Shenmue 4 discussion

Sput Vas Normandy

There's a lot of buzz around Shenmue 4
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Starfield
I open again the thread of IGN. What I tried to discuss particulary was this quote of Yu Suzuki:
And I hope to continue the series as long as people are interested."

Whats the meaning of that? Because people were interested all this years and this is what we got. Yesterday was a financial issue only? And now it's not a problem anymore? It depends of the sales, so Shenmue 3 needs to sell a lot? Like 10 million? Impossible. 5? It seems hard to me. 3? Well, I think that's a reachable number in the long run. It will be that a decent number for Shenmue sales expectations?

Or maybe great user scoring? Praise to Shenmue 3 in social media? Good youtube reviews? Lot of people watching Shenmue 3 on twitch?

Do you think we're gonna see this? And if we will, 5 years? 10? 18?

When we finish Shenmue 3 we can discuss here what do we expect of Shenmue 4 in terms of story and gameplay too

The storyline has a finite ending, but Yu Suzuki has designed the games to be somewhat scalable in how much of the story is contained in each one and therefore how many games there will ultimately be. In recent years he has expressed that 6 would be ideal. But at the same time he obviously has to be pragmatic with business considerations, so it may or may not be possible to do 6 games. I think what he means is "as long as people are interested," meaning as long as they are buying the games, then they'll be able to continue making them until the story is complete.

Sales. If the market demands another Shenmue, another Shenmue will be made.

Pretty much.

What I think most ardent fans are most curious about given the initial process was Kickstarted before we had Deep Silver and more recently EGS involvement (Along with Shibuya productions and Sony) is what milestones in terms of sales the third title has to achieve before they can greenlight a forth game. Equally as interesting is what sales numbers must Shenmue 3 achieve for Sega to get behind such a production?

We can make educated guesses and hope for best.

Devils Advocate Answer: Shenmue 4 is already in development and the ending to 3 is likely a prelude to the 4th game like the ending of II was to III.

Devils Advocate Answer: Shenmue 4 is already in development and the ending to 3 is likely a prelude to the 4th game like the ending of II was to III.
Plot twist: at the end of Shenmue 3, in a black screen suddenly appears the following text:
CONTINUE THIS ADVENTURE IN SHENMUE 4.
RELEASE DATE: NOVEMBER 2020

Last edited:
I remember that post and the anger I felt feeling betrayed and hopes given up. I am glad things are different now.

The fallout from the article was indeed legendary and for all the wrong reasons. Whether Adam Doree got taken by a source, fabricated a lot of this article or there were plans that ultimately fell through has never been clarified.

Thankfully with less than two weeks to go, we are on the other side of that tunnel.

The fallout from the article was indeed legendary and for all the wrong reasons. Whether Adam Doree got taken by a source, fabricated a lot of this article or there were plans that ultimately fell through has never been clarified.

Thankfully with less than two weeks to go, we are on the other side of that tunnel.
We used this in our road to Shenmue III social media road map. Never fails to cause such a stir. I think Adam Doree signed up to the old forums to clarify some bits.

Ultimately this no longer matters but, like it or not, this article is a significant part of Shenmue's history.

honestly since shenmue 4 probably won't be the ending I'm afraid that if we do get it and it doesn't sell well then we will be left with another cliffhanger. I'm not too worried about shenmue 3 since with all the publicity it got it will probably sell well enough to warrant a sequel.

I remember that post and the anger I felt feeling betrayed and hopes given up. I am glad things are different now.

Even though we're obviously in a better place now, I wish Adam Doree could appear in that Shenmue Documentary thats coming out and explain himself for that load of garbage. From what I remember, he still to this day is sticking to his guns that his source is credible and that Shenmue 3 was ready for next gen consoles.

I think we should give Suzuki -San all the games he needs to finish the Saga at his terms. If he needs S4 and 5 to finish the series it cannot be helped. That S4 will happen is quite possibe and so a 5 is also not completly out of the Question.

It looks like that S3 will be a worthy Sequel that makes fans happy, so the fans will also support Yu-San again when he wants to make S4.

I would not hesitate to back S4 and S5 as well if needed. I still hope that These games are going to be funded in a more tradionell way though.

Crowd Funding attracts way too many weird People. And these are prone to create Troubles that could hurt the Reputation of the Project and the game.

We used this in our road to Shenmue III social media road map. Never fails to cause such a stir. I think Adam Doree signed up to the old forums to clarify some bits.

Ultimately this no longer matters but, like it or not, this article is a significant part of Shenmue's history.

I only vaguely remember most of these rumours, but reading that article they seemed so sure it was happening. I hope one day we get a full blown history book that details every last bit of development. I'd love to know what the deal was with Shenmue 3 over all those years. Was it left dormant? Or were there attempts to get it off the ground that just never came to fruition?

Also, that article claims somone at AM2 said in 2003 that the plan is for Shenmue 3 to conclude the series. Was that true? Perhaps that's where all those misconceptions that Shenmue is a trilogy come from.

I'm still a bit skeptical. On the worst case scenario I just hope Epic, DS and Sony placed enough money to at least start shenmue 4 soon enough. This game is a niche game, the amount of people interested will be more or less the backers plus some new players but I doubt this will sell more copies than... say Call of Duty, or even the rare game Death Stranding...

I hope I'm wrong though.

Yu sure has faith not finishing the story in Shenmue 3. It only took 18 years after the release of Shenmue 2 for another game to be released.

Back