Shenmue Anime: First Trailer

Not to derail the thread but we have the anime inspite of 'fans' like this, not because of him. This guy has done more damage to the Shenmue brand than anyone.

Hopefully there's a guy named wolf with an eyepatch Ryo knocks the shit out of in the anime 👊😄
In his youtube video I told him that he could waste is life watching the Shenmue Anime.
Super Eye Patch Wolf.jpg

Nice find, pulled this hi-res version of the key art from that site without the logos:

topbg_pc.jpg

This image is now my cellphone lock screen, coming to a laptop near me also.

Anime eps are so short, that's why they're perfect for binging...I really don't like waiting week to week because I'd rather treat it like a big movie. But will I have the willpower to wait when everyone's talking about it?? Probably not!

I hope we get a spoiler ban like we did for Shenmue 3.

Anime eps are so short, that's why they're perfect for binging...I really don't like waiting week to week because I'd rather treat it like a big movie. But will I have the willpower to wait when everyone's talking about it?? Probably not!
I did this with the Higurashi anime recently for the exact same reason (not wanting to wait week to week) and it was surprisingly easy. It ended up leading me to decide against doing it for the Shenmue anime. I was weirdly unsatisfied binging it.

Then again, I also just ended up disliking the show itself, so I'm probably drawing the wrong conclusion here... But whatever! I've already made up my simple mind.

It was a good trailer, but I still worry about how well they can cover the story with just 13 episodes. It's a lot harder to tell the story and flesh out the characters with that many episodes.

I think the runtime will be fine. I mean obviously we arent going to see all of the walking, asking and waiting in the anime.
So if Ryo knows that hes supposed to be in the travel ticket shop next in the anime,
than they can simply make a cut to the next day etc.
We are not going to see his way home every day.
So this is going to reduce the time by a lot. They can still show Ryo at a vending machine,
Ryo training in the parking lot etc but those are like what ... 20, 30, 60 second long scenes?
Like little fan service scenes.
Even stuff like the bar fight is probably not longer than a minute or so.
I really doubt that theres going to be a whole episode where Ryo just asks around
and nothing else. I doubt that there will be a 5 minute long Ryo gambling scene.
So all of the time that they get from cutting it a bit faster, can be used for the important story bits
and i think its going to be okay.

Last edited:
Plus, if you watch the main plot scenes on Passport then add all the main story cutscenes in Shenmue 2 until roughly Kowloon; 22-25 min runtime for 13 episodes--I think you can fit into approx 5 hours. Even with the optional cutscenes from both first two games should fit 13 episodes.

Sound realistic to me!

So...turns out I barely got any sleep as I was buzzing so much from the trailer. Just as well I was working at home today...It's great to see lots of website pick up on it and I would say that the reaction has been fantastic.

I know we've known about it since day one, but it's nice to see the old Shenmue logo (or as close as we'll get without the looped 'S'). Also, has the text for "the animation" been amended slightly?

I do worry about the runtime; I agree it can be done, but the last thing I want is everything to be crammed in with no room to breathe (sort of like David Lynch's adaptaton of Dune), but i'm sure we'll be fine!

Last edited:
I don't know if it is just me; but from the trailer I think they pretty much wrapped up all episodes covering shenmue 1 and must be by now working on the episodes of Shenmue 2.
I think it would be great if we could see another trailer next year at Magic Monaco covering Shenmue 2 before the launch of the full anime.

I think it would be great if we could see another trailer next year at Magic Monaco covering Shenmue 2 before the launch of the full anime.
I doubt we'll get anything at Magic Monaco about the anime, I don't believe Shibuya Productions are involved in the project.

We could get Shenmue 4 news though! Would coincide with the anime hype nicely. 🤞

This guy is one my favourite Shenmue streamers; he is a big Shenmue Fan.
He is a Brazilian Youtuber that lives in Japan and he is also a huge Sega Fan; he has almost 1 million subscribers and has made playthroughs and reviews of all the Shenmue games and I'm sure he will carry on promoting the Shenmue Anime as well.

Back