Shenmue Dragon And Phoenix Collection

Will there be any chance of seeing the Shenmue Passport features return with this project?
Can't really say yes or no. It's something we've been discussing as to what that would even look like in 2021. The very concept of the Passport disc is a bit outdated in terms of game design, and most of the "extra content" (like the scenes with Mark and Xiuying and whatnot) may not be completely accurate anymore, just as a result of changes to gameplay necessitated by UE4. Most of the other network-connected features of the Passport disc like leaderboards could also theoretically be implemented in-gameplay, but this also has its own drawbacks such as requiring some sort of server/network code, even if it's all just straight p2p, which just makes things more complex. This is one of those things that we've discussed, and will continue to discuss, but will only really be decided on towards the end of development.

Favourite title
What's Shenmue
Currently playing
Shenmue 3
I feel like a pawnshop in the Dobuita bar district will cover the most useful/relevant Passport feature of toy trading

Reactions: JCJ
It may not be neccesarily "relevant" or "modern" but I think it has unique Shenmue style charm. I hope it can be preserved, nothing against Suka Pass but I want to interact with it using its original purpose. Just my opinion.

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
shenmue 3 and shenmue 1 2 hd ps4
gambling in shenmue 2 should be in shenmue 1 if that possible, just simple way to make cash

the_phoenix_mirror

10 years early.
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Daytona USA Iraq version
I don't know if anyone has said this yet but the first post said that the phoenix version will have the stamina system like in III but different. What are the differences in the phoenix version compared to III when it comes to the stamina system?

So, first off, I want to preface this by saying that this is all still a plan, and hasn't been implemented yet, so please, let us know how you feel about it.

Alright, the basic idea is that you'll have a stamina gauge of some sort, that will slowly decrease throughout the day, not unlike Shenmue III, but not tied to your movement or your HP. This gauge actually affects when you go home at the end of the night, within a 2 hour window. So if you don't eat throughout the day, Ryo will be famished/tired by 9PM, and will go home then (aside from nights where the story dictates you be out late, of course), and different foods restore different amounts of the meter. So if you've only eaten a few things, and you've got like 25% of the stamina gauge left, Ryo will go home around like 9:30, and if you have like 50%, he'll go home around 10:00, and so on and so forth. It's a simple system, but as I see it, it adds incentive to eat, while being minimally intrusive. It also allows us to really flesh out the food establishments, and even gives a use to things such as chocolate and potato chips beyond giving you a drawing in the raffle at the Tomato Store.

Currently playing
Pokemon GO, Yandere Simulator, SCUM (the latter two are coming up - need a better comp)
@Dewey When it comes to the stamina system and eating and drinking, how about adding a buff system as well? Almost every Action-Adventure and RPG/JRPG nowadays has one, such as Final Fantasy(XV and remakes) and Yakuza. There should be a wide range of different dining and grocery establishments as well as vendors and vending machines that will sell Ryo numerous different items and dishes that should be sorted into categories.
For example: protein-based foods, such as steaks, sausages and ramen soups should give Ryo a strength boost, allowing him to pack a punch and get him out of a major fight faster. Dairy-based foods could boost his defense, as he could be sturdier in build and take less damage. Sugary snacks and caffeinated drinks could help him stay awake longer and move faster in fights and also allow us to progress into story longer without having Ryo to return back to his dojo.
Other than that, may I ask you, what exactly has been going on with the development? I haven't been around at the forums because of work and some personal issues, although I did see some interviews with the original voice cast and the April Fools joke.

Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Phantasy Star Online 2
I'm basically more pumped about this project than I am about Shenmue 3 & 4.
Is that weird?
I don't think it's weird, I feel the same way, especially when we don't know if Shenmue 4 will ever be a thing. This gives me something Shenmue related to look forward to.

This may sound like an odd question to the folks involved in this project but by sheer coincidence I was rewatching NoconKid’s UE remaster footage. I believe most of it was produced in 2014/2015. I am curious has that informed you guys at all in your approach? I figure since this is reverse engineering it from DC originals it probably hasn’t but I’m curious nonetheless.

OP
OP
LemonHaze

LemonHaze

Server Admin
Administrator
This may sound like an odd question to the folks involved in this project but by sheer coincidence I was rewatching NoconKid’s UE remaster footage. I believe most of it was produced in 2014/2015. I am curious has that informed you guys at all in your approach? I figure since this is reverse engineering it from DC originals it probably hasn’t but I’m curious nonetheless.

Noconkid stated in his interview that he initially tried to rip the models, but in the end had a lot of problems, so he resorted to making the map from scratch. It's important to note, since this was 2014/2015, there wasn't even an accurate model exporter and the community was mainly using a 3D ripper (which for all intents and purposes is completely different; one will export models accurately and another will rip the 3D geometry data directly from the GPU (this is why this method is a bit unpredictable, or rather can result in models which aren't entirely accurate))

Some textures are reused from the originals in his footage, however the best part of what is contained within the video is purely geometric changes combined with newer materials (which sometimes use the original textures from the game).

The approach I decided to go for will be explained hopefully in a dev log post very soon as I'm just writing up some of the details for it now.

Last edited:
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Strider (2014)
While I think Virtua Bros did a good job of exposing this project to the masses, I think it would be best if we get someone on social media with a lot more reach like Digital Foundry to report on this project.