how the dinner scene was going play out with Ryo and Shenhua after hearing about it. And...there actually was no scene. Nothing really interesting happens between them at all, not even any entertaining bits of dialogue.

And don't even get me started on the "twist" and the "villain's" motive.

There is zero reason to play this DLC. In fact, if I ever play through Shenmue 3 again (hopefully before Shenmue 4 comes out), I think I'll just skip it. What a waste of time.
I found the same, repeated line he used and the same animation of him turning his head to be a bit annoying.

I found the same, repeated line he used and the same animation of him turning his head to be a bit annoying.

"What? Me?!"

Yes, you. Do the same thing you just did the first 4 times. It's not that complicated.

Back