Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I found a new bug. I went to the scroll section to change layout for the fighting moves. I want to assign different keys for each attack moves, but it said "Do you want to assign Big Wheel to CTRL". This is the case with every attack moves. I can't change to the keys to the keys I want. It just asks if I went to assign CTRL key for every moves.

This is on the PC version

Platform: PC
Version: Shenmue 1 ONLY
Build Version:
Title: Cannot change the control layout in scroll moves menu. It always asks if I went to assign move to the CTRL key
Category: Attach moves layout change
Priority: High
Reproduction Steps:
  1. Boot game> continue and boot so you are now in-game.
  2. Open the game menu by pressing TAB and to to the the "Scroll" by pressing the E button, where it displays Ryo's Kung Fu moves.
  3. Highlight any attack move, like Elbow Slam, and press enter. It says "Do you want to assign Elbow Slam to CTRL". I want to assign different keys for each attack moves, but it always asks if I want to assign to CTRL". This is the case with every attack moves. I can't change to the keys to the keys I want. It just asks if I went to assign CTRL key for every moves.

Observed Result: It is not possible to change the keyboard layout to my desired keys on my keyboard. It always asks if I want to assign to the CTRL key. It's not asking for any other key.

Expected Result: You should be able set your desired key for attack moves. It should not ask if you want to assign CTRL all the time. It should ask which key I want to assign the moves too.

View attachment 1016

Pretty certain this is intended behaviour. You have one hotkey for the game, and you can choose a move to bind to it on the original game, and this is replicating that behaviour.

Anyone had this issue yet? Saw it posted on Resetera:

This is the exact issue I’ve had as well in many scenes on both Shenmue 1 and 2 and that I mention in my bug report post from before. It’s insanely annoying and makes some scenes and trophies almost impossible or to achieve.

Plus in some cases (mainly the qte arcade games) even pressing the right o or x button ends up being wrong (theory is it might be because I am some others are playing on a Japanese PS4 which has the confirm buttons switched.)

Title: Inverted Camera Settings are Applied Inconsistently
Platform: PS4
Title Version: 1.01
Reproduction rate: 5/5
Category: Controls
Priority: Severe
Observed Result: Setting the "Invert Y Axis" setting to "yes" only affects the right analog stick whereas all first-person camera controls performed with the left analog stick remain completely uninverted.
Expected Result: The "Invert Y Axis" setting should apply to all camera controls.

I noticed this and thought I was going crazy. I was really confused.

So is the game crashing at the save screen after finishing Shenmue 1 a known bug? I've heard people say the save screen didn't load or disappeared, but for me it just full blown crashed? It's frustrating as hell as that end sequence following the last time you can save goes on forever. Plus I suck at fighting Chai and it always takes me several attempts...

Title: Save screen freezes upon completing Shenmue 1 and the credits ending
Title Version: 1.0.1
Reproduction rate: 1/1
Category: Interface
Priority: Severe

Reproduction Steps:

1- Complete Shenmue 1 and wait until the credits end
2- Wait for save screen
3- Try saving

Observed Result: You can't do anything, the controls don't work and the screen is frozen, forcing a hard reset and having to replay the last part of the game
Expected Result: I should be able to save and finish the game!!!

So midway through the charlie qte on the harbor when you're finished on the qte section there is a small bit of the scene where you're chasing him to the back of the warehouse to fight him and his goans all the sudden the skybox turns pitchblack. This last through out the entire fight until u beat him and the next cutscene plays and the skybox reappears.. I thought this was an issue introduced on the re releases, but after doing a little digging it turns out its also on the original Dreamcast version. Lmao
Here is a video of showcasing it. (Running on original Hardware) Time Coded. Its fuzzy but u can tell the skybox turns black few seconds in the time coded section and then reappears when the fight ends and the new cutscene plays.
Yall think d3t is willing to fix legacy glitches?

Last edited:
Title: Cannot kick enemies while applying hammerlock during free battle (Shenmue I only)
Reproduction rate: 25/25
Category: Gameplay
Priority: Low/Medium

Reproduction Steps:

1- Begin any free battle with multiple opponents in Shenmue I
2- Press the throw button to counter an enemy's punch > Ryo will put enemy in a hammerlock
3- Hold down a direction and press the kick button to kick other nearby enemies

Observed Result: Kick will never connect no matter how close the enemy is.
Expected Result: Kick should connect with and knock down any enemy that is close enough to Ryo's leg.

For more information, I already posted about this here.

Last edited:
Title: Weird sound playing over and over on a cutscene.
Title Version: Beta v2
Reproduction rate: 2/2
Category: Sound
Priority:Medium

Observed Result: After you complete the tutorial on the forklift with Mark the scene that follows it where you get paid for the first time has a constant sound fx playing over and over throughout the scene. This continues even when the scene ends and into gameplay. Saving and exiting fixes it but there isn't currently a way to view that scene without the audio problem.
Expected Result: The Sound FX should not play at that scene over and over.

Anyone had this issue yet? Saw it posted on Resetera:

Yes, I've had that, and also, I've had the QTE actually not displaying the full sequence on the display and at times showing a display that looks nothing like what it actually was. On at least 10 occasions I had to just google the old DC guide and use the same button positions without looking - that worked, but the display combinations didn't.

Title: Cannot kick enemies while applying hammerlock during free battle (Shenmue I only)
Reproduction rate: 25/25
Category: Gameplay
Priority: Low/Medium

Reproduction Steps:

1- Begin any free battle with multiple opponents in Shenmue I
2- Press the throw button to counter an enemy's punch > Ryo will put enemy in a hammerlock
3- Hold down a direction and press the kick button to kick other nearby enemies

Observed Result: Kick will never connect no matter how close the enemy is.
Expected Result: Kick should connect with and knock down any enemy that is close enough to Ryo's leg.

For more information, I already posted about this here.

Cannot reproduce, I just tried it and it worked. Incidentally, in the original DC version, this worked the same way. The kick has limited direction, and only works if someone's coming towards you. If you just kick and kick, enemies will back off and thus, the kick won't connect because they don't approach.

So I'd say close as this is as designed, and also, I cannot reproduce on either S1 or S2. Tested this about 20 minutes ago on both, latest patch.

Title: Weird sound playing over and over on a cutscene.
Title Version: Beta v2
Reproduction rate: 2/2
Category: Sound
Priority:Medium

Observed Result: After you complete the tutorial on the forklift with Mark the scene that follows it where you get paid for the first time has a constant sound fx playing over and over throughout the scene. This continues even when the scene ends and into gameplay. Saving and exiting fixes it but there isn't currently a way to view that scene without the audio problem.
Expected Result: The Sound FX should not play at that scene over and over.

I think this was a bug in the DC version too, sorry to say. I remember the boat noise and clicking of forklifts or cranes, whatever it is in the harbour, repeating. I think actually, they're played at a lower volume during the normal BGM, but for some reason, every once in a while, when you quit out of cutscenes, the background music gets skipped, and the volume of the effects is at 100%, so you can hear the clicking and weird background noises.

This also applies to when you're walking home late at night sometimes. I've been able to get it to do this on DC and PS4 when you skip out of something or manage to glitch the night-time cutscene, as a result, you can hear the cat meowing and dog barking sounds at 100% and no BGM when you're in Sakuragaoka.

Think it's a legacy issue but could be wrong :)

Cannot reproduce, I just tried it and it worked. Incidentally, in the original DC version, this worked the same way. The kick has limited direction, and only works if someone's coming towards you. If you just kick and kick, enemies will back off and thus, the kick won't connect because they don't approach.

So I'd say close as this is as designed, and also, I cannot reproduce on either S1 or S2. Tested this about 20 minutes ago on both, latest patch.
Really? On PS4? It works fine for me in Shenmue II, but I can't for the life of me do it in Shenmue I. When I try it on my Dreamcast, however, it works like a charm.

Do shit right or don’t do it at all. I should not have to wait for a fucking month to get this fixed. This is why I have lost interest in gaming this generation, and Sega should have known this was going to bite them in the ass.

I think you need to be somewhat less angry and more understanding. I'm always willing to stick it to companies who are screwing the consumer, but to be completely honest - given how old this game was, and the fact that d3t ported one of the two games from the Dreamcast, and the vast majority of the bugs are minor, and not game-breaking.

It's easy to just jump up and say SEGA has wronged you, but I would daresay you've not experienced any game-breaking bugs, and you're just annoyed that there *are* bugs, which is somewhat naive. I mean, the game at the time of being ported over was over 10 years old, written in all kinds of old tech, and I am amazed that given all that we've got a HD remaster that largely plays the same as the DC, with minor bugs.

Now consider this, d3t has under 50 employees (https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/d3t-ltd#section-overview) - and a number of those are administrative or managerial, so, we're probably talking about a team of less than 20 developers. Now consider this, on the original game there were way more than 50 people who *alone* debugged the game, and maybe a little more who developed it (https://segaretro.org/Shenmue#Production_credits).

I'm not saying you don't have a right to frustration, but I would say perhaps blow your wad on other more deserving frustrations (i.e. The constant delays of Shenmue 3 and scope creep therein) and not on something that, considering what I just put above, is a bloody good job.

If you're reading d3t, good job! Hope you pay your workers fairly ;-)

Reactions: Pat
Really? On PS4? It works fine for me in Shenmue II, but I can't for the life of me do it in Shenmue I. When I try it on my Dreamcast, however, it works like a charm.
Yep, it does seem like the battle system has been altered a little sometimes in S1, there's a bit more of a challenge I think in some battles, and I've noticed when you've got them by the arm, if you let the enemy move towards you then kick, they'll get a boot to the face, but if you kick, they back off, and you don't connect. On DC I think it's a bit less complicated AI, but I could be totally wrong :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back