Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Shenmue
XBL
DuckProgrammer
So I saw this posted on another forum, from Edge Magazine issue 73 (July 1999):

Slighted Shenmue still simmering

Japan: Although, as a project, Shenmue's progress has been difficult to assess (the game put in a generally strong appearance at the Tokyo Game Show, but visitors viewing it at E3 were distinctly unimpressed), Sega is maintaining momentum on its much-anticipated title in Japan. The company's latest promotional concept was Shenmue Forest, held during the Network Jungle 2 Digital Island convention, in which Sega created a real-life Shenmue environment, mixing banks of video screens with trees, mist, and paintings of the game's characters. Yu Suzuki was also on hand to explain his vision.

Various challenges were set up for the public, including a Free Time event, which involved clearing a stage of 50 opponents within two minutes, and three Quick Time events. The first of these highlighted a battle with seven enemies in a warehouse, the second an encounter with a drunk that also ended in a fight, and the last a training event in which Ryo is taught a high-kick move from a breakdancer called Tom.

Elsewhere in the forest, the Shenmue shop was bulging with game merchandise, including T-shirts and the Shenmue Orchestra album, even though the first game disc isn't released until August 5. But it's clear that Sega cannot afford to let the game slip any more. Small wonder that the entire AM2 department has been mobilised to get it finished on time. Fifty-one days and counting...

Does anyone have any more information on this?

Aha, good to know it's not new - would be crazy to think there was no coverage of this.

I know. The only thing that bugs me is the size of the images, since that's what we had to deal with back in 2000. I wish we had full size versions of stuff like this, but god knows what vault they are locked up in, or on what hard drive they are buried on across the world. If they even exist at all.

Back