Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most frustrating thing of these games from my experience is the lack of response to QTE's. You hit the right button within the right time frame but still it doesn't get recognized. Getting up the Ghost Hall building is an absolute nightmare. If you couldn't save anywhere like before you'd never make it.

The most frustrating thing of these games from my experience is the lack of response to QTE's. You hit the right button within the right time frame but still it doesn't get recognized. Getting up the Ghost Hall building is an absolute nightmare. If you couldn't save anywhere like before you'd never make it.
That building was always hell

I have say the qtes on the whole were ok for me. Maybe one or two iffy ones but that was probably me.

This was normal in original Shenmue.

No, it is not normal, on Dreamcast A button prompt is highlighted for using the item as well as B button for quitting. I tested it myself on Dreamcast. On PS4 X and circle buttons should have prompts but usually there is nothing for X button.

Shenmue_20180827221145.jpg

Title: Ui is still messed up when playing in 4K with nvidia DSR on PC (No widescreen mods are installed)
Platform:
PC
Title Version: Beta v2
Reproduction Rate: 5/5
Category: Menus
Not fixed
Priority: High
Observed Result: Playing the game in 4K results in the menu being squashed and not rendering property. Works fine on a native 4K screen but if you want to use nvidia's DSR then the menu will be squashed.
Expected Result: UI should display the same as in 1080p.
Sm1 Screenshot 2018.09.04 - 02.17.00.80.png
(Again, no widescreen mods are installed)

Last edited:
User received a 1 week ban for this post.
I think you need to be somewhat less angry and more understanding. I'm always willing to stick it to companies who are screwing the consumer, but to be completely honest - given how old this game was, and the fact that d3t ported one of the two games from the Dreamcast, and the vast majority of the bugs are minor, and not game-breaking.

It's easy to just jump up and say SEGA has wronged you, but I would daresay you've not experienced any game-breaking bugs, and you're just annoyed that there *are* bugs, which is somewhat naive. I mean, the game at the time of being ported over was over 10 years old, written in all kinds of old tech, and I am amazed that given all that we've got a HD remaster that largely plays the same as the DC, with minor bugs.

Now consider this, d3t has under 50 employees (https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/d3t-ltd#section-overview) - and a number of those are administrative or managerial, so, we're probably talking about a team of less than 20 developers. Now consider this, on the original game there were way more than 50 people who *alone* debugged the game, and maybe a little more who developed it (https://segaretro.org/Shenmue#Production_credits).

I'm not saying you don't have a right to frustration, but I would say perhaps blow your wad on other more deserving frustrations (i.e. The constant delays of Shenmue 3 and scope creep therein) and not on something that, considering what I just put above, is a bloody good job.

If you're reading d3t, good job! Hope you pay your workers fairly ;-)
Listen, asshole. I have experienced worse bugs in Fallout 3 and Skyrim, so get your head out of your ass here. If I'm experiencing cutscene bugs that prevent me from progressing through Shenmue without restarting the game, as well as martial arts moves list not updating the way they are supposed to compared to the Dreamcast, it reeks of being half-assed. I wanted the collection and bought it blindly just for the sake of waiting on Shenmue 3. It should have been working with very few minor bugs, not the fucking mess it is in.

Banned for multiple ToS breaches. Personal attack, thread de-railing and a seriously aggressive tone. This is an example of what will not be tolerated here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Title: Ui is still messed up when playing in 4K with nvidia DSR on PC (No widescreen mods are installed)
Platform:
PC
Category: Menus
Not fixed
Priority: High
Observed Result: Playing the game in 4K results in the menu being squashed and not rendering property. Works fine on a native 4K screen but if you want to use nvidia's DSR then the menu will be squashed.
Expected Result: UI should display the same as in 1080p.
View attachment 1097
(Again, no widescreen mods are installed)

Try restarting the game after you changed the resolution. It seems to be somewhat finicky still.
Yesterday it changed without problems. Today I had the improper scaling again. Then it worked instantly. Then it did the improper scaling yet again after changing again but it sorted itself out by restarting the game.

Anyway, 4K does work fine once it's going, though the menus aren't quite that sharp anymore.

zW9ZAGI.jpg

Try restarting the game after you changed the resolution. It seems to be somewhat finicky still.
Yesterday it changed without problems. Today I had the improper scaling again. Then it worked instantly. Then it did the improper scaling yet again after changing again but it sorted itself out by restarting the game.

Anyway, 4K does work fine once it's going, though the menus aren't quite that sharp anymore.

zW9ZAGI.jpg
Well sheeeeet it works. Thanks alot man.

PS: Big fan of your content. =D

Title: 70 Man Battle option on the menu dissapears after loading a save and exiting back to the menu
Platform:
PC
Category: Menus/ Game /Mode
Not fixed
Priority: Medium to High
Observed Result: After booting up the game the option is there but when loading a save upon exiting the game back to the main menu, the 70 Man battle option disappears alongside the option to change the weather mode. Only fix is to restart the game. The Cleared save file is still present at all times.
Expected Result: 70 Man battle option should display at all times.

No, it is not normal, on Dreamcast A button prompt is highlighted for using the item as well as B button for quitting. I tested it myself on Dreamcast. On PS4 X and circle buttons should have prompts but usually there is nothing for X button.

View attachment 1095

I politely disagree, sir. You have to go into your inventory, then select it. I just did it on both, it's exactly the same between DC and PS4. I think on the screenshot you have, the crest slot is to the bottom right, which kinda hints you're not actually zoomed in on the handguard slot, and you're just opening your inventory - hence why you don't have anywhere to insert the handguard :)

Evidence: (Dreamcast - look at 17:39 - 18:00)

There are places where it sounds different to the Xbox or Dreamcast version. It could be too much reverb.

The music here:
Doesn't sound like this:

Thank you for clearing that up, I guess there's something different. I was thrown off as I don't have the Xbox version, but I remember when I had it, it was a bit weird with some of the songs, so made the assumption :)

If I'm experiencing cutscene bugs that prevent me from progressing through Shenmue without restarting the game, as well as martial arts moves list not updating the way they are supposed to compared to the Dreamcast, it reeks of being half-assed.

Why haven't you raised these issues? I think I've had the same issues you're referring to, and to overcome them, I pressed circle. When you're unbanned, raise them and I'll try to replicate them and raise with d3t :)

Title: Sounds not playing correctly when buying stuff.
Platform: PS4 (non boost mode)
Title Version: 1.0.1
Reproduction rate: 3/10
Category: sound
Priority: medium

Sometimes sounds are not played when buying items like cans, capsules or when playing slot machine. Ommited sounds include crashing of the can, decreasing of money, drinking etc. Seems to be the same underlying issue

The occasional disappearance of sound applies to everything in the game (which hopefully makes it easier to fix since it doesn't seem to be attached to a certain event).

Sometimes a foot step is missing, a note from a tune, a selection sound in the menu or (very annoying) the sound confirming that you hit a button in a QTE correctly.

It sounded like the Xbox version, which I believe it was based on.

while the original Xbox release never sounded as good as the Dreamcast music, it most certainly wasn't out of tune and broken sounding like on this release.

Shenmue 1 sounds fine so I can only assume they converted the midi driver from Shenmue 1 and then tried to cut and paste that driver into the xbox Shenmue 2 code base to disastrous effect. I'd bet if they had ported Shenmue 2 from dreamcast they probably wouldn't have had this problem. They could probably fix this issue by grabbing the music files from Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast, rather than trying to make further changes to the midi driver.

Forgive me if anyone has brought this up already, but has anyone else experienced the action button turning into a constant alarm clock icon when carrying books in Shenmue 2? It seems to me as though Ryo's alarm is going off in the morning, but because the game automatically cuts to the library, the icon doesn't disappear like it normally would?

while the original Xbox release never sounded as good as the Dreamcast music, it most certainly wasn't out of tune and broken sounding like on this release.

Shenmue 1 sounds fine so I can only assume they converted the midi driver from Shenmue 1 and then tried to cut and paste that driver into the xbox Shenmue 2 code base to disastrous effect. I'd bet if they had ported Shenmue 2 from dreamcast they probably wouldn't have had this problem. They could probably fix this issue by grabbing the music files from Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast, rather than trying to make further changes to the midi driver.

As I previously said, this is very annoying and it is actually the only thing I’m really mad about this re-releases.
Fixing midi tracks is something you can do in less than 5 minutes per song with a good program and by one person that has a minimun knowledge of music editing and a good ear.
I can understand minor bugs that depend on a very old code which is very hard to modify without creating other bugs, but the music files are a much easier task, considering they are on the background and are not related to physics or other stuff.
Notes out of pitch are things you have to hear immediately, there are no rational excuses.

I am very sad to say this, because I am very respectful and thankful to D3T, but in the audio department they are simply and unoffensively incompetent, and if this patch doesn’t resolve this issue I’m gonna complain directly to Sega and D3t

Forgive me if anyone has brought this up already, but has anyone else experienced the action button turning into a constant alarm clock icon when carrying books in Shenmue 2? It seems to me as though Ryo's alarm is going off in the morning, but because the game automatically cuts to the library, the icon doesn't disappear like it normally would?
I have experienced this one too

Yeah the qte bugs, especially in Shenmue II, have been some of the most frustrating things I have ever experienced in almost 40 years of gaming. All it seems due to the Japanese systems difference in confirmation buttons for those of us playing on a Japanese system. One segment last night took me over an hour to get through just out of sheer luck and experimenting. I’ve only seen one other western game have this bug before so it’s quite annoying. I really hope the next patch fixes it. Otherwise I can’t see how I’ll get through the rest of Shenmue II qte scenes without a lot of luck.

Title: Glitches in both Iwao and Ryo's hands during the flashback seen about eating carrots.
Platform:
PS4
Title Version: 1.01
Category: Visual
Priority: medium
Reproduction Rate: Every time.
Observed Result:
The cutscene plays as the bowl of rice in Iwao's hands and chopsticks in Ryo's hand are clipping through their hands. The bowl is glitching through the hand. This wasn't the case in the original.
Expected Result: The cutscene should play with the visuals intact.

Reproduction Steps: In the beginning of the game, go to the kitchen and lock onto the food on the table.

When i went through this scene, it jumped to a picture of the Hazuki rotary phone and stayed there until the scene was over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back