Shenmue Gaiden: Christmas Re-Release

ShenSun

Site Staff
Greetings Community,

Today, i bring you a re-release of Shenmue Gaiden: A Christmas Story. This game was released a year ago but went under the radar due to it not meeting its original deadline. The Dojo was very quiet back then.

This is a visual novel game and features a full 2 hour adventure where you help Santa, Ryo and all of his friends save Christmas from the menacing Scrooge

yiLhJv8.png

cVIzoEH.png

C09EMTd.jpg

The festive season is finally upon us and you've been invited to spend the next four days in Dobuita at Hazuki residence. This enjoyment doesn't last long however as Christmas is thrown into complete chaos. Scrooge is back and is now in possession of two important Shenmue items. He also has an army of fighters at his disposal. It's up to you and Santa to recruit a team of capable individuals to confront Scrooge and save Christmas once and for all.

A new threat lurks in the shadows and is said to be the strongest fighter of them all.

RtczTxs.jpg

This 3rd threat will pester you for the entire game and is determined to destroy Christmas.

In this game, YOU are the player. Once you arrive in Dobuita, the game will ask you to enter your name. From that point on, all NPCS and character will refer to you by your actual name.

CIMiEVp.png

I strongly recommend you enter your proper name here or whatever nickname you like to be called in real life. By doing so, the game will feel much more personal as you interact with the characters and progress through the story.

P2uIdnE.png

Dynamic Choices

This game has around 80% choice variation in its responses from NPC. That means you can play through the game entirely as a nice guy or bad guy or somewhere in between. This should hopefully spice things up and make replay ability more enjoyable.

chJzrId.jpg

The game also features Toy Capsule machines, access to the Yokosuka Harbour and access to a limit number of stores.

Toy Capsule Machines

EF0HV2K.jpg

Lapis Fortune Teller

UB0FhnH.jpg

Tomato Store

CGV1ixb.jpg

ii8cqnu.png

-- The game is played by simply clicking the mouse on the screen once a character finishes speaking

-- Choose from the various choices to affect the game's direction.

-- Left click continues

-- Right click opens up the option menu

--- Play in fullscreen for desired effect

yXgGrxz.jpg

4MBqfkm.png

1) First install the Arlrdbd font. Download here http://www.fontsupply.com/fonts/A/Arlrdbd.html

Unzip font

Windows XP Font Install:

Drag arlrdbd.ttf into C:\Windows\Fonts - The font will automatically install.

Windows 7/Vista/Windows 10 Font Install:

Right click arlrdbd.ttf and then click "Install".

2) Download the game using the link below.

3) Extract file and open the main file (.exe file)

4) Enjoy

BJMl07R.jpg

Bugs / Issues

Sound Issues - At certain points of the game, the sound will lower or get higher. If this happens, raise the volume on your speaker or adjust the sound in the options menu (right click). Tends to happen on the 4th day.

Menus - Some menu buttons are not functioning as they should. Will be updated at a later date.

I've managed to find good consistent results with the game using the following settings.

6EoXNUK.jpg

Adjust how you see fit.

SCREEN RESOLUTION (VERY IMPORTANT)

This game was created with a screen resolution of 1920 width and 1080 height. The game should look like the following screen shot. If it looks stretch or out of place, you may have to adjust you monitor's screen resolution. You can do this by right clicking on the desktop and pressing screen resolution. (Set resolution to 1920 * 1080)

GOOD RESOLUTION

MHfu0HV.jpg

BAD RESOLUTION

ggS18Eb.jpg

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Do not skip transitions or click at a fast pace due to impatience. The game has a deliberate pace. At some points you may think the game is hanging or taking long to load. If this happens, an event is about to occur. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Also play in full screen.

I also left some save files in the game. Dont load them if you have not already finished the game

If you come across any other issues, please let me know

HT1jObG.jpg

BAAAXNF.png

Here we go people. This is my Christmas present to all of you. I hope you find some joy and fun in this game. I had a blast exploring my imagination and creating it. Here's to a Happy Christmas and an amazing Shenmue new year.

DOWNLOAD

WINDOWS
http://bit.ly/2G7IUd9

MAC
http://bit.ly/2Heg9wv

LINUX
http://bit.ly/2o34t8b

Please note: The game was built on a Windows PC.

Let me know what you think and post any bugs or issues you encounter.

Thanks alot and have a wonderful new year.

fZysttZ.jpg

I remember watching Peter play through this...last xmas then I guess! Awesome game dude :)

Ha, nah this one is a different game. Peter played the first entry which was more of a "What's Shenmue" Type game. This one is a full fledged 2 hour game.

Thank you, other than the HD versions these will go a long way to hold me over until Shenmue 3 :)

Ha, nah this one is a different game. Peter played the first entry which was more of a "What's Shenmue" Type game. This one is a full fledged 2 hour game.
Really, I was sure he did the Xmas game when it came first out aswell as a big xmas special? Hmm...

Really, I was sure he did the Xmas game when it came first out aswell as a big xmas special? Hmm...

Yeah the first one (what's Shenmue type game), not this one. This one relates more to Shenmue 3 and other franchises.

Last edited:
Many thanks to Peter and everyone on the Christmas stream. Hope you all enjoyed Shenmue Gaiden.

The playthrough was very enjoyable in to watch and im glad all the nuance points in the story came across as intended.

The video of the stream is down below. It is hilarious. Enjoy

Such a great game dude! 3 hour playthrough, it's a meaty fan game, and a ton of fun, loved every minute of that stream last night! :)

Thanks mate. It was gonna be longer but two days were cut due to pacing issues.

For some reason I'm getting an error saying it can't find the font, but when I try to install it nothing seems to happen to fix it. Weird...

edit: here's a screenshot showing the font installed and everything...

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Try the following

Method 1:

1) Download the font
2) extract it
3) Right click and press install.
4) Once done, double click on the font and click install on the new window that opens
5) Once that's done, drag the font to the fonts folder on your computer
6) Redownload the game and try to run it.

Method 2:

1) Hit the windows start button. Where it says "search programs and files" type "run" and press enter
2) In the run box paste this "%windir%\fonts" without the speech marks and hit enter
3) Have a look and see if the font is in that folder. If not drag it into this folder
4) Re download and relaunch game

Method 3:

If that doesn't work, try installing the font from other sites

https://www.dafontfree.net/find.php?q=ARLRDBD.TTF

http://www.freefontsdownload.net/find.php?q=ARLRDBD.TTF

https://www.wfonts.com/font/arial-rounded-mt-bold

Install Fonts
Re download and relaunch game

Install Fonts
The thing is the font is already installed. Look at the screenshot posted, that's the window with the fonts. Not sure what the problem is... I'll try it at home maybe I'll have better luck than at work...

Back