Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
New tweet from Sega. Console patches have been delayed and will be out the week of the 17th September.

People paid money and waited a long time for this collection. Many people here have a very strong attachment to these games. It's not that hard to figure out why people are upset. It's nice you don't care and think we're all big crybabies; you've said as much elsewhere. Some of us care, though, and will continue to speak about this since we've already invested so much time waiting for this collection.

We're here because we love Shenmue. Doesn't it make sense some of us would be very upset that the game we love was released in poor condition?

You've missed the point, people know most of these issues have already been resolved in a patch which is available on PC as we speak and announced coming to consoles soon. Yet they still feel the need to make a big song and dance about these bugs with overly dramatic rhetoric.. like they accidentally sallowed the "Thesaurus of Woe"

New tweet from Sega. Console patches have been delayed and will be out the week of the 17th September.

Oh and here we go again. I mentioned there was something new every single day in another thread didnt I? Well here is todays! The week of the 17th huh? It will have been a month with no console patches by the time this comes out, im disgusted by this, im embarassed for everyone thats been a part of this and it continues to get worse. Does that tweet actually ask us to wait on playing? I guess its better than being unpaid qa... I still havent even broken the seal on my PS4 copy yet and I am not going to until I know its acceptable, this is really throwing a wrench into the launch. What on earth is going on over there?

Title: S II - English battle voices
Platform: Xbox One X / PC
Title Version: 1.3.0.0 / v2
Category: Sound
Priority: Medium
Reproduction Rate: 12/12
Observed Result: Even though the game is set to the Japanese dub, the voices in fights are English. Also true for practicing the Iron Palm on the tree. And even the people chanting "kill" in the background of the Chunyan fight CUTSCENE.
Expected Result: Voices should be Japanese all the way through
Reproduction Steps: Fight against anyone or practice with Jianmin, with game set to Japanese voices

Title: S II - English gambling voices
Reproduction Rate: 8/8
Observed Result: Even though the game is set to the Japanese dub, the background voices in gambling dens are English
Reproduction Steps: Go to Warehouse 10 or any other gambling place in Fortunes Pier with game set to Japanese voices

Title: Shenmue II English gambling voices
Reproduction Rate: 3/3
Observed Result: Even though the game is set to the Japanese dub, the background voices in gambling dens are English
Reproduction Steps: Go to Warehouse 10 or any other gambling place in Fortunes Pier with game set to Japanese voices
It's echoed across ps4 as well. Anywhere you try to earn money be it gambling or fights

My oh my! the whinge is strong here.... How many different ways can they say a patch is coming this week for PS4, based on the very stable PC branch patches...
You are actually part of the problem. How so? By being OK with games being released in a sloppy state only to be patched later. If consumers keep allowing publishers to do this, things will only get worse. We should not be complacent. Not just with Shenmue, but all sloppy releases. As consumers we need to be better. We need to let publishers know that they need to finish their games before they release them. Nintendo somehow manages to do it. Why not everyone else? I'd rather it be delayed than released on time, but sloppy. Your response to that might be "Ohhh the whinge!!!! Just buy it and don't play it until it's patched then! Same thing! How dare you complain, I shall accuse you of whinge! It's my new favorite word!" It's not the same thing. First of all I like having a complete copy of the game on the disc whenever possible, fixes and all. I paid for this game and I'd like it to be ready to play when I buy it. If you think I'm asking too much, then wow, that's a sad reflection on the industry as a whole.

Also, who said anything about the PC version being "very stable" even with the latest patch? I've been seeing a lot of complaints like:
-Music still sounds wrong in Shenmue 2
-Darts still unplayable in Shenmue 2
-Shenmue 2 is still very dark
-Audio cutting out and no sound effects
All of these are complaints running the LATEST patch available now.

Maybe you mean "stable" in that it does not crash. That doesn't mean it isn't still sloppy as all get-out.

You are actually part of the problem. How so? By being OK with games being released in a sloppy state only to be patched later. If consumers keep allowing publishers to do this, things will only get worse. We should not be complacent. Not just with Shenmue, but all sloppy releases. As consumers we need to be better. We need to let publishers know that they need to finish their games before they release them. Nintendo somehow manages to do it. Why not everyone else? I'd rather it be delayed than released on time, but sloppy. Your response to that might be "Ohhh the whinge!!!! Just buy it and don't play it until it's patched then! Same thing! How dare you complain, I shall accuse you of whinge! It's my new favorite word!" It's not the same thing. First of all I like having a complete copy of the game on the disc whenever possible, fixes and all. I paid for this game and I'd like it to be ready to play when I buy it. If you think I'm asking too much, then wow, that's a sad reflection on the industry as a whole.

Also, who said anything about the PC version being "very stable" even with the latest patch? I've been seeing a lot of complaints like:
-Music still sounds wrong in Shenmue 2
-Darts still unplayable in Shenmue 2
-Shenmue 2 is still very dark
-Audio cutting out and no sound effects
All of these are complaints running the LATEST patch available now.

Maybe you mean "stable" in that it does not crash. That doesn't mean it isn't still sloppy as all get-out.

Who cares about "all sloppy releases" when we're talking about SHENMUE? No game that ever came before, or will come after, is more important. :p All the bitching in the world won't rewind time, so I don't get why people keep spinning their wheels, competing to see who can put their foot down the hardest, and take a stand against the "sorry bastards" who decided to finally relent and give us Shenmue again. Oh the humanity, let's riot. :eek:

Last edited:
You seem to agree and disagree with me or maybe you have no idea what I said? Your response is very confusing.

EDIT: Reading the post you linked to, you seem to be in the camp of "It's OK to release a sloppy game just as long as they fix it later." Champion of mediocrity. Do we REALLY need it that badly right away, before the game is truly finished? I would have been 100% fine waiting until November like it was originally planned for. There was zero reason to move the release up. It's not about rewinding time. Its about making sure future releases of any given game (not just Shenmue, like I specified) don't happen like this again. I'm not sure where you thought what I wrote was about rewinding time when I made it 100% clear it was about all releases and that we need to change... which is a forward-looking statement.

Last edited:
So, I just played Neo Darts on Shenmue 2...and the arm angle is off? It’s super hard to play now compared to Shenmue 1. Is this a bug, or did they intentionally try to make Neo Darts harder in Shenmue 2?

Good luck trying to change a 12 year old business model, since console market hit the HDD and Internet connection it reached that status. Also there is marketing reasons when setting release date beyond the fan base likes. Do I like the status with Shenmue I&II release? No, but is not the worst case scenario, almost no crashes or softlocks, not every body having the issue when creating a whole save file (this one is big but no 100% repro) and yes a lot of few-medium ones that combined can hurt someone experience, but it is not unplayable, it is not as messy as some big AAA titles on their first month and the PC version is being patched in a weekly basis addressing a lot of issues, console is not self published, consoles are going to take more time. It is very frustrating trying to be constructive and communicative and still find some 2008 like rants. Not even cartridges are patch free any more, and at that point in history this is not going to change.

So, I just played Neo Darts on Shenmue 2...and the arm angle is off? It’s super hard to play now compared to Shenmue 1. Is this a bug, or did they intentionally try to make Neo Darts harder in Shenmue 2?

Shenmue 2 Darts is broken, for me at least.. I couldn't get a dart on the board.

Shenmue 2 Darts is broken, for me at least.. I couldn't get a dart on the board.
Same I thought it was being awful.

Everything goes way higher than it should.

Do I like the status with Shenmue I&II release? No, but is not the worst case scenario, almost no crashes or softlocks, not every body having the issue when creating a whole save file (this one is big but no 100% repro) and yes a lot of few-medium ones that combined can hurt someone experience, but it is not unplayable, it is not as messy as some big AAA titles on their first month and the PC version is being patched in a weekly basis addressing a lot of issues, console is not self published, consoles are going to take more time.

While I agree with you on pretty much every point, unfortunately regarding the game not being unplayable isn’t fully true for those playing on Japanese PS4s. The back and forth 1 frame at a time flashing between x and o on qtes are so bad in Shenmue 2 for instance that there are sequences I’ve come across that were 99% impassable do to the bug. Particularly one very long sequence in the first half of the game basically breaks the game and can only be passed by sheer amazing amounts of good luck. Even trying to push both buttons or trying one or the other didn’t work 95% of the time. And when you have long qtes this bug will just make you fail making it impassable. Only luck has been able to let me pass through the game so far and I’ve come across at least three of these moments in Shenmue 2 already.

I just hope that the extra wait will include a fix for this bug especially. I’m glad the pc patches are fixing many of then bugs but o doubt anything in those patches will fix this specific bug. It’s certainly annoying having to basically hope for a stroke of luck after almost two hours of doing the same. Qte due to the broken aspect of it to advance in the game. And I know I got more qtes coming so I just hope it doesn’t get worse. Sucks we have to wait for the patch a bit longer (way more than I want to) but I’m hoping it deals with all our problems. The small and the game breaking big ones

@ranmafan I am not sure what is the current status regarding region free games, but I guess that the one with Japanese PS4 will take longer since Sega Japan is going to release the title there later. It is a tough one to guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back