Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's no glitch, that is supposed to happen. You can do that scene quite a few times, up until you can get the letter translated...

Well that's interesting... never heard of that one...

That's not a glitch, that's part of the game, and it in no way negates the last half of the game. It's not enough money to buy a ticket, and it's not like Ryo goes to work at the harbor for money anyways, he goes to investigate the Mad Angels...

It's a glitch - it appears multiple times despite you buying him the can. In the original game, it appears once, and once you get him the can, it's done. In this, it keeps occurring despite buying the can. I got the achievement, didn't advance the story, then when Ryo woke up and went to Dobuita, the scene occurred again.

It's a glitch - it appears multiple times despite you buying him the can. In the original game, it appears once, and once you get him the can, it's done. In this, it keeps occurring despite buying the can. I got the achievement, didn't advance the story, then when Ryo woke up and went to Dobuita, the scene occurred again.
I've had the cutscene happen multiple times on dreamcast.

Well if it is a glitch, it's a glitch that was in the original Dreamcast version...

I'm on dobuita new years day should the music sound like this in the special spots? Sounds kinda off?
The only video I could find showing with the music on that day for DC is this:
Time stamp 17m28s
Which does sound different.

Last edited:
Wow, how did you find that? This option doesn't seem to belong there at all though. Wonder what version it's from.
Regardles the standard should always be non-inverted.
yea should be non inverted by default

Last edited:
Well if it is a glitch, it's a glitch that was in the original Dreamcast version...
This is correct. I wonder if we should report bugs that were in the original game lol

This is correct. I wonder if we should report bugs that were in the original game lol
Someone did that before mentioning the glitch where it looks like ryo falls from the sky after talking to fuku-san(i think it's after pit blow)... This also happened on Dreamcast...

I never had it when I played EU Dreamcast version, it may be a US dreamcast one? I have played the DC game through at least 6 times, never experienced it.

I never had it when I played EU Dreamcast version, it may be a US dreamcast one? I have played the DC game through at least 6 times, never experienced it.
TBH, I have no idea what triggers it. I've had playthroughs where I ran into him 3-4 times and some where I never see him there at all. Not really sure what the deal is there...

Are you talking about the next morning when he wakes up at his house, he takes out his bank book and all his savings for a ticket but it's not even close to enough. Like at the start of this video:
If so that's part of the story, Ryo should also refuse to buy things since he need the money for a HK ticket.

Regarding the audio it is weird sometimes it just skips a effect. Like training a move 1 time out of every 10 it might not make a noise, same with raffle, or other little sound effects. Also audio levels can be weird on some scenes and songs.

Yeah, I thought it was supposed to happen, but Telekill’s post scared me.

I know a lot of people aren't happy about Jim Sterling's negative video on Shenmue HD, but at the beginning of his new (unrelated) video he shows off a pretty funny glitch that I've never heard anyone else mention.

Before I report this as a bug, can someone refresh my memory: in Shenmue 1 in Dobuita, is it normal for the “buy the man a Coke” event to happen more than once? I’ve had it twice now.

Not only is it present on all versions, it's not a glitch!

He's "always" hanging out in front of the vending machine (he starts appearing there when you're searching for Charlie and he will be there most days until you get the letter translated).

This is more in the realm of typos than bug and glitches, and is all but game breaking but I still think it matters story-wise and I haven't seen it reported yet.

Title: Inconsistent subtitles about Yuan (He/She, Him/Her)
Platform: PS4
Title Version: 1.01
Reproduction rate: 5/5
Category: HUD/Text
Priority: Low
Reproduction Steps: 1) Set voices in Japanese and subs in English for Shenmue II.
2) Play Shenmue II and get to the part where you follow Yuan across Kowloon.
Observed Result: Most of the time, Yuan is referred to as "He/Him" as he is a cross dressing male. However, in the original English dub, he was voiced and referred to as a woman. It seems this port wants to do justice to how Yuan was intended to be portrayed by referring to him as a man in he subtitles, but some instances will have him referred to as a woman, still. If you lose sight of him and get lost, Ryo's subs will read "lost her", or Ren sometimes says "where is she going" all of a sudden, instead of "he" as he does 98% of the time.
Expected Result: Subtitles should always refer to Yuan as male.

If anyone can tell me if the subs change drastically when you play the game with the English voice acting? Also if someone playing on another platform ran into that?

Not only is it present on all versions, it's not a glitch!

He's "always" hanging out in front of the vending machine (he starts appearing there when you're searching for Charlie and he will be there most days until you get the letter translated).

I bow to your superior knowledge :)

This is more in the realm of typos than bug and glitches, and is all but game breaking but I still think it matters story-wise and I haven't seen it reported yet.

Title: Inconsistent subtitles about Yuan (He/She, Him/Her)
Platform: PS4
Reproduction rate: 5/5
Category: HUD/Text
Reproduction Steps: 1) Set voices in Japanese and subs in English for Shenmue II.
2) Play Shenmue II and get to the part where you follow Yuan across Kowloon.
Observed Result: Most of the time, Yuan is referred to as "He/Him" as he is a cross dressing male. However, in the original English dub, he was voiced and referred to as a woman. It seems this port wants to do justice to how Yuan was intended to be portrayed by referring to him as a man in he subtitles, but some instances will have him referred to as a woman, still. If you lose sight of him and get lost, Ryo's subs will read "lost her", or Ren sometimes says "where is she going" all of a sudden, instead of "he" as he does 98% of the time.
Expected Result: Subtitles should always refer to Yuan as male.

If anyone can tell me if the subs change drastically when you play the game with the English voice acting? Also if someone playing on another platform ran into that?
Sega trying to be progressive I guess? lmfao

But yeah there's quite a few subtitle errors. I see some with a bunch of unnecessary spacing and such at time...

Playing on PS4, 1.01.
Minor issue/change.

Since I won the cassette player a few days ago I tested it yesterday. First of all, it seemed slightly harder to zoom in and lock onto it compared to the Dreamcast version. This isn't a bug or major issue in itself though, just a change.

But I find it odd that you get the same menu as the portable cassette player and it also uses the same battery (noticed this by how much charge was left) which doesn't really make sense to me. It's a different device and wasn't the point that these players didn't need a battery? The same thing with Tom's boombox : it shows the battery status from my portable player.
Again, it's not a major issue but something that I noticed. It has been a while since I played the Dreamcast version though so I'm not 100% sure if I remember those specifics correctly.

Current Version:
Steam: 1.01

Title: The money indicator gets stuck in the HUD if you skip the cutscene in where your boss pays you after moving crates. Only gets fixed by reloading or by triggering any scene or conversation that makes the money indicator fade in. It will fade out correctly after that. (For example, pressing Y near an NPC to talk about money is enough to fix it)

Platform: I can only test PC, but I don't see any reason why this would be platform specific.

Category: Video

Reproduction Steps: Do the crate moving job, skip the cutscene in where the boss pays you (mash B)

Observed Result: The money indicator gets stuck on the screen

Expected Result: The money indicator should not get stuck on the screen

758330_20180827232135_1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back