Shenmue fan experiment in Unity3D

wavemaster007

Pharotek!
Greetings all,

I'm new to the forums but been a fan for awhile. I am currently learning some Unity3D and wondering about the feasability of porting Shenmue to it? Not the whole game, but maybe some mechanics with changed gameplay? Would this be feasable? How would you go about exporting all the textures for examples?

There was on this forum a tool that converted the shenmue models in the game folder directly to the unity project, it was on github and worked pretty much straight out of the box.

There was on this forum a tool that converted the shenmue models in the game folder directly to the unity project, it was on github and worked pretty much straight out of the box.

It's not complete at all. Also the character rigs do not work properly and there is no (Shenmue) animation support.

I remember when I used it that it automatically supported the unity humanoid rig, but I might be mistaken, it's been a while.
That's pretty cool the port to UE4.

I remember when I used it that it automatically supported the unity humanoid rig, but I might be mistaken, it's been a while.
That's pretty cool the port to UE4.

Kinda.

Fishbiters implementation wasn't complete at all and ShenmueDK incorporates all of the research we currently have on all of the formats. The Unity rig is just a basic rig, the actual Shenmue models have their own rigs, which of course are used by the Shenmue animations. We have the original Shenmue rigs now, and we're in the process of finishing up the first animation exporter.

The port is bigger than Shenmunity, however and is more focused on OPs requests. ;)

I don't mean to clutter up, but I can't find anything online that answers my pondering.

When doing a conversion of this, is it a straight code to code transition, ie you take the code from the actual game and then manually write out all the code into whichever version you wish to create or are there conversion tools/applications that allow you to paste and do a direct translation of code?

If the former, you guys are to be commended and beyond.

I don't mean to clutter up, but I can't find anything online that answers my pondering.

When doing a conversion of this, is it a straight code to code transition, ie you take the code from the actual game and then manually write out all the code into whichever version you wish to create or are there conversion tools/applications that allow you to paste and do a direct translation of code?

If the former, you guys are to be commended and beyond.

The project hasn't really been shown yet outside of private circles, but that will change soon. I have only really alluded to the existence of the project until now.

The main importing stuff is complete and has been for some time now. That stuff is achieved by locating the code in the executable of the game which is responsible for reading models and textures and the like and then quite literally reversing that process (hence reverse engineering) to then be able to use the models as seen fit.

I won't go into too much detail right now, but the main plan is to reimplement everything, from scratch, into UE4 and then provide the community with the tools and data to make whatever they want.. and more :sneaky:

More details will emerge soon, though.

Greetings all,

I'm new to the forums but been a fan for awhile. I am currently learning some Unity3D and wondering about the feasability of porting Shenmue to it? Not the whole game, but maybe some mechanics with changed gameplay? Would this be feasable? How would you go about exporting all the textures for examples?
yes it is possible im an unity3D dev if you need help with something ask me

Back