Administrator
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Destiny 2, Shenmue HD ;)
PSN
spud19870
Merry Christmas all,

As a gift to you all we have released, early, our 1 hour sitdown interview with Cedric Biscay!

We discuss gaming, finding Shenmue, Shenmue III, Shenmue 4 and the future of the franchise as well as Cedric's other projects!

Our thanks go to Cedric for his open and honest take on things and for taking the time to speak to us!

Youtube link:
Podcast feed TBC

Great interview!

I wish I could see that Shenmue 4 pitch video.
The exciting and reassuring thing is that they've been doing this very quietly and must have some interest to be able to pitch it. Who knows what will come of it.

Believe me when I say this, we've got some absolutely amazing people working behind the scenes who care very deeply about us and this franchise.

This is something we've been waiting for. To think that there are people who heard our Shenmue IV wishes, and the very same people who work on large projects, such as these interviews, I can safely say that the future of the whole franchise is looking very bright.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone on the forums!

Having both Ryan Payton and Cedric Biscay behind the scenes always gives me comfort and reassurance. Struck lightning in a bottle twice with both of their passion and experience involved.

Any main takeaways about the future/Shenmue 4? Not sure I will be able to carve out the full hour for this.

Nice job scoring the interview and Merry Christmas everyone!

Any main takeaways about the future/Shenmue 4? Not sure I will be able to carve out the full hour for this.

Nice job scoring the interview and Merry Christmas everyone!
It's difficult to pitch the next game because of covid, but they have lots of pre-production work ready to show off, such as a video, and small playable bits. He says it looks graphically impressive.

Thanks for sharing the interview. I was really interesting. I am really glad to hear that there are some things going behind closed doors concerning SH 4. That is not confirmation that we get anything but it is really reassuring that we have motivated people behind the progress of the Shenmue Series.

Thank you for your work and effort getting these interviews. I would have loved more information from Cedric and Ryan on pre production but greatful for insights he was able to provide.

In terms of Shenmue 3’s sales although he gave a cryptic answer I think he was clear. If Shenmue 3‘s sales were significant they would have published it, i.e. It sold 1 million ect. The fact nothing was published indicate low sales. Something we all knew, the follow up question that needed to be asked was enough sold to allow for Shenmue 4 and that remains to be determined.

Thank you for your work and effort getting these interviews. I would have loved more information from Cedric and Ryan on pre production but greatful for insights he was able to provide.

In terms of Shenmue 3’s sales although he gave a cryptic answer I think he was clear. If Shenmue 3‘s sales were significant they would have published it, i.e. It sold 1 million ect. The fact nothing was published indicate low sales. Something we all knew, the follow up question that needed to be asked was enough sold to allow for Shenmue 4 and that remains to be determined.
Thanks man, I'd say the follow-up question around Shenmue 4 has kinda if been answered. They have some interest in it as they're ready to pitch it but I suspect had Shenmue III sold loads Deep Silver would have jumped on it. So my guess is Shenmue III wasn't enough for them to pick it up.

It also begs the question/assumption that they're staying away from Deep Silver if they're pitching to other publishers at this time. Cedric made no secret of how he feels they did, both I this but also back in March when he did a live FB Q&A.

PS. We should have a little more around the Shenmue III project in the new year pending approval from a other interview. But as it's Xmas I'm not expecting that until Jan earliest.

Last edited:
Great interview. Very well structured with some interesting questions.
One thing that I take from this interview and that I can't get around my head is that if Shenmue 3 sales overhaul weren't great; how are they going to get a larger budget for Shenmue 4 !?
As much as I would love to see Shenmue 4 being funded with a larger budget than Shenmue 3 and being able to play in a larger and a more graphically impressive world that would fit Yu Suzuki's vision and scope; I really can't see how that is going to happen !?
We already had the miracle of Shenmue 3 happening; but managing to get another one for Shenmue 4 will be even harder.
I still think that we are in a far better position of getting Shenmue 4 that when we were when trying to get Shenmue 3; but I believe that more than ever we have to be realistic about what we are able to make out of Shenmue 4.
I think there is a far better chance of making Shenmue 4 by building it upon the foundations of Shenmue 3 rather than seeking a more modern and more graphically impressive game.
I also think that the Shenmue series is much more appealing if it stays as an Indie title rather than trying to create a game that appeals to the masses.
In my opinion gamers that like and play indie titles are more open minded towards titles like Shenmue; but will that also be enough to make the Shenmue 4 the way we want it to be !? What is the right path to take !?
I still have a lot of hope that Shenmue 4 will get made and that the series is in the good hands of passionate people that love the series as much a we do.
All we can do is to remain vocal and help out the series in any way we can and hope for the best anytime soon.

wonderful Q & A interview. To serve as a reminder, The anime will be a good pitching measurement if we can make that a success for Sega(since they own the studio making it). Limited Merch will def be a second. We gotta make it sellout, even if its a small batch like 1-2k amount, the perception of selling out asap will be another good pitching factor for the IP's vitality. And last but not least, we can do a collective pitch and buy 1 s3 copy a month and gift it to garner new fans/interest if possible during the monthly tweetathon shenmue day.

Great interview; many thanks for this! I know that Cedric can't answer some of the burning questions, but the fact that Shenmue IV is still a possibility is very much good news.

Let's not forget - the hardest work of bringing Shenmue back from the dead has been and gone. Keeping the momentum going isn't easy, but the fact he said that the monthly tweetathons helps is good.

Onwards and upwards! :)

wonderful Q & A interview. To serve as a reminder, The anime will be a good pitching measurement if we can make that a success for Sega(since they own the studio making it). Limited Merch will def be a second. We gotta make it sellout, even if its a small batch like 1-2k amount, the perception of selling out asap will be another good pitching factor for the IP's vitality. And last but not least, we can do a collective pitch and buy 1 s3 copy a month and gift it to garner new fans/interest if possible during the monthly tweetathon shenmue day.
The Anime is a point that should not be overlooked in my humble opinion. The fact that Shenmue seems to be interesting enough for some people to make an Anime out of it, is already remarkable. Normally only mainstream stuff that is super successful gets an Anime Adaption. The Anime could be used as a gateway to promote S4 if is done good.

And as I have already said it is general a good feeling that some people still work behind closed door to make Sh4 a reality.

Listened to the first half hour tonight and really enjoyed it! Interesting that Sony were not happy with the forklift tweet haha. Cedric really sells the build up to the announcement, clocking Ueda and knowing the Last Guardian was going to be shown too.

Man would i love to see that pitch video !!! To me that's the most concrete news so far that S4 is a genuine possibility. I just hope that they are willing to settle for a lower budget game than nothing at all, his comments on the figures of Shenmue 3 could be interpreted as concerning, but time will tell of course

You're telling me that covid is preventing our boys from showing shenmue 4 off to potential investors?

This virus needs to f*k off now. Where the h£ll is Lan Di when you need him???
Just put a mask on ryo and sell shenmue 4 as a covid inspired game. Ryo social distances while fighting and orders his 100 garlic heads through the phone. Investors will love this game!!

You're telling me that covid is preventing our boys from showing shenmue 4 off to potential investors?

This virus needs to f*k off now. Where the h£ll is Lan Di when you need him???
They should have brought Wine and Buns 🍶🥟🥟 and leave them at their door step; while hiding somewhere near to surprise them with the Shenmue pitch video. 🤣

Back