Shenmue 3 Streetdate Broken

Non spoiler impressions from the first 3 or so hours I watched someone stream.

1. Recap movie gives the very basics. Its enough to catch up but not really enough to appreciate the density of the first two games.

2. The intro to the game is very good and has great cinematics, animations, voice acting, and over all direction. With the exception of one major story choice its quite amazing.9

3. The scene immediately following the intro is the exact opposite. Loads of fade ins and outs and awkward dialogue.

4. Essentially after that its like the Backer trial but with more Shenhua and setup

5. Combat doesnt look to be just button mashing. You have to train and practice and level up to get anywhere or you'll fall flat on your face.

6. Already can tell the economy is going to be a pretty substantial part of gameplay. You run out of money/health quickly so you need to work or find other ways to make money.

7. Investigation is very nice, it feels very Shenmue. Theres a lot of npc interaction and some even in the form of mini games. You dont have to wait around until the correct time to be places if you dont want to and there is fast travel to places youve already visited.

8. Go away you damn brats.

I remember YS said that the ending was trying to bait a sequel.
I think there is going to be some "magic stuff" in the game, but more akin to things like "ki" elemental forces and such.
The game was basically rooted in realism then in a second we get flying swords and magic lasers, is kinda a mood kill. And honestly, it becomes a pink elefant in the room for the game. You still need to have the game rooted in reality, and that moment kinda soils it.I wouldn't be wasting money on gatcha after I saw a magic sword flying around.

I can never understand how you guys wilfully get spoiled. To each their own but damn you're crazy :sneaky:

Ok I couldn't help but notice the post saying the magic sword got retconned. Now this is the type of spoiler I want to know before I play the game because I know my immediate reaction would distract me when I play it. So yeah I can say that I'd be pretty upset as that was one of the key moments of the cliffhanger in Shenmue II. The rational side of me is saying the magic element will still be there but at best Yu wanted to place it somewhere else in the story for better narrative impact. If that's the case then I can live with it.

However if its a complete retcon then yeah I'm not going to be happy. Wow am I glad to learn this now.
I really don't like this either.

I know that some people didn't like it and wanted the game to remain rooted in reality, but it was the culmination of the focus on mundane elevating the non-mundane. So will shenhua "power" be retconned too ? and does it also mean that I'm never going to see the phoenix in the sky ? :crying:
Yes, I find it very weird to, but still I can confirm with one stream I saw :
- The sword isn't mentioned at all in the recap movie
- The first scene of Shenmue 3 is a recreation of the last scene of the 2. Off voice is reading the letter from Shenhua's father, with the mention of the sword, but we don't see the "sword in the altar" scene. We just see the phoenix mirror beam scene which directly fire the torches without bouncing on the floating sword first. In fact we do not see the sword AT ALL during the whole scene.

.... still it's the menu arrow of the game. So I guess it will still have a purpose, but the "magic act" at the end of Shenmue 2 seems to be rewritten in order to not include any "magic fact" like the sword floating in the air.
I dont know how much spoilers or details are allowed here so i post it in a spoiler tag,
its nothing major and just about the very beginning of the game, like the first 60 seconds, nothing else.
Its not even really about the story of Shenmue 3.

The flying sword seems to be ... "removed"?
They only mention the sword once and only that Shenhua should take it.
The flying sword is not in the recap movie.
And then Shenmue 3 starts with the light beam that ignites the torches to show the carved wall mirrors,
no sword anywhere.

I am not going to lie, the sword retcon is very upsetting to me. Yu said he didnt really chance anything or compromise from the story but this is a pretty big change to me. It feels like he backtracked because of people asking him about the magical stuff, but honestly its weird as the magical stuff is still al over this series.

Ryo has visions of Shenhua

Shenhua is implied to be able to manipulate her being via tapping into her ancestors

There is a prophecy about a dragon emerging from the earth and a phoenix creating a purple wind.

Shenhua's father predicts not only Iwao will have a son but that his son will come to Guilin and randomly meet Shenhua and find the cave and place the phoenix mirror in the cave to use magic to ignite some rope to show the giant mirrors.

There are literal fortune tellers...

Now, shenmue 3s intro keeps the mention of the sword but its nowhere to be seen. Its weird though because theres still magic with the light.

My hope is that it isnt a complete retcon and that Ryo and Shenhua will get the sword and bring it back to the cave and we'll get an extended magical scene.

I mean the sword is on the damn menu and its casting a magical light beam. Its weird af that it was removed from the intro.

Swords exists in real life.
Magical floating swords that shoot magical lasers don't.

The sword just reflected the laser light that came from the Phoenix Mirror; it doesn't shoot lasers, but rather, more light.

That's how I interpret it, anyways.

Someone is streaming on youtube right now. If you go to his stream you can just scroll back on the timeline if you want.
any chance you can PM me that link good sir/mam/human person <3 ?

Or can anyone send me a link. I am fully ready to be spoiled. my LRG edition should be here in a few days.

EDIT: NM found the YouTube stream. I am assuming I can't post it here. So I won't!

Last edited:
My thoughts on this

There was a gas leak in the cave and the whole thing was a fever dream. Seriously though I'm glad it's gone, I thought it was very jarring back in the day. Then we got the shenmue online stuff with fireballs being thrown and thought great, it's now street fighter the rpg, not virtua fighter.

My thoughts on this

There was a gas leak in the cave and the whole thing was a fever dream. Seriously though I'm glad it's gone, I thought it was very jarring back in the day. Then we got the shenmue online stuff with fireballs being thrown and thought great, it's now street fighter the rpg, not virtua fighter.

Totally agree. Even as a 13 year old (back then), I was like wtf... magic?

I can never understand how you guys wilfully get spoiled. To each their own but damn you're crazy :sneaky:

I dont really see it as a spoiler, i think its totally fine to watch the first 30-90 minutes of 12,15, 20+ hours games
just to see if you have the right expectations or what to expect in general.
I always do this to get into the right mood before i start it myself.

For me, real spoilers are if you intentionally look for the end scenes or big twists of movies / games.
Watching the first part of some Lets play doesnt count as a spoiler for me.

I dont really see it as a spoiler, i think its totally fine to watch the first 30-90 minutes of 12,15, 20+ hours games

For me, real spoilers are if you intentionally look for the end scenes or big twists of movies / games.

I'd say the same... To anything other than Shenmue.. I've waited half my life for this. I want to experience all of it without being spoiled. Trailers are how far I'm willing to go.

Last edited:
From the stream of the game yesterday, in the notebook there was a list of people you can call with their numbers.

I dont remember at what time in the video it was and dont feel like going back to look right now but theres are the ones I remember

Joy
Fangmei
Ine-San
Nozomi
Zhang
Fukuhara Masayuki

And several more.
yu said no magic stuff was in this game guys..
Theres a fortune teller and the literal plot of the game revoles around a prophecy. Magic is already in the game.

Exactly; spoilers without context, really aren't spoilers at all.

I dont know if this counts as street date broken spoiler or as random Shenmue thought so i post it here too.
Shenmue 3 CE unboxing video is available.
The CE mirror is not the same as the Gamestop one, the CE mirror is bigger.

mirror.png

First shop I checked today didn’t have the game yer...goddamnit if my heart wasn’t racing when the guy was checking his PC for the game!!!

Ok then
giphy.gif

Back