Shenmue Anime Doesn't Get Nominated for Cruncyroll Anime Awards 2023

I wonder if they think it wasn't worth nominating because it got cancelled and didn't want egg on their faces. I wouldn't be surprised if they were embarassed the show made it to #5 on the most popular award. I might be overthinking it, but the description on the news page almost seemed apologetic for it (sometimes I fear the word "passionate" is used in a negative way at times).

Either way, poor show.

EDIT: Here's a nice article about the anime by the way - https://gamerant.com/best-video-game-adaptations-movies-tv-shows-anime/

Last edited:
It is pretty simple really. They are burying it.

They know a follow up is not planned so why give it any more sideways marketing via an internal reward.

It sucks, but I understand Crunchyroll not promoting a series that got cancelled.
I also don't really buy that a Crunchyroll nomination would be the thing to make the studio reconsider.

What I believe to be our best bet is this: once the smoke of the studio merger has cleared, at some point studio heads are going to look through the library of owned IPs that were abandoned and see which ones have any potential to bring back.

They may conclude that Shenmue was not just well received both critically and by fans, but also overperformed in terms of ratings both in its initial broadcast and subsequent reruns. It also (probably) wasn't an expensive show to make, so there's no huge risk attached to reviving the show for a second season. At worst they'll end up with another season of TV that they can syndicate alongside the original season.

The downside to this is that this is not at all a sure thing and may take a while to happen, but if there's one thing Shenmue fans are used to, it's waiting.

Rated number 5 in the Crunchyroll poll for the best anime, so no.

Which is a great achievement, but it would be more impressive if Shenmue fans didn’t actively campaign to get it as many votes as possible. I’m aware other fandoms might have done that, but it definitely makes the achievement less meaningful.

Which is a great achievement, but it would be more impressive if Shenmue fans didn’t actively campaign to get it as many votes as possible. I’m aware other fandoms might have done that, but it definitely makes the achievement less meaningful.
like you said every other fandom did that and its always like that when there is a poll, so not really

I am also sad that there is no news for a Blu-Ray release of the series. i would be a day one buy for me.I am really confused why there are no plans for that.

Last edited:
The hate and bad luck this saga has always had is just amazing.

I think it has not been nominated because they know how hardcore Shenmue fans are and that we vote for Shenmue all in one but the rest of the audience received it well but without too much enthusiasm, despite they have done a good job.
I don't have the slightest idea if it was profitable for them.

I bought every merch from this anime I could find and still waiting for a Blu-Ray release, but all in all I didn't find the anime itself to be anything particularly special. It could have leaned a bit more on the drama side as anime excel in that aspect or at least had memorable action setpieces, but it didnt imo. Even in terms of videogame adaptations, it got nothing on the likes of Castlevania and Arcane League of Legends.

Back