Shenmue Forklift Race Rage

Hey guys anyone else have difficulty coming in 1st place on the forklift race or is it just me? I don't like racing games and when I pay games that have a mandatory racing mission I usually hate it. I know that this is more "for fun" or to get the collectibles but I wanted to complete it for the achievement. I finally got it after many fruitless angered attempts. Anyone else have difficulty with it? Chime in!

I had a bit of difficulty overtaking 1st place, one little feature I found handy was lifting the forklift upwards so it doesn't snag on anything on the ground. Also Just outside Warehouse No.8, there is a little shortcut you can take by going between the box and support bar - All the oppopents seem to take a wider trek around this.

I had a bit of difficulty overtaking 1st place, one little feature I found handy was lifting the forklift upwards so it doesn't snag on anything on the ground. Also Just outside Warehouse No.8, there is a little shortcut you can take by going between the box and support bar - All the oppopents seem to take a wider trek around this.
I didn't think about the lifting the forklift that may have helped on a few of my failed attempts but yes you're right about the shortcut I realized that early on and it made a huge difference it was the only way I could get an edge in front of #1. That guy NEVER makes a mistake and makes those sharp turns flawlessly damn it was annoying to beat him lol. Must have taken me 15-20 tries.

Don't be scared to take your foot off the accelerator/use the break around corners. Try not to overtake on inside corners as there's a good chance you'll get barged into the corner and stuck. Use the cut through on the second to last corner. It doesn't matter if you're not first after the first lap - you still have plenty of time to win.

Oh, and although your acceleration is the slowest out of all of the forklifts at the start of the race, you have the fastest forklift, so make use of the long straight!

Don't be scared to take your foot off the accelerator/use the break around corners. Try not to overtake on inside corners as there's a good chance you'll get barged into the corner and stuck. Use the cut through on the second to last corner. It doesn't matter if you're not first after the first lap - you still have plenty of time to win.
You're absolutely right! It took me many tries to come in first but when I finally did I didn't get into first place until near the end of lap 2. That last lap I was at the edge of my seat the whole time holding my breath I wouldn't accidentally bump into a corner lol.

You're absolutely right! It took me many tries to come in first but when I finally did I didn't get into first place until near the end of lap 2. That last lap I was at the edge of my seat the whole time holding my breath I wouldn't accidentally bump into a corner lol.

Once you're past the no. 1 forklift, it's easy because you've got the fastest forklift. You can take the corners relatively cautiouslly and still win comfortably.

Lifting the forklift upwards doesn't change your hitbox - you still get snagged on all the same things.

If you want to beat the race as quickly as possible, you're looking to overtake 4 and 3 as soon as you can (i.e. just drive past them); 2 you'll have to pass on the left as he goes past Alpha Trading Office, and 1 you'll have to pass on the right on the home straight and first corner.

I came in 1st place in my first try. Im having trouble beating Chai in the Arcade I spend like an hour and couldn't defeat him.

Here’s a trick: On the last turn of a lap, cut through it from the left side of the middle pole.

Edit: Just Incase you didn’t get what I meant

D4_E3_C15_B_7_EEF_4067_9_F56_552852476_ECB.png

Last edited:
The controls in the rerelease currently make it a little harder to go around corners.
It seems that the team just took some original assets and swapped the left and right stick, because they act the wrong way around pretty much everywhere. Already wrote reports for the various situations it happens in.

For the forklift the left analog stick acts as a duplicate of the d-pad. Only the right stick does what the stick on the DC did.
Turning is more incremental with the copied d-pad controls but that makes turning noticeably slower. It's even worse on the self centering, that snaps back immediately with the correct analog control, or the right analog stick here now.

What's wrong with the controls in the re-release? Forklift driving feels the same to me.

Keep the accelerator held down, don't use break or take your finger off the accelerator. Turning left and right is timing based, once you work out the right time to hold down the direction, it's easy. And honestly the d-pad is better and gives you more control.

Piece of cake.

The controls in the rerelease currently make it a little harder to go around corners.
It seems that the team just took some original assets and swapped the left and right stick, because they act the wrong way around pretty much everywhere. Already wrote reports for the various situations it happens in.

For the forklift the left analog stick acts as a duplicate of the d-pad. Only the right stick does what the stick on the DC did.
Turning is more incremental with the copied d-pad controls but that makes turning noticeably slower. It's even worse on the self centering, that snaps back immediately with the correct analog control, or the right analog stick here now.
I didn't notice any difference in the race controls?

There's some weird shit going on with forklifts while working but I didn't have any trouble with the racing.

I've always used the d-pad for controlling everything though.

Managed to win the first place price on my first try. I didnt feel any difference to the old control. Only annoying part I found while racing was how the npcs have only one line they are driving and while you try to overtake, they tend to push you to a walls and corners.

I have done five in a row first place runs before, but the problem is that you need to get an early lead before the third lap or else you'll almost never get past 2nd place. It is already bad enough that the other racers get in your way. Operating the forklift comparing to other racing games is rather easy. The obstacles are the problem.

Not had a single issue with the forklift racing; it feels exactly the same as it did in the original version. I could have finished first place in each race easily, but I'm going for the prize set, so I'm engineering my finishing positions.

Back