Shenmue Dragon And Phoenix Collection

just a quick question. I mess with unreal engine a lot so when this is released will i be able to open the game up in unreal engine and mess with it myself?

thanks
mat

Favourite title
Shenmue IIx
Shenmue Dragon & Phoenix Collection is an engine replacement mod for the 2018 release of Shenmue I+II for PC that replaces the original engine with Unreal Engine 4 [...]
Assets such as models, textures, and animations are extracted from a legitimately owned copy of Shenmue I+II, and placed into Unreal Engine 4 at install time which allows us to avoid many of the pitfalls other attempts at remakes have fallen into.​
Interesting project.

I have a few questions:
1. Why did you choose a proprietary game engine and not an opensource one, or maybe write an opensource one from scratch, like the OpenMW-Team does?
2. Will the download of this project deliver the assets too, or will they be seperated? The second sentences of you indicates, that they are somehow seperated from the engine files.

OP
OP
LemonHaze

LemonHaze

Server Admin
Administrator
1. Why did you choose a proprietary game engine and not an opensource one, or maybe write an opensource one from scratch, like the OpenMW-Team does?
UE4 may not be entirely 'open-source', but it might aswell be given that there's source-level access to the whole thing. And anyway, we don't plan to sell anything here or make any profit in any way, so I'm not sure I see the issue here.

2. Will the download of this project deliver the assets too, or will they be seperated? The second sentences of you indicates, that they are somehow seperated from the engine files.
No, the only assets which will be shipped with the project will be assets created by fans. We will not ship any copyrighted material.

Last edited:
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Phantasy Star Online 2
Not to be "that guy," but is there any chance that Sega may issue a C&D? Technically a mod is probably okay, but since you are converting it to another engine, I'm not sure how that is considered.
I would never rule anything out because you never know with big corporations like Sega. There are a few notable times where they have stepped in and issued a C&D. Streets of Rage Remake being the main one and they had this weird thing about taking down playthroughs of Shining Force videos on Youtube a few years back.

On a positive note though, they are probably the best out of all games companies when it comes to letting the fans do their own thing. With the success of Sonic Mania, they are probably going to be more okay with fan projects than they already were.

I have been involved in and followed a lot of Sega fan projects over the years and none of them have received any negative attention or any problems from Sega so far. The one I was involved in the most was the fan made private server of Phantasy Star Universe. I was there from the beginning in 2014, all the way through the multiple alpha and beta tests over the years and then the official release back in October last year, not once have we had issues with Sega. The original Phantasy Star Online private servers are still going as well, and they have been up for well over a decade at this point.

I think the most comparable fan made project right now is a fan made remake of Sonic 2006. Somebody is doing a complete remake of the game using the Unity engine, it's been going on for a few years now and Sega doesn't seem to care. There is also a mod for Sonic Generations that allows you to play all Sonic Unleashed day time stages.

I'm fairly optimistic that Sega will be okay with this Shenmue remake. The only concern I have is that they did have plans to remake the games themselves a few years ago with D3T. It may have been cancelled, but it does show that Sega did have serious plans to relaunch the series. Seeing as this is recent history, I'm a bit worried that they may not be okay with being shown to look incompetent. But it's also possible that after all of these setbacks with Shenmue that they just can't be bothered with the series anymore.

I guess only time will tell, but personally, I'm optimistic this will be okay.

What would the chances of character swaps be, like having the shenmue 3 characters models in 1-2. i know it would be wierd but they are both in unreal engine so would it be possible

spud1897

Administrator
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Destiny 2, Shenmue HD ;)
PSN
spud19870
I would never rule anything out because you never know with big corporations like Sega. There are a few notable times where they have stepped in and issued a C&D. Streets of Rage Remake being the main one and they had this weird thing about taking down playthroughs of Shining Force videos on Youtube a few years back.

On a positive note though, they are probably the best out of all games companies when it comes to letting the fans do their own thing. With the success of Sonic Mania, they are probably going to be more okay with fan projects than they already were.

I have been involved in and followed a lot of Sega fan projects over the years and none of them have received any negative attention or any problems from Sega so far. The one I was involved in the most was the fan made private server of Phantasy Star Universe. I was there from the beginning in 2014, all the way through the multiple alpha and beta tests over the years and then the official release back in October last year, not once have we had issues with Sega. The original Phantasy Star Online private servers are still going as well, and they have been up for well over a decade at this point.

I think the most comparable fan made project right now is a fan made remake of Sonic 2006. Somebody is doing a complete remake of the game using the Unity engine, it's been going on for a few years now and Sega doesn't seem to care. There is also a mod for Sonic Generations that allows you to play all Sonic Unleashed day time stages.

I'm fairly optimistic that Sega will be okay with this Shenmue remake. The only concern I have is that they did have plans to remake the games themselves a few years ago with D3T. It may have been cancelled, but it does show that Sega did have serious plans to relaunch the series. Seeing as this is recent history, I'm a bit worried that they may not be okay with being shown to look incompetent. But it's also possible that after all of these setbacks with Shenmue that they just can't be bothered with the series anymore.

I guess only time will tell, but personally, I'm optimistic this will be okay.
I should add that SEGA are aware of the project, certainly their community managers anyway and nothing has happened yet. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Shenmue is very much a community driven IP so shutting it down would really piss a tonne of people off. Given they're not shipping anything that isn't community made/the mod is free and requires you to own the PC version I suspect this would be OK.

Favourite title
Shenmue IIx
What would the chances of character swaps be, like having the shenmue 3 characters models in 1-2. i know it would be wierd but they are both in unreal engine so would it be possible
Funny I would like to have the old characters in part 3, especially Shenhua.
;)

I should add that SEGA are aware of the project, certainly their community managers anyway and nothing has happened yet. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
As long as you do not use their original assets or copy and paste code blocks you should be fine anyway.
But sure, even with modded original assets they probably wont do anything against it, cause projects like this keeps Shenmue alive and maybe it will bring new fans to Shenmue.

Last edited:

Sergeynest

Keep your Mind as clear as a Polished Mirror.
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
GUJIAN 3
The team posted a sneak peek of Phoenix Edition's 'Catching Leaves' recomposition (compared to the original). Needless to say, it sounds amazing!

Both version are great. It looks like that in the new arrangement they used the chinese flute and the Erhu wich ends up giving a more classical feeling that suits very well the martial arts philosophy of the curscene.

JCJ

Favourite title
Shenmue II
The team posted a sneak peek of Phoenix Edition's 'Catching Leaves' recomposition (compared to the original). Needless to say, it sounds amazing!

The new version sounds really great! Different enough (to be in the Phoenix edition) but also faithful to the original.

(The lowering of the pitch in the new version doesn't make it any favours when compared side by side to the original one. But hearing it in isolation the problem disappears)

At first when I heard first section of remixed version I too was sceptical but the way they incorporated the Chinese flute and the Erhu as earlier comment said, it was faithful but still powerful.

That whole scene is amazing by the way. It’s one of those rare times a game was able to accurately mirror feelings of me as player and protagonist on screen. Being an impatient 15 years old, I wanted to be done airing out the books at the temple and track down Lan Di. I wanted immediate access to Wulinshu so I can proceed with my next clue and now Xuixing was halting my progress and making me catch leaves. I was frustrated and just spammed my way to catching a single leave and yet I was expected to catch three in a row. Countless times I got up to two but would fail at the final hurdle. Angry, annoyed and cursing the game I took a deep breath, steadied my hands and let the music wash over me. Those things make Shenmue so special.

BruceWayne911

Upper Knuckle (⬅️ ⬅️ 🤜)
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Secret of Monkey Island & Phoenix Wright Trials & Tribulations
At first when I heard first section of remixed version I too was sceptical but the way they incorporated the Chinese flute and the Erhu as earlier comment said, it was faithful but still powerful.

That whole scene is amazing by the way. It’s one of those rare times a game was able to accurately mirror feelings of me as player and protagonist on screen. Being an impatient 15 years old, I wanted to be done airing out the books at the temple and track down Lan Di. I wanted immediate access to Wulinshu so I can proceed with my next clue and now Xuixing was halting my progress and making me catch leaves. I was frustrated and just spammed my way to catching a single leave and yet I was expected to catch three in a row. Countless times I got up to two but would fail at the final hurdle. Angry, annoyed and cursing the game I took a deep breath, steadied my hands and let the music wash over me. Those things make Shenmue so special.
100% agreed, my mind felt as clear as a polished mirror.

24Nathan

I like it. For the Phoenix edition. Any plans to use the official soundtrack versions for anything? Like the Guilin tracks from the I & II soundtrack, or the III soundtrack, for something like the South Carmain Qr. which plays during Sun's training, I believe?

JCJ

Favourite title
Shenmue II
I like it. For the Phoenix edition. Any plans to use the official soundtrack versions for anything? Like the Guilin tracks from the I & II soundtrack, or the III soundtrack, for something like the South Carmain Qr. which plays during Sun's training, I believe?
I suppose that, for legal reasons, they can't include assets that are not among the Shenmue I&II files, or are not original creations by the team...

...unless they pick them from the files of an existing Shenmue III installation, of course. Making this the ultimate modular game (eat that Sonic 3 & Knuckles! LOL).

Jibby

🍇
Site Staff
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Beat Saber
This was posted in the Discord group yesterday evening. I think it's looking great so far!

unknown.png