Shenmue boat chapter

SCQ

Seeing how we know that there was possibly significant work done on shenmue 2 when the first game was released, do we know if there was any work done on the removed boat chapter?

Also, would you have preferred SEGA leave in the boat chapter and remove the Passport disc or are happy as is?

I remember reading that the assets were there i.e the boat, but it was never made. Some fans wanted it to be included as a flashback in Shenmue III, and it was put to Yu Suzuki in an interview, but he wasn't interested! We have a comic strip, though. Have you seen it?

It is very much unknown how much actual work has been put into getting this bit into the game. At the very least there is still a Chai model left in Shenmue II. The story in the comic is definately canon so yeah, that's why Chai was still a thing in the first place.

I'd like to get a chance to experience what happened on the boat first hand but the transitions between the games works much better as it is, without showing the trip.

It is very much unknown how much actual work has been put into getting this bit into the game. At the very least there is still a Chai model left in Shenmue II. The story in the comic is definately canon so yeah, that's why Chai was still a thing in the first place.

I'd like to get a chance to experience what happened on the boat first hand but the transitions between the games works much better as it is, without showing the trip.

Wasn't it just one final showdown with Chai before you kick his skinny arse back into the sea?

Since we follow Ryo day for day and the boat trip takes a considerable amount of time in the canon it is safe to assume that there would've been quite a lot more to do than just fighting Chai. A boat of this size is of course no town but fully fledged out it could still be a place to go and explore for a good while. The question is, how much story stuff can you fit in there to get a couple of days done. Probably a reason why it was ultimately ditched,

And speaking of beating Chai. Since he returns, I wonder if they do address the meeting on the ship in III in some dialogue.
It would be cool to hear a bit more about it that way.

I recall reading in an interview that the only part of the boat section that was actually going to be made was essentially what we read.

That meant no waiting day to day, no places to visit, just a flash-forward to the kidnapping/Chai fight.

And let's have it right, we already fought Chai enough!

I wasn't too impressed by that comic strip. As interesting as the boat chapter sounds, I thought Chai suddenly having large, metal claws was a bit ridiculous and having him climb out of the sea only to then immediately knock him back in felt as silly as Boba Fett falling into the Sarlacc pit twice in the Star Wars EU. Glad the fat was trimmed on that one, the opening to Shenmue 2 is perfect in my opinion.

As far as I'm aware, the comic where Ziming is implied to be one of the four Chi You Men may have since been retconned, so I would also be curious if this boat sequence is still treated as canon.

There was another boat section planned for the transition between Kowloon and Guilin, though I don't think it got very far past the drawing board at all.

Some interesting thoughts in here. First is the Ziming comic strip being retconned by Yu saying that Ziming is not a Chiyoumen leader, even though his outfit shown in that comic fits almost perfectly into the Chiyoumen leaders picture that was released on Muecas way back when. We know Chai on the boat is canon, as Xiaomei and her mom mentioned it to Ryo at the start of Shenmue II.

Regarding the Li River chapters, I believe it was confirmed that that is where the screenshots with OSY, the temple, and the other shots from the village with the purple clothed martial artists came from (also originally posted to Muecas). But this was also called into question because some shots we've seen of Bailu Village resemble the architecture in those old screens. I guess we'll find out in Shenmue III?

The comic with Ziming brings in much interest as mentioned above it's implied he's not a leader but a high ranking subordinate.

I've said this for years I reckon he will sacrifice himself to save Ryo in Shenmue 3. Once he knows Ryo is linked to his sister this will open up the redemption story for me..

His character design (drawn by Kenji Miyawaki, character designer for Shenmue I, II, and III), implies that he IS the leader in the far right of the Chiyoumen leader picture. That's the problem, because Yu said he was not. I guess like so many other Shenmue mysteries...we will find out next year!

How long does the boat trip take? I’m trying to time my transfer just right so I start in Hong Kong at the same time you would in Shenmue II. I believe it was a month or so, but if anyone knows exactly I would greatly appreciate it.

We actually figured that out a good few years back, but @Peter deleted the forum that had the topic in it ?‍♂️

I think it’s sixteen days though iirc.

Who knows if the Boat chapter even in original form during Shenmue 2 wasn't also a flashback--so there wasn't a need to fill half a month with less to do than Yokosuka for killing time.

How long does the boat trip take? I’m trying to time my transfer just right so I start in Hong Kong at the same time you would in Shenmue II. I believe it was a month or so, but if anyone knows exactly I would greatly appreciate it.

20 days. If you leave on February 3rd you'll arrive on February 23rd.

Back