Shenmue Anime: First Trailer

Views for the trailer on Adult Swim's YouTube channel have roughly matched that of the views on the new trailer for Blade Runner: Black Lotus, btw. Pretty impressive considering Blade Runner is a name with a much, much, much larger reach than Shenmue.
That's just me watching it over and over again

Chou touched upon how the anime will expand on the game while still remaining faithful to the source material and how having Suzuki involved in this process was important. “Even the stories that weren’t shown in the game before, [Suzuki] actually had hundreds of thousands of pages of backstories written so we were able to reveal that in the anime itself,” he said.

This is one of the reasons why i love to talk about the cut content so much, to me looks really beautiful and interesting what Yu Suzuki wrote at that time, we will even see the tournament part, this and so many other things will add so much to the Shenmue Story and this is awesome. I hope we can see Ryo going to Yokosuka High, probably in the first episode before Iwao's death, imagine seeing Ryo Hazuki with the Yokosuka High uniform like in this fan art. 😊

I found this fan art here, in this link we can see amazing fan arts http://www.illustbook.net/3ketteiome/

1633876064823.png

Baisha, Luoyang, Pagoda Forest and so many other things looks so interesting, i really hope we can see this content someday, looks like we will see a lot of cut content in the anime and i'm really glad about that.

If we get a second season one day i disagree with covering Shenmue III in just 2 episodes, in my opinion Shenmue III story is not just the castle part. The conversations with Shenhua are part of the story, talking with Chengxu Feng about Iwao and Sunming Zhao, trainning with Master Sun, fighting Yanlang, the flashbacks about the mirrors, the red snakes and the blue spiders, training with Grandmaster Bei, Niao Sun and much more

If a second season happen they can add so much to the Shenmue III story

The anime is a perfect opportunity for Yu Suzuki to add more scenes in the story of Shenmue III and even make more scenes and character development for the characters in Bailu and Niaowu, specialy Niaowu with Qiu Hsu, Shiling Ling and Grandmaster Bei. Yu Suzuki can even try to put Baisha in the second season, if he decide to cut out Baisha in Shenmue IV then the anime is the perfect opportunity to put Baisha.

I'm glad that Yu Suzuki is involved with the anime and that now he have the opportunity to put this type of content, if he even decide to finish the story with the anime i will understand his decision, maybe he will need 4 or 5 seasons to end the story, i don't know, i prefer to experience and see the next chapters in the games but if he decide to finish the story with the anime i will really understand, but i think Shenmue IV is in development, maybe i'm too optimistic but i really think Yu Suzuki is developing Shenmue IV.

i really have a feeling that i will love this anime, i will buy what i can to help the anime, i agree that it is a magical moment for the Shenmue Community, like i said other times, we never give up and this is beautiful, i really feel that one day we will see Shenmue complete. 😊

Last edited:
If this is a Crunchy Roll original, you have to imagine they'll be pushing it super hard. Remember they have a user base of 200 million+, along with an additional 5 million premium users.

This doesn't even include the tv audience from toonami and adult swim

I think the anime will do just fine. No doubt the community will buy all the physical releases and merch as well.

Anime can spread like wildfire and go viral very quickly, especially if it has beautiful animation and fights, which this is looking to have.

We're going to be ok

Facts... if we can get at least 10% of the anime crowd to give Shenmue a try I believe that alone would put us over the top. We have to spread the word that Shenmue was a video game first because this anime could very easily surpass the game. Almost to the point that Yu would finish the story in anime form.

I don't have a problem with this as long as the games come out.

Facts... if we can get at least 10% of the anime crowd to give Shenmue a try I believe that alone would put us over the top. We have to spread the word that Shenmue was a video game first because this anime could very easily surpass the game. Almost to the point that Yu would finish the story in anime form.

I don't have a problem with this as long as the games come out.
It is almost certain that there will be a physical Dvd or Blue Ray edition of the Anime because Shenmue merchandise has always sold very well.
A good way to promote the games along with the anime would be to give a significative discount on the games of the series in the purchase of a physical version of the anime per example.
They could also promote the video games at the end of each episode with a special trailer to captivate new viewers into buying the games.

I agree with your general point, but if the firs season is successful enough to warrant a second, I bet we could have 3 seasons instead of two. And that would give more space for telling what looks like a rich story.

Bailu, in particular, should get at least 2 episodes IMO, with more emphasis on the legend and Iwao and Zhao's stories there. And of course some time to develop Shenhua as a character (nightly conversations, maybe even the hike towards Bailu if first season didn't have room for that).

Then I wouldn't mind if Niaowu was completely scrapped or reworked, because I don't feel the setting added much as a location, and they can present Niao Sun (and make her betray Lan Di) elsewhere, even in Bailu if needed. I think the planned Baisha chapter with the tulous (which are an interesting setting indeed) should be brought back, so that makes around 3-4 chapters devoted to the (intended) Shenmue 3 story.

The rest is unknown to us, but I guess they couldn't cram all this in 8 episodes:

* The Cliff Temple and the treasure. Purpose of the mirrors.
* The 4 Chiyoumen leaders and their power struggles
* Luoyang and Shenhua's origin
* Meng Cun, Zhao's death explained and resolution for Lan Di's arc
* Ziming and the Xiuying arc
* Ren's resolution. Or, as hinted in the VF RPG cards,
Ren's death
* Wrapping it all together (Ryo's new purpose)
I'd absolutely take 3 anime seasons as well. I'm all for cutting out the Niaowu part completely, too. Just introduce Niao elsewhere and go straight from Bailu to Baisha, as it should have been done in the game as well anyway.

Afaik, the 4 leaders concept was only ever talked about by Shin Ishikawa in reference to some artwork that appeared in a Japanese guide book from 1999 or something like that but Yu may long have scrapped the idea. It might only be Niao and Lan now. Perhaps one day we shall see.

I was holding my breath waiting for the first trailer. Now that I've seen it, I'm pretty excited! I can't say it will replace the Gang versions as my go-to adaptations, but it will almost certainly bump Shenmue: the Movie down a notch! :ROFLMAO:

It is almost certain that there will be a physical Dvd or Blue Ray edition of the Anime because Shenmue merchandise has always sold very well.
A good way to promote the games along with the anime would be to give a significative discount on the games of the series in the purchase of a physical version of the anime per example.
They could also promote the video games at the end of each episode with a special trailer to captivate new viewers into buying the games.

They should do a full Shenmue bundle. Shenmue anime blu-ray, Shenmue 1&2 and Shenmue 3. I'm salivating just thinking about it.🤤

Bonus item: Replica Ryo notebook 📓, Tomato Convenience Winning Can or Akira Toy Capsule.

They should do a full Shenmue bundle. Shenmue anime blu-ray, Shenmue 1&2 and Shenmue 3. I'm salivating just thinking about it.🤤

Bonus item: Replica Ryo notebook 📓, Tomato Convenience Winning Can or Akira Toy Capsule.
Yeah they should; I just hope is that with the Anime part of the fan base starts to get acostumed to the idea of the story finishing in this format and stops fighting for Shenmue 4 or 5.
I'm really happy that we can have a Shenmue Anime but I would prefer for the Shenmue Legacy to end as it started, in a video game format.
Really hope they try to blend the Anime with the games in terms of promotion for the chance of finishing the series as a Video Game.

I also hope that there is going to be a Blu Ray release. I would buy it day 1 despite the fact i am subscriber on crunchyroll and can watch the anime online. But i also want to own the Anime in pyhsical form and I also want to support Shenmue as much I can.

If I have some more money left in the month of the release I would even get a more expensive deluxe edition in case there is such a thing.

I could imagine the forklift part being written away as a joke completely. Like, Ryo tangles with the Mad Angels in a completely different way, and maybe while going through the harbor one day, sees a sign for a forklift job and just scoffs at it.

I could imagine the forklift part being written away as a joke completely. Like, Ryo tangles with the Mad Angels in a completely different way, and maybe while going through the harbor one day, sees a sign for a forklift job and just scoffs at it.
I suspect the entire Forklift story beat will be relegated to just a small part of one episode. I could see the writers having Ryo fill in for a day instead of becoming full on employed and then all of the encounters are condensed down to just one event.

I suspect the entire Forklift story beat will be relegated to just a small part of one episode. I could see the writers having Ryo fill in for a day instead of becoming full on employed and then all of the encounters are condensed down to just one event.
Goro or riot!

Back