spud1897

Administrator
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Destiny 2, Shenmue HD ;)
PSN
spud19870
Another month and another interview!!!!!

In this episode of Shenmue Dojo Interviews we sit down with the voice of Ryo Hazuki Corey Marshall. In our 2 hour chat we discuss finding Shenmue, Shenmue III, hidden voice actors, Twitch and more!

If you wish to follow Corey on his platforms you can on the following:

Last edited:
I was wondering how long it would be before you'd get Corey to do one of these :D

It was a year ago today Corey did his Shenmue Zoom chat. Such a great fellow (and I had to admit defeat after 4 hours and getting mega drunk). Really looking forward to this!

It makes me happy that he is as passionate about Shenmue as we are :)

Gonna listen to this now.

Jeremy Blaustein would be another interesting interview, but I don't know how heavily involved he was with the Shenmue series.

I recall that he was involved in the company who scouted for English VAs for Shenmue 1.

In case you don't know who he is, he's well known for translating Metal Gear Solid in English.

Last edited:
Finally got chance to listen to this. Great work as usual @spud1897

A couple of stray observations-

- This was the first time I heard his story of how he was originally cast. Pretty funny he thought he blew it after his first audition.

- While I strictly play the games with Japanese VA after Shenmue 2’s PAL release it was interesting to hear how Sega’s recording studios was big enough to allow multiple actors to record together (He cited scene with Master Chen, Guizhang and Chai) and being able to feed off the other actors rhythm and energy. I think in future if Shenhua or Ren are going to be constant companions, it would be ideal to record them that way.

- It was interesting as a layman to hear how the recording process worked and the fact audio was sent to an intermediary in Mexico who polished sound/mixing before sending it to Japan to be incorporated.

- Enjoyed Corey’s description and impression Suzuki doesn’t really like the big entourages and glad handling. Appears to be as humble and genuine as we have seen through the years.

- While it was nice to hear Bill Black had solid understanding of Japanese and could pick up on some subtleties and errors, how there was some huge mistakes during pivotal story points still is displeasing. Again not sure if it was his fault or the translation process.

- I could be wrong but doesn’t sound like he will be involved in the anime or perhaps casting is still yet to be done as it’s not coming out until 2022 at the earliest.

I would have loved a few more questions to see if Suzuki or anyone else gave him more insight into larger overarching story or least Ryo’s motivations in 3. We were told Ryo would evolve but outside a few scenes he remained rigidly the same. I know he tweeted during recording he doesn’t get full script just sections he has to record at the time. Still would have loved to hear if he recalls any information about Baisha or recorded any lines that never made it in the final game.

One final minor criticism, there seems to be a delay on your line when Corey was speaking which led to dead air after he spoke. I understand it’s a product of technology but I hope as you continue with your interviews you don’t get afraid to interject or even redirect the interviewee as the best interviews feel like conversations because there’s a natural back and forth.

- While I strictly play the games with Japanese VA after Shenmue 2’s PAL release it was interesting to hear how Sega’s recording studios was big enough to allow multiple actors to record together (He cited scene with Master Chen, Guizhang and Chai) and being able to feed off the other actors rhythm and energy. I think in future if Shenhua or Ren are going to be constant companions, it would be ideal to record them that way.

The best scene performances were the Chen+GuiZhang scenes, so checks out!

Back