spud1897

Administrator
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Destiny 2, Shenmue HD ;)
PSN
spud19870
Add in the backlash from the community and I would be hopeful that Sega will let this roll on.

Shenmue is massively community driven and Sega would risk that with a C&D

Tentei

ライトニング
Favourite title
Shenmue II
PSN
miraigaara
Add in the backlash from the community and I would be hopeful that Sega will let this roll on.

Shenmue is massively community driven and Sega would risk that with a C&D
exactly. even extending to all of us possibly boycotting Sega products. Being one backlash. Because I'd never purchase another Sega IP or product ever again if they did that. But, I also like to think Sega is alot smarter than that.

I have got any talent but I can spare a few quid. Hopefully Sega pick this up, similar to what they did with Sonic Mania. Yes, a complete remake with additional story content would be amazing, but Shenmue is such a good game a simple reskin would see be indefinitely satisfied.

Currently playing
Pokemon GO, Yandere Simulator, SCUM (the latter two are coming up - need a better comp)
This is all a little strange. Didn't Sega hand the Shenmue IP over to YS Net after Suzuki san left them? Then again, I did see numerous cameos of Ryo in many of the newer Sega games, can't remember exactly which ones and in how many, but that could prove, that either Sega hasn't forgotten about the Shenmue franchise and its fans, or that it could simply be a licensed cameo.
If you ask me, I don't think Sega would stamp a cease and desist on this super ambitious project. Firstly, @LemonHaze, @Jibby and others involved in the project, even if some of them were only behind the scenes, never said that they would distribute the mod for cash and microtransactions. The project materialized for the love of the franchise and even more because of the ever-growing fanbase. Secondly, IGN picked up the news only a few days after the mod's announcement. The video game media giant became bewitched over the determination of the franchise's fanbase of pulling off something as ambitious as the D&P Collection. Thirdly, as one of the younger Shenmue fans, I feel greatly tempted and currently just cannot wait for further updates. If it would be possible to donate some moolah to the project, then I'd gladly do it.
Last but not least, I wonder what the "drama Youtubers" would think about it. I'm talking about Super Eyepatch Wolf and of course Jimquisition and Videogamedunkey.
Yes, it looks like Shenmue is the kind of franchise that'll never die, here's looking at you guys, peace out.

24Nathan

This is all a little strange. Didn't Sega hand the Shenmue IP over to YS Net after Suzuki san left them? Then again, I did see numerous cameos of Ryo in many of the newer Sega games, can't remember exactly which ones and in how many, but that could prove, that either Sega hasn't forgotten about the Shenmue franchise and its fans, or that it could simply be a licensed cameo.
If you ask me, I don't think Sega would stamp a cease and desist on this super ambitious project. Firstly, @LemonHaze, @Jibby and others involved in the project, even if some of them were only behind the scenes, never said that they would distribute the mod for cash and microtransactions. The project materialized for the love of the franchise and even more because of the ever-growing fanbase. Secondly, IGN picked up the news only a few days after the mod's announcement. The video game media giant became bewitched over the determination of the franchise's fanbase of pulling off something as ambitious as the D&P Collection. Thirdly, as one of the younger Shenmue fans, I feel greatly tempted and currently just cannot wait for further updates. If it would be possible to donate some moolah to the project, then I'd gladly do it.
Last but not least, I wonder what the "drama Youtubers" would think about it. I'm talking about Super Eyepatch Wolf and of course Jimquisition and Videogamedunkey.
Yes, it looks like Shenmue is the kind of franchise that'll never die, here's looking at you guys, peace out.
I don't consider dunkey a "drama YouTuber" at all. In fact, while I think the other two are utter useless trash, the only thing I didn't like in dunkey's Shenmue videos are when he said the waiting around in Shenmue I was "dogshit game design", but even then, there's valid criticism that people can have of it.

SEGA gave Yu the license to make Shenmue III, they do and likely always will own the IP. They know it's a cash cow for things like a soundtrack or merch.

Jibby

🍇
Site Staff
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Beat Saber
Yeah, definitely agree on Dunkey. I actually really liked his Shenmue I review despite it leaning negative. If you've only ever watched his Shenmue videos, it's easy to get the impression that he's being harsh, but that's just his comedic style, even with games he enjoys.

24Nathan

Yeah, definitely agree on Dunkey. I actually really liked his Shenmue I review despite it leaning negative. If you've only ever watched his Shenmue videos, it's easy to get the impression that he's being harsh, but that's just his comedic style, even with games he enjoys.
I watch his regular stuff as yeah he is very comedy oriented. He uses a lot of Shenmue music and references, and some of his very earliest videos are a playthrough of IIx. So early that they can't be found on his channel.

Currently playing
Pokemon GO, Yandere Simulator, SCUM (the latter two are coming up - need a better comp)
@24Nathan Thanks for clearing some things up about the drama Youtubers. To be perfectly honest, I thoroughly avoid watching anything drama-related on Youtube. But now that I know that Dunkey is basically the "innocent one" among the bunch, I feel a little tempted to go and watch his content. May it be harsh or not.

24Nathan

@24Nathan Thanks for clearing some things up about the drama Youtubers. To be perfectly honest, I thoroughly avoid watching anything drama-related on Youtube. But now that I know that Dunkey is basically the "innocent one" among the bunch, I feel a little tempted to go and watch his content. May it be harsh or not.
I find him hilarious and a million steps above most "content creators", most of which irritate me to no end.

Currently playing
Yep. Above all, his Shenmue videos have been viewed by several million people, WAY more than Super Eyepatch Wolf and Jimquisition combined.
When talking about Jim Sterling, he's the kind of guy who hates everything the majority of people find critically acclaimed. He gave The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild a mixed review simply because of the weapon durability system, which was a major feature for a Nintendo franchise. He completely trashed the Pokemon Sword and Shield games because of the lack of the NationalDex and when it comes to Shenmue games: I'm at loss for words. He compared them to a "pile of fucking steaming human shit". Why? Here's why in his opinion: "There is absolutely fuck-all stuff to do. You have to wait for some establishments to open at certain hours, the characters look and sound boring, and the whole concept of the franchise is compared to a crappy low-budget Waterworld-esque Hollywood movie, blah, blah, blah, dreadful game, do not buy".
Well fucking newsflash for you Sterling: we as a fanbase feel the complete opposite: the graphics of the games are amazing, the morality of the main character is heartwarming, the scheduled events add immersion to the franchise, there are minigames to blow off some steam and the franchise pioneered and introduced the QTE into the gaming world.
But yeah, just like I said, listening to Youtube drama only makes things worse for everyone, unless that's your thing.

Tentei

ライトニング
Favourite title
Shenmue II
PSN
miraigaara
The wait is pretty intense. I wanna see how it looks and plays like last week. haha.

Currently playing
The wait is pretty intense. I wanna see how it looks and plays like last week. haha.
That makes two of us, thank you for changing the subject Tentei. Can't wait to start searching for some sailors UE4 style and get every one of those cute capsule toys.

I don't consider dunkey a "drama YouTuber" at all. In fact, while I think the other two are utter useless trash, the only thing I didn't like in dunkey's Shenmue videos are when he said the waiting around in Shenmue I was "dogshit game design", but even then, there's valid criticism that people can have of it.

SEGA gave Yu the license to make Shenmue III, they do and likely always will own the IP. They know it's a cash cow for things like a soundtrack or merch.
Also, Sega allowed other developers to make Streets of Rage IV and the Panzer Dragoon Remake.
They also allowed fans to make official remasters of Sonic CD, 1 and 2, and said fans to make Sonic Mania, which was an officially-licensed fangame.
Sega is pretty cool with the fandom, except for taking down Streets of Rage Remake, that still stings to this day, and not greenlighting Christian Whitehead's Sonic 3 & Knuckles remaster.

I'm guessing Sega didn't want any more bad publicity from taking down SoR Remake so they are doing things like this to appeal to their fanbase.

I do really hope S3&K gets the 1-2-CD treatment eventually or just all the staged remade for Mania 2; was my favorite of the Genesis series. Mania's fantastic, but i do wish for an all out Sonic 3 remaster with new music to avoid the licensing.
The "new" music already exists on the prototype and the Windows 95 PC port.
They could remaster the music from either the prototype (similar to how they remastered 1 and 2's soundtracks to CD-quality while keeping the same instruments) or just tweak the PC MIDI soundtracks (like changing the questionable instruments in Hydrocity Zone Act 2 in particular) to make them better.
The MIDI soundtracks sound great with the right soundfonts, it makes Sonic 3 & Knuckles sound like a PS1 game.

Currently playing
The "new" music already exists on the prototype and the Windows 95 PC port.
They could remaster the music from either the prototype (similar to how they remastered 1 and 2's soundtracks to CD-quality while keeping the same instruments) or just tweak the PC MIDI soundtracks (like changing the questionable instruments in Hydrocity Zone Act 2 in particular) to make them better.
The MIDI soundtracks sound great with the right soundfonts, it makes Sonic 3 & Knuckles sound like a PS1 game.
Did you know, that Michael Jackson allegedly composed parts of the S3&K soundtrack? After his hit SEGA Moonwalker games back in the late 80s and beginning of the 90s, MJ grew very fond of the company and the Sonic franchise and even decided he will help compose soundtracks for future games. The information about him working at SEGA is very vague and some details are conflicting, but you can check the Wikipedia page and Google some pictures about him being there.

Truck_1_0_1_

I Don't Know, but I Have You!
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Lost Judgment (PS4)
PSN
Truck_1_0_1_
Steam
Truck_1_0_1_
Did you know, that Michael Jackson allegedly composed parts of the S3&K soundtrack? After his hit SEGA Moonwalker games back in the late 80s and beginning of the 90s, MJ grew very fond of the company and the Sonic franchise and even decided he will help compose soundtracks for future games. The information about him working at SEGA is very vague and some details are conflicting, but you can check the Wikipedia page and Google some pictures about him being there.

He did.

Ice Cap is one of his. No one has proved it, but the similarities to his actual stuff... yeah, his fingerprints are all over that game.