Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
As others have said GIVE IT SOME TIME, porting Shenmue I & II to various platforms was a hurculean task in itself, unfortunately the timeframe was probably very short for development so problems were sure to crop up, does it suck yes, but at least these issues can and probably will be fixed in due time so no need to panic just yet.
Saving this quote for later...

As others have said GIVE IT SOME TIME, porting Shenmue I & II to various platforms was a hurculean task in itself, unfortunately the timeframe was probably very short for development so problems were sure to crop up, does it suck yes, but at least these issues can and probably will be fixed in due time so no need to panic just yet.
Do shit right or don’t do it at all. I should not have to wait for a fucking month to get this fixed. This is why I have lost interest in gaming this generation, and Sega should have known this was going to bite them in the ass.

I played through Shenmue 1 and it went rather smoothly for the most part, surprisingly, but there were still a few issues I noticed. This is on a base PS4 with the 1.01 patch installed.

- The skybox turns really fast (it also turned on the DC version but it wasn't so over the top).
- The jingle bell music in Dobuita would get screwed up at times.
- Got the first person bug at the harbor.
- The up button on Excite QTE 2 wouldn't register. And when I first played it there would be two buttons on the screen, like X and O together so I thought "Wow this seems kind of advanced for the first few levels, I don't remember it being like this" but later I noticed it was a bug.
- I had a couple of cutscenes (one was when I walked into the antique shop to talk to the old man about the Phoenix mirror, don't remember the other one sorry) where something seemed to be blocking the camera right at the start of the scene but it would go away within a couple of seconds.
- The music when you're racing to the harbor on the motorcycle was a mess too and it even seemed to play in slow motion at times.

I started Shenmue II and I've noticed the music has a lot of problems as already been mentioned in this thread, it's a shame. Something was off with Queen's St. but I was able to ignore it most of the time. But once I reached Green Market Quarter it got unbearable, started to hurt the experience and take me out of the game so I quit. Honestly I'm not sure if I want to suck it up and continue or just wait until they fix it (hopefully) in the upcoming patch, but who knows how long that's gonna take. This really sucks because Shenmue II's music is a very important part of the game and I've always preferred it over I's music. At least the interior tracks seemed to be fine from what I heard. But the Come Over Guest House didn't really sound right, or maybe it was just me, idk.

I also played the old man at the bar in Aberdeen and the darts are broken, not going where I want them to most of the time but I guess I got lucky with my last one since I hit the bulls eye, hmm.

Last edited:
- The music when you're racing to the harbor on the motorcycle was a mess too and it even seemed to play in slow motion at times. And I assume they got rid of the vocals because of copyright issues or what? Because it was an instrumental here. But if they did I'm not complaining because they were terrible anyway lol.

It's always been an instrumental version.

Hey, what's this?...

(This has only happened to me once so far, and the toy was the chicken leg.)

Edit: It just happened a second time, also with the chicken leg.
It just happened to me with Chicken Leg, Nights 1 and Alex Kidd
Title: Capsule toy 3D models are missing
Platform: Xbox One
Title Version: 1.3.0.0
Reproduction rate: every time
Category: In game
Priority: Severe

Bought several capsule toys. Ristar and Chicken leg were missing, when Ryo looks at them and says "this is cool". He had nothing between his fingers. When you open the collection it's invisible too every time. The other toy capsules work for me so far.

Same behaviour obserded on PS4, Chicken Leg, Nights 1 and Alexx Kidd for me

It's always been an instrumental version.

Ah, you're right. I always remembered it having vocals but I guess I got it mixed up with the Ferrari F355 Challenge version which had vocals. My bad, I suppose I should've looked up a clip from the DC version to make sure before jumping to conclusions since I haven't beaten the game in like 16 years, so my memory was fuzzy.

Title: Nozomi constantly asks Ryo what happened after last cutscene with Jimmy

Platform: PS4

Title Version: 1.01

Category: Gameplay

Priority: Low/Medium

Reproduction Steps: Walk past Nozomi after re-entering Dobuita/call Nozomi
Reproduction Rate: 10/10

Observed Result: Whenever I walk past Nozomi the conversation triggers. Leaving Dobuita and coming back triggers the conversation again. Also I can no longer talk to Nozomi when I call her, her grandmother will always pick up and say she hasn't come home yet.

Expected Result: The same conversation should no longer trigger/Ryo can speak to Nozomi on the phone

Not sure if this makes a difference but I beat Chai in the Arcade before going back to Asia Travel

It just happened to me with Chicken Leg, Nights 1 and Alex Kidd

Same behaviour obserded on PS4, Chicken Leg, Nights 1 and Alexx Kidd for me
Weird thing is I had the same issue/same toys except Night 2 was blank while Night 1 was fine. Saved then reloaded and they were working fine. It was only with the SEGA World capsule machine. I collected every toy after and the issue never happened again. Just missing Space Harrier/QTE Title 2 due to current bugs.

Title: Nozomi constantly asks Ryo what happened after last cutscene with Jimmy

Title Version: 1.01

Priority: Low/Medium

Reproduction Steps: Walk past Nozomi after re-entering Dobuita/call Nozomi
Reproduction Rate: 10/10

Observed Result: Whenever I walk past Nozomi the conversation triggers. Leaving Dobuita and coming back triggers the conversation again. Also I can no longer talk to Nozomi when I call her, her grandmother will always pick up and say she hasn't come home yet.

Expected Result: The same conversation should no longer trigger/Ryo can speak to Nozomi on the phone

Not sure if this makes a difference but I beat Chai in the Arcade before going back to Asia Travel

That was the same in the original release, I believe. It's annoying so I always ran further away from the shop so it doesn't trigger.

Title: Gameplay unpauses when controller shuts off
Platform: Xbox One X
Priority: Low to medium
Reproduction Rate: Happens every time
Observed Result: When the game is paused and the controller shuts off it will display a message to turn on the controller again and that it is still paused, but the gameplay starts to continue to run at that point
Expected Result: Game stays paused
Reproduction Steps: Connect controller, pause, take batteries out of controller

I just hit b. Works for me.

Title: Some music is distorted with wrong notes generated.
Platform: Xbox1
Reproduction rate: 1/1
Category: Audio
Priority: Medium.
Observed Result: The bike riding music in Shenmue falls flat with a wrong note. Airing out the books in Shenmue 2 sounds very different.
Expected Result: It should sound like the Dreamcast.

Another little thing: 'Shenmue Mode' in Shenmue 2 displays subtitles all the time, instead of only when you skip dialogue.

There is only analogue control on the right thumbstick in Space Harrier, Hang On, and the bike riding sequence.

Last edited:
Somehow the cutscenes problem got even worse, up to the point where just leaving the bus at the harbour resulted in a chimney scene locked on (which was kind of funny the first time) until the normal game resumed. Even missed the first Goro appearance. By then I was so fed up I switched to 4:3 and kazaam, no more issues. Totally worth it. Heck, even with the cut in screen width what shows is more than on the tiny TV I used to play on the DC, so yeah, happy now! Driving forklifts is too fun. I'll keep on this mode until any patch, but it really is no bother now.

I had the same issues on PS4 after getting the Phoenix Mirror with the cut-scenes. On PC everything is allright with the cut-scenes after Phoenix Mirror-reveal. But not on PS4. The QTE in the Warehouse 8 was funny in black screen. ^^ In the travel shop everything was allright.

I had the same issues on PS4 after getting the Phoenix Mirror with the cut-scenes. On PC everything is allright with the cut-scenes after Phoenix Mirror-reveal. But not on PS4. The QTE in the Warehouse 8 was funny in black screen. ^^ In the travel shop everything was allright.
I’m having this issue and have decided to stop playing until it’s fixed. The pitch black Chai warehouse scene has ruined this for me.

Does the PS4 not have a contrast slider like on PC?
It does, and it kinda helps, on the other hand it leads to crushed whites. So it's either that or crushed blacks. And either way the game gets pretty dark.
What's needed is a proper gamma slider.

Last edited:
Title: Shenmue 2 - When playing "Big or Small", the subtitles aren't displayed for the areas of the game board. (In any text mode)
Priority: High (Can't see what each thing is!)
Observed Result: When playing Big or Small (to rack up beaucoup bucks) you can't see what is big, small, etc.
Expected Result: It should show subtitles, not everyone can read Japanese, me included!

Title: Shenmue 2 - When playing "Big or Small", the subtitles aren't displayed for the areas of the game board. (In any text mode)
Priority: High (Can't see what each thing is!)
Observed Result: When playing Big or Small (to rack up beaucoup bucks) you can't see what is big, small, etc.
Expected Result: It should show subtitles, not everyone can read Japanese, me included!

Use Google translator english>chinese and memorize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back