Shenmue 70 man/person battle

I first played Shenmue 2 in the spring of 2002, and first played Shenmue 1 in the Autumn of 2002. I was 24 then.

My favorite part of the game was 70 person free battle, and it was my dream to break the world record of 2:56:40. I trained myself very hard between 2002 and 2004. My best time on Dreamcast was 3:07:63. It was in January or February of 2004. Since then I hadn't had any progress so I gave up trying. I hadn't touched the game for more than 10 years.

Attachments

• 307.jpg
    307.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
In December of 2018, I started to practice 70 man battle on STEAM. I was 40, an old man, and I just expected to record some videos because I didn't record any video between 2002 and 2004 when I was at my best. But to my surpirse,I made rapid progress and finally I did break my Dreamcast record on January 31, 2019. The new record on STEAM was 3:06.10. I was not old at all.

Last edited:
This time, again, it seemed impossible to improve so I gave up. Until August 2019, I decided to train again. This time things got along well and I finally made it under 3:00 on September 18, 2019. The time was 2:59.97.

It was said that KAZEMARU, the world record holder, once said that in order to achieve sub 3:00 you need God's help. There was 3.57 seconds to reach his records. I thought it almost impossible for me but I still kept on trying sometimes. God's help finally came. It was on January 18, 2020. The 67 defeated time was 2:14.03, which is a crazy unbelievable time. I never thought I could be so fast under 2:15, a dream time. Nobody could stop me. But I made a mistake at the beginning of fighting PEDRO, and the VS. PEDRO time was 0:38.97, which is not so good compared to my best PEDRO time 0:29.50 but it was enough. The time was 2:53.00.

Last edited:
This is my story. 2:53 is not the end of it and there is still road to go. These days I started to play 70 person battle on Dreamcast emulator. The best is nullDC rev 149. The picture quality and running speed are both good. But it seems more difficult than on STEAM. I tried many times and my best time is 3:07:73, nearly the same as the 3:07:63 in 2004. How incredible!!!

Attachments

• 8.(20-2-25)3分07秒73【1080P60F】_20200225035308.JPG
    8.(20-2-25)3分07秒73【1080P60F】_20200225035308.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 307.jpg
    307.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
There is another great player on YouTube now. His name is Richard Payne. Two weeks ago he achieved his best time sub 3:00 on PS4. It was a great time, and I was impressed by his big moves in the game.

Yesterday, he uploaded another amazng time: 2:53.30! Well, I think he is more talented than me. But for the small mistakes, he would have achieved sub 2:53. I believe he will surely achieve sub 2:50 someday.

I compared my sub 3:00 section time with his:

Attachments

• Compare.png
    Compare.png
    91.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
First congratulations on World Record, it was pretty crazy watching your video and seeing you in action.

I recently have got intrigued watching speedruns of various games especially at the creativeness, skill level and ingenuity of players involved. It’s nothing short of remarkable seeing people finding and exploiting every trick in the book and then some! Here is a selection of a few of my favourite videos-

I see you have already submitted your time to speedrun.com but if you and Richard Payne keep pushing time down and potentially find some additional exploits I’m sure speedrun content creators like those above would enjoy telling your story. You should consider reaching out to them.

2:50.60! Yet another remarkable improvement, made possible by adjusting some strategies and by using a “new” moveset I have built specifically for this time trial. According to my very loose calculations, it is now technically possible to go as low as 2:3X.XX. Needless to say, it’s going to require incredible skills and reflexes and favourable RNG. Maybe someday.

For those interested in learning more about the run, I encourage you to read the video description.

2:50.60! Yet another remarkable improvement, made possible by adjusting some strategies and by using a “new” moveset I have built specifically for this time trial. According to my very loose calculations, it is now technically possible to go as low as 2:3X.XX. Needless to say, it’s going to require incredible skills and reflexes and favourable RNG. Maybe someday.

For those interested in learning more about the run, I encourage you to read the video description.

Damn, Ryo used the touch of death on the first four or five guys! :ROFLMAO: It's times like this that I wish that I had a steam copy, so I could just use a quick mod to max out all of the moves. I want to give it a shot when I'm not busy.

Back