Shenmue Book Series

I think he should just release the scripts in a bounded form. Spend a bit of money to get them translated into a few major languages and add in concept art and print it as a hardcover for a limited edition print.

Should only cost a few hundred thousand to do, which is an easy sell to investors, and the hardcore fans (us) will lap it up. They can also mass release a digital copy at a lower price and make a decent profit I would think.

Gotta think that the script is still technically 'owned' by SEGA, and that Yu can't just tweet it out for giggles for risk of being in legal trouble, but surely they wouldn't say no to a graphic novel. Most Shenmue fans would buy that for sure.

someone should just start writing a novelization of the first game and publish it online maybe via patreon or something.
if they can actually write well and are able to generate buzz they might force sega to do something officially to cash in on any potential hype.

Gotta think that the script is still technically 'owned' by SEGA, and that Yu can't just tweet it out for giggles for risk of being in legal trouble, but surely they wouldn't say no to a graphic novel. Most Shenmue fans would buy that for sure.

i think shenmuedojo member LanDC owns 1 or 2 of the original shenmue1 scrips, which he bought/got via kickstarter(?). if i remember correctly, he posted recently that's he's not allowed share anything online from them.

so there must be some sort of copyright still on the scripts.

Last edited:
They can't just keep tossing the Shenmue franchise around and jumping mediums. That's ridiculous. Finish it with a game, if not then an anime. It's way too much to have the same story told in 3 different mediums, it makes fans uneasy.

I think a visual novel with manga style cutscenes would be awesome! That way you could preserve some gameplay and even have minor simulations like day/night cycles and weather. You'd probably have to sell it at a fairly premium price to make it profitable, but it would probably take a few volumes. The only issue is that you'd have to start at the beginning of the story (again!).

I would love a book or the anime to finish the story. I haven't given up on the games yet, and I don't think that telling the story first through a book or anime would mean the games never get made either. They could expand and/or build on each other.

Shenmue 1 came out when I was already an adult. I waited 20 years for Shenmue 3. I don't play video games that much anymore and, at the pace we are going, I may not be able to physically play the games anyway whenever they do come out (my reflexes for things like QTEs aren't what they used to be).

I understand that this is Yu Suzuki's life work and I respect that. But as a fan of the series for over 20 years, I would love to have some closure. If the plan is to not finish this story until the earliest Shenmue 5, I'm just not sure how many people will be left to care. This has always been a somewhat niche fandom already.

I hope they have been working on 4 since 3 shipped and we will see it soon. But, if they still don't have the funding for 4, I think they need to find other ways to tell the story. The fact that Yu Suzuki hasn't said anything leads me to believe they are making the game. I really think he would level with the fans if they haven't found the funding at this point.

They can't just keep tossing the Shenmue franchise around and jumping mediums. That's ridiculous. Finish it with a game, if not then an anime. It's way too much to have the same story told in 3 different mediums, it makes fans uneasy.
Marvel is calling. They want to refund and recall their 50 million unnecessary Spider-Man comics, reboots, video games, cartoons and movies at risk of making fans uneasy.

If Shenmue can make money anywhere else at all (other than NFTs) I'm all for it. I'm not going to buy the $80 Ryo statue, but if people are willing to buy it and it makes the fans and rights holders happy, then why stop there? Surely, every effort should be made to get this series over the line.

Last edited:
Marvel is calling. They want to refund and recall their 50 million unnecessary Spider-Man comics, reboots, video games, cartoons and movies at risk of making fans uneasy.

If Shenmue can make money anywhere else at all (other than NFTs) I'm all for it. I'm not going to buy the $80 Ryo statue, but if people are willing to buy it and it makes the fans and rights holders happy, then why stop there? Surely, every effort should be made to get this series over the line.
I agree with you about taking every chance for boost the best - interactive - closure to the series. But ReLo had a fair point, a note of caution: if Shenmue gets yet another media format change and that gets also cancelled... Its done.
Because reputation matters in business, there's lot of superstition around cursed ips and our loved series already gained some.
I just see we want it so badly...

Edit: I just what if. What if Shenmue 4 + 5 are being wrapped together? A true "its now or never", similar as how Shenmue 2 included chapters of III.

Last edited:
I agree with you about taking every chance for boost the best - interactive - closure to the series. But ReLo had a fair point, a note of caution: if Shenmue gets yet another media format change and that gets also cancelled... Its done.
Because reputation matters in business, there's lot of superstition around cursed ips and our loved series already gained some.
I just see we want it so badly...

Edit: I just what if. What if Shenmue 4 + 5 are being wrapped together? A true "its now or never", similar as how Shenmue 2 included chapters of III.
You know what? In Japan, the number 4 'Shi', also translates as 'death', meaning that parking spaces, building floors, hotels rooms etc sometimes avoid the number. Let's just forget 4 and make Shenmue 5. Confuse the haters haha.

UK Sega Shop
View attachment 17065

Represent UK shenmue fans haha. Just release Shenmue 4 in the UK. Guaranteed to top the charts.
I was looking at the UK shop the other day and thought it was interesting that the brands section includes a mix of active and (seemingly) dormant franchises.

Sonic the Hedgehog - multiple games and movies
Yakuza - multiple games
Streets of Rage - recent game, movie in development
Crazy Taxi - rumored game as part of "Super Game" initiative
Jet Set Radio - rumored game as part of "Super Game" initiative
Altered Beast - ?
Shenmue - recent anime series

Not saying that this means Sega is really involved in any way in the future of Shenmue games, but we have heard those rumors about Crazy Taxi and JSR... if those are not really in development, how likely would it be that they invest in merchandise for them? They're famous IPs but Sega has tons of other famous IPs that are dormant as well, so why those two? And if they are including merchandise for those IPs because they are in development, why would Shenmue be included if it is not in development?

(Edited to note that Shenmue IP has had the recent anime series)

Last edited:
It would be cool to make a book or manga, but let's not forget about what we're here for in the first place. We love Shenmue as a gaming experience. It's not about the ending or the closure of the story. If we don't get a game similar to Shenmue 3, everything else is entirely different experience and will not replace the gaming one.

A book, manga, anime, "modern" Shenmue game that doesn't feel like the old games... it's going to be cool, but it's not going to be like "playing Shenmue" experience that we all love. I want all these things, including a "modern" game as a side story, but together or after the main game.

Prompting "Shenmue gets concluded in novel book form" at craion caused the next fascinating bizarre results, but strangely fitting with my gut feelings about it.
Warning, it may disturb you or your family. Viewer discretion advised.
Screenshot_20221013-210447.png

Repeat and gets better(?)
Screenshot_20221013-210739.png

Prompting "Shenmue gets concluded in novel book form" at craion caused the next fascinating bizarre results, but strangely fitting with my gut feelings about it.
1665693957514.png1665694128582.png

Hmm... I see. Nice book. However, I'd rather be gaming right about now.

I came here to ask this very question, it's difficult to say whether the story will ever be finished in a game format and especially in a way that does justice to the two original games. But maybe we could have it done in a written format maybe through Kickstarter and leave the rest to the modding community.

I came here to ask this very question, it's difficult to say whether the story will ever be finished in a game format and especially in a way that does justice to the two original games. But maybe we could have it done in a written format maybe through Kickstarter and leave the rest to the modding community.
I need,it must be touched by Yu Suzuki's thumb or I'm out.

Has there ever been any discussion around this?

I could see the general story translating very well in a written format.

It is also very low-cost to produce and we would get a crazy tonne more detail on everything. A lot more dialogue, character development, story and development of the environment.

I think it would also give the needed real estate to go through the entire story to Yu's satisfaction and pace.

Not saying this is a good idea by any means (although I would love to read it) but wondering if it has ever been considered by the community?
Thanks for the information!

Honestly I think part of what makes shenmue so unique is the fact that it IS a game made with the point of having a sense of depth and realism that's unique from just about any other game or any other medium of storytelling. I haven't found anything like Shenmue that really highlights and simulates the monotony of daily life while still telling a really engaging story, but if it really came down to it I'd hope we at least get to see the story conclude in SOME way even if it's not the way most fans would prefer.

A manga or a book series would definitely be the ideal way to tell the story given the circumstances, I just really hope Shenmue gets another chance to continue given that the anime was decent.

Back