Shenmue 3 wins IGN JP GOTY award

Best Sound Award

There are a lot of awkward conversations, but the overwhelming volume of the voice of Shenmue III gives the voice to a wide variety of NPCs and gives individuality. The main character uses a different tone depending on the other party, for example, softens the ending to the child, and repeats it in a loud voice to the old man who is hard of hearing - it is also in three stages! Everyday life that can not be tasted in other games, the contribution by the voice is large.

To hear the background music that had been in the storehouse in the sequel for the first time in 18 years is the joy of opening an old treasure chest, but it has been remastered so as not to feel old. Erhu is impressive gentle tunes and the cry of the cicula (the number increases at night!) The environmental sounds of children's playing voices and the sound effects that make you want to meditate, make you feel the rhythm unique to The Great Nature of Guilin, China, and create an atmosphere according to the situation of more than six battle background music. Krabe Esla

Sound enthusiasts the world over will be flocking to get a copy now i´m sure of it

Sound enthusiasts the world over will be flocking to get a copy now i´m sure of it
I’m a little surprised it won an award (looking at the categories, I don’t think it excelled in any one given category in spite of it being, in my opinion, one of the best games of this year), but having a GOTY award in any category will definitely attract buyers. Maybe not many people, but being one of the best 9 games of the year should hold some weight in Japan.

Getting a 9.9 on IGN Japan didn't seem to move any units. Is IGN Japan a popular site?
I couldn’t tell you. My Japanese is god awful and so I get my gaming news elsewhere (although in truth, I can’t say I read too much gaming news in general).

An award is an award though and should be celebrated. It will look good to potential publishers and investors of S4 too. I’m sure DS will be happy.

Getting a 9.9 on IGN Japan didn't seem to move any units. Is IGN Japan a popular site?
I noticed there isnt exactly much interaction on their sites from when I looked, alot of stuff just doesn't have comments and the like

I noticed there isnt exactly much interaction on their sites from when I looked, alot of stuff just doesn't have comments and the like
Their twitter account has 67k followers to IGN US’ 7m. I suppose that says quite a bit.

He got a 9.0 on IGN Japan. And it's review is by far more accurate than the one by IGN US.
The problem being IGN US is the one with several million of followers unfortunately.

It doesn't matter if a review moves unit or not in the end.
What matters is to fight a consensus who tries to put Shenmue in a category defined by words like dated, archaic, boring, etc...
Because when people who do appreciate the series stop being vocal, then it really will be the end of it.

IGN's structure is a little odd - I think only IGN US,UK and Australia/NZ are actually IGN. The others are basically independent sites that people run and pay a license fee to the main IGN for the rights to the name and content (they can then either make their own content or translate the original english content).

Back