Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ranmafan I am not sure what is the current status regarding region free games, but I guess that the one with Japanese PS4 will take longer since Sega Japan is going to release the title there later. It is a tough one to guess

Well it’s weird cause in the hundreds of games I’ve played on ps3 and PS4 from the west on the Japanese system, only one other game has had this bug and that game never got fixed. Mainly cause there was no Japanese release of it and the company just dropped the game after release. All other games made sure the Japanese system used the western style confirm button style. I am hopeful that Sega will not just wait until the Japanese release to fix it. Also I’m concerned there might be many differences between the two releases where basically they are two different games, like a release of Ryu Ga Gotoku and Yakuza. For instance I’m not expecting the Japanese release to include any English at all (hoping though I’m wrong but Sega isn’t always the best with including it). If so a fix to this release has to be given a high priority I think. there are quite a lot of us I’ve see online running into the bug playing on japanese systems

Title: S II - Predictive Explosion lesson visibility
Platform: Xbox One X
Title Version: 1.3.0.0
Category: Graphics
Priority: Medium
Reproduction Rate: 1/1
Observed Result: During the Predictive Explosion move lesson Kai is way too visible from the getgo, making it incredibly easy to hit him. The lesson is meant to calm Ryo and the player down and Kai is designed to become more and more visible as Ryo learns and his focus increases. This is taking a lot away from the immersion and lesson itself.
Expected Result: Darkness should have a lot more effect and Kai should only become fully visible as the lesson goes on
Reproduction Steps: Meet Kai in the Moon Child Bldg. and participate in his lesson

After playing through both games it's time that I finally address my thoughts on the following matter...

Title: No actual modern nor classic control setup
Platform: All
Title Version: All up to PC v3
Category: Mechanics
Priority: High
Reproduction Rate: Always

Observed Result: The control setup in both games neither allows for "modern" analog stick only movement, nor is there any interpretation of a "classic" mode, wich goes against what was promised.
The analog stick just acts like a duplicate of the d-pad and Ryo cannot run just by tilting the stick all the way forward, as he already could in the original DC Shenmue II, when setting the stick to movement. This makes it impossible to run in the firewood cave in Guilin, wich was possible with the afformentioned option on DC and Xbox.
There is also no option anywhere to switch the camera controls to be mapped to the left stick aswell for an actual representation of how the original DC controls worked, making the jump into the new controls for hard veterans somewhat confusing.

Expected Result: Options to have the left stick move the camera / fully move Ryo, including running on full tilt
Reproduction Steps: Just move Ryo around in either game, anywhere, anytime

The lack of analog control with the left stick extends to the bike ride to the harbor in Shenmue 1.

There's analog for that and arcade games with the right stick. Too awkward to be useful.

What's with the organ music near Tom's Hotdogs? There's Xmas music (which sounds odd) and then there's this weird, horrible music? Another bug?

Speaking of Tom's Hotdogs, did anyone ever figure out why on earth they changed the clown logo texture so that he has green hair now? It's not a huge deal, but what possible reason could there be for a change like that?

In my experience, the left stick is ALWAYS just the same as the d-pad. The RIGHT stick is true analog and duplicates the Dreamcast's analog functions. I'm betting that the right stick probably controls arcade games in analog (haven't tried yet) and I'm betting the right stick will let you run once you choose the proper control method. It's just an oversight by the very silly devs.

Title: No translation subtitles when moving the camera to shops while you walk/run
Platform: PS4
Title Version: 1.01
Category: Text
Priority: Low/Medium
Reproduction Rate: 8/8

On DC, when you ran past shops and turned the camera towards them, you would see a translation of the things written on the outside.

Title: After Burner has no music and can only be controlled with the right analog stick
Category: Audio, control
Priority: High
Reproduction Rate 2/2
Observed Result: Tried After Burner in Phoenix Building, it had no music and I could only move with the right analog stick, it's extremely clunky and borderline unplayable this way. I tried it at least twice, and it was the same thing each time.
Expected Result: Need to be able to hear the in-game music and move around with the left analog stick.

Title: No translation subtitles when moving the camera to shops while you walk/run
Category: Text
Priority: Low/Medium
Reproduction Rate: 8/8

On DC, when you ran past shops and turned the camera towards them, you would see a translation of the things written on the outside.
You need to zoom the camera in on the store for it to appear. Yeah it's not optimal. Might be more "elegant" but I can say that it caused trouble for my buddy who played it for the first time when he was just trying to find the store he had to go to.

we already know, but in original not necesary, for me is a important bug in gameplay and nobody talks about it.

This is not bug I would say, more controls issue.

Title: Shenmue II - During Lucky Hit part-time job right analog stick is used for looking around
Reproduction rate: 10/10
Category: Controls
Priority: Low
Observed Result: During Lucky Hit part-time job you can only use right analog stick to look around.
Expected Result: Looking around should be mapped to left analog stick.
Reproduction Steps: Start Lucky Hit part-time job and try to look around with left analog and then right analog stick.

So basically player cannot look around and invite (call on) people to play at same time because right tumb is used for looking not for pressing call button.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back