Shenmue Dragon And Phoenix Collection

B-Man

Did you know, that Michael Jackson allegedly composed parts of the S3&K soundtrack? After his hit SEGA Moonwalker games back in the late 80s and beginning of the 90s, MJ grew very fond of the company and the Sonic franchise and even decided he will help compose soundtracks for future games. The information about him working at SEGA is very vague and some details are conflicting, but you can check the Wikipedia page and Google some pictures about him being there.
And of course "Space Michael" would appear in the Space Channel 5 series as well.

Sonoshee

Site Staff
Favourite title
Shenmue
Sega haven't done much for the franchise, if I'm honest.
True, they put out ports of the first two games and let Yu make the third, but that's it.
Anything they could easily make money out of without any real effort, like the soundtrack/vinyl releases.

As long as there's no monetary gain from this project, I don't see why Sega shouldn't just shrug their shoulders and move on or give it their blessing, if anything.

A C&D after how they've treated the franchise over the years wouldn't be a smart move. The community isn't hurting them or anyone else with this project.

Major kudo's to @LemonHaze and his team for their tireless work!

It's a shame that quality fan projects like this one aren't usually recognized by smart companies for the blessing they are.
You've got talented people essentially doing great work for free.

Can you imagine if Sega were to just hire this team in some official capacity to finish the job that D3T bungled in the first place? Everyone would win, and the fandom would be elated.

Hell, they could even do a separate release altogether, and it wouldn't matter; Shenmue fans would gladly purchase it.

He did.

Ice Cap is one of his. No one has proved it, but the similarities to his actual stuff... yeah, his fingerprints are all over that game.
His keyboardist Brad Buxer also wrote some of the music, and the music to Ice Cap was actually based off an unreleased song his band made in 1982. But yeah, I believe the music licensing is the main reason Sonic 3&K aren't on any recent compilations or the Sega Genesis Mini, which sucks because I think they're the best Sonic games.

I heard some of the tracks for the PC version, and ehhhhhh. Maybe it's tough to like it because I'm so used the Genesis version. A Sonic Mania version of a few Sonic 3&K levels could be cool, but if there's a licensing issue already I imagine the music would need to be 100% original and not a remix.

24Nathan

Which begs the question...why did S3&K appear in the Mega Collection back in the early 2000s? Were they able to make a deal with MJ? Now that he's dead, is the estate the one playing hardball? Why is it kosher to use his likeness in Space Channel 5: Part 2, but not his music that he is uncredited for in 3&K? Did the Steam, PS3, and 360 releases have the original music or the PC soundtrack?

PSN
sppeac1987
Which begs the question...why did S3&K appear in the Mega Collection back in the early 2000s? Were they able to make a deal with MJ? Now that he's dead, is the estate the one playing hardball? Why is it kosher to use his likeness in Space Channel 5: Part 2, but not his music that he is uncredited for in 3&K? Did the Steam, PS3, and 360 releases have the original music or the PC soundtrack?
The steam, PS3 and 360 releases all had the original music, so it makes the lack of any S3K port since all the more confusing and aggravating. Clearly something has happened since to make the music an issue, but as said they could just use the prototype/PC tracks...

PSN
sppeac1987
The steam, PS3 and 360 releases all had the original music, so it makes the lack of any S3K port since all the more confusing and aggravating. Clearly something has happened since (possibly because of MJ’s death as you say) to make the music an issue, but as said they could just use the prototype/PC tracks...

高野和泉

"SAKURA FESTIVAL!"
I thought Sega distanced themselves cuz of the "Controversy".

24Nathan

Space Michael is very much a character in the now available (has been for years) Steam/360/PS3 release of Space Channel 5: Part 2 in the Dreamcast Collection. I guess it could be some weird contractual thing where the music costa more to use than his likeness, but come on....just do it.

PSN
danmann861
Steam
danielmann861
In that video, I noticed they mentioned there were Saturn UI elements of Shenmue Saturn in the source code? I did hear that correct, didn't I? Man I'd like to see some of that stuff if so...or has that stuff already been posted somewhere on the forums? I'm just fascinated by Shenmue Saturn in general and always want to see as much as I can from it. Or as much as there humanly exists.

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Shenmue
I really appreciate the effort being made by the people working on this. We are fortunate to have technically talented people amongst us who can make projects like this a reality.

The commitment to the series from the community never ceases to amaze me!

There is always something happening that keeps this forum current, relevant and full of hope for more Shenmue content to look forward to.

Moving on, a dream of mine has always been to play the original Shenmue games fully in VR. Due to the immersion the games provide I think they are set up perfectly for VR. Obviously this is unlikely but seeing great projects like this gives me hope that one day this may become a reality.

Maybe this stems from a dream I had as a child in which I visited Dobuita. The original game engrossed me like no other.

Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Strider (2014)
I don't know what touches me more, this project or the insatiable passion of the Shenmue fandom. I swear the love people have for this franchise is unreal. I am truly humbled by this project and honored to be a part of this fanbase. Thank you so much for this and I wish you nothing but the best. I will support this project the best I can.