Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, it does seem like the battle system has been altered a little sometimes in S1, there's a bit more of a challenge I think in some battles, and I've noticed when you've got them by the arm, if you let the enemy move towards you then kick, they'll get a boot to the face, but if you kick, they back off, and you don't connect. On DC I think it's a bit less complicated AI, but I could be totally wrong :D
Interesting. I'll have to try it again later. It does seem like it might be the AI that's changed slightly. Sometimes it actually looks like the enemies are literally dodging out of the way to avoid the kick.

But it was positively different on DC. In that version, if any opponent was anywhere close to where you aimed the kick they would go flying.

I have a lot of different bugs but the most annoying thing for me is that I stuck at the harbor mad angels part.

Warehouse No 18 to No 3 - for 4 days now in a row. Why is that? Does anybody have the same problem? The story doesn't goes on. I'm just have the same day work day over and over again.

What can I do?

I have a lot of different bugs but the most annoying thing for me is that I stuck at the harbor mad angels part.

Warehouse No 18 to No 3 - for 4 days now in a row. Why is that? Does anybody have the same problem? The story doesn't goes on. I'm just have the same day work day over and over again.

What can I do?

What do you mean? I think if you continue doing forklifts, the game repeats some of the forklift routes as generally, it tries to steer you to complete those bits in a set number of days, so by the last day you're doing the most complicated, then it's over.

If you can provide more info (i.e. What your notebook says, or what you're expecting to happen) I would happily help :)

I think you need to be somewhat less angry and more understanding. I'm always willing to stick it to companies who are screwing the consumer, but to be completely honest - given how old this game was, and the fact that d3t ported one of the two games from the Dreamcast, and the vast majority of the bugs are minor, and not game-breaking.

It's easy to just jump up and say SEGA has wronged you, but I would daresay you've not experienced any game-breaking bugs, and you're just annoyed that there *are* bugs, which is somewhat naive. I mean, the game at the time of being ported over was over 10 years old, written in all kinds of old tech, and I am amazed that given all that we've got a HD remaster that largely plays the same as the DC, with minor bugs.

Now consider this, d3t has under 50 employees (https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/d3t-ltd#section-overview) - and a number of those are administrative or managerial, so, we're probably talking about a team of less than 20 developers. Now consider this, on the original game there were way more than 50 people who *alone* debugged the game, and maybe a little more who developed it (https://segaretro.org/Shenmue#Production_credits).

I'm not saying you don't have a right to frustration, but I would say perhaps blow your wad on other more deserving frustrations (i.e. The constant delays of Shenmue 3 and scope creep therein) and not on something that, considering what I just put above, is a bloody good job.

If you're reading d3t, good job! Hope you pay your workers fairly ;-)
But Shenmue 2 was released with distorted music on all platforms while I had to stop playing Shenmue 1 due to the sound constantly cutting out. I can't believe they allowed such a mishap to happen. If we don't complain about this than they won't fix it. It seems now that Sega are the ones to blame for rushing the release but it is important to point out the flaws so they can be corrected and we can finally have the port we have all been waiting for.

Last edited:

What can I do?
You need to follow a different route. This happens in the original as well.

Hope not a new glitch as I want to carry my stuff over. Watched credits then nothing. Gonna do it again and if not guess I don’t transfer my stuff over to 2

I just beat it yesterday and it had a save window pop up. My save file now reads as "Cleared". I also unlocked the 70 man battle at the start screen as a mini game.

PS4 disc version.

Seems to be a known bug. Unfortunately you need to redo the ending again and hope it lets you save this time. (Unless you wanna wait for the patch, which is coming out god knows when, and hope that fixes the problem.)

I just beat it yesterday and it had a save window pop up. My save file now reads as "Cleared". I also unlocked the 70 man battle at the start screen as a mini game.

PS4 disc version.

Xbox here. I let the credits play yesterday and saw it for half a second. Gonna try skipping credits and hope it does it. Otherwise guess nothing transfers.

Going to pop this in the bugs topic. It is known but always worth more reports of it.

PS4 disc version.

This is intended functionality. This is so that you can use your save file on Shenmue 2. It mentions this when you complete the game.

Xbox here. I let the credits play yesterday and saw it for half a second. Gonna try skipping credits and hope it does it. Otherwise guess nothing transfers.

If you're saying "nothing transfers" - Shenmue 2 doesn't transfer over everything in your inventory, just select items and converts your cash into HK$. Are you saying that if you watch the credits, you don't get the option to save or it just flicks on the screen for a second? I've tried this out on my version, it doesn't seem to do this on PS4 when watching the credits.

But Shenmue 2 was released with distorted music on all platforms while I had to stop playing Shenmue 1 due to the sound constantly cutting out. I can't believe they allowed such a mishap to happen. If we don't complain about this than they won't fix it. It seems now that Sega are the ones to blame for rushing the release but it is important to point out the flaws so they can be corrected and we can finally have the port we have all been waiting for.

I can, because for one, the sound sounded that way on the original. They only have the original stuff SEGA gave them, we can't expect that a <50 person company would re-record all of the music to fix a single issue with sound.

But think about what you're saying, which is negative. The entire release is out, and there aren't any game-breaking bugs, which means you can play the vast majority of the game exactly as it was on the Dreamcast and Xbox. So about 98% of the game is fine, but you're fixated on 2% of the game, and saying it's so bad that SEGA should be ashamed, or that it's worth getting so upset about. It isn't.

I reiterate that, given the time and resources, d3t did a great job, and SEGA did the right thing to release the game with a few bugs in it (like EVERY game has), and d3t have been responsive, courteous and prompt in releasing patches and communicating with fans. They even created a dedicated team for writing patches for Shenmue.

So what I'm saying is, you're not even a glass half full kind of person, you're a person who gets a 98% full glass and complains 2% of it is missing. Learn to be thankful for what you do have :)

Just wondering if it's a bug with DC version too, but I've noticed that the raffle box in dobuita tomato moves across the counter when ryo needs to draw a ticket. Can he not use his left hand or something :p

If you're saying "nothing transfers" - Shenmue 2 doesn't transfer over everything in your inventory, just select items and converts your cash into HK$. Are you saying that if you watch the credits, you don't get the option to save or it just flicks on the screen for a second? I've tried this out on my version, it doesn't seem to do this on PS4 when watching the credits.
Yes after the end credit a bug can happen where it skips you being able to make the final save I had to replay the ending twice since the first time it skipped and I'm on PS4. I've heard other people redoing the ending several times because it just auto boots them out the final save screen. (Some even gave up)
Also your moves transfer over to Shenmue 2 if you maxed them IIRC they start a little bossted in Shenmue 2. You also unlock the real weather feature in Shenmue 1 with a clear save and the option to do the 70 man battle time trial. But weirdly you can load any save for this once you have a cleared one in doing that trial, not sure if that's a bug or you could do it in the old DC games. Also if you load a old save at first it will show you yokohama weather options in menu. But if you quit to title you lose them and the 70man battle option unless you do a full game shutdown and reload. I haven' tested if this happens if you start a new game after having a cleared one and use that save if it reverts.

I can, because for one, the sound sounded that way on the original. They only have the original stuff SEGA gave them, we can't expect that a <50 person company would re-record all of the music to fix a single issue with sound.
It is more then a single issue regarding sound, why you might not mind or can over look it others find it very noticeable and jarring when people champion this to be near perfect/perfect if not better then the DC version or hell even xbox version. The SFX skipping every other time is not present in the old games and just one of the audio related problems.

Last edited:
I had the issue where the save screen appears but it freezes and you can't do anything. I had to replay the ending again and fortunately it worked the second time.

I'm trying to replicate some of these, but a forum is a bit of a pain to use for looking at bugs. I think I might create a bitbucket or github project for this, send it to d3t, and then add the existing bugs so we can add screenshots and do bugtracking properly.

Have created the repo - if everyone can put their bugs on here, I'll contact d3t directly and ask them if they can use the issue list rather than have us continually e-mail them, which is a pain in the ass..

GitHub Shenmue Bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back