Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 2

And when I played a second time through Shenmue 1 with the new patch I found the jumping volume levels in the FREE 3 track even more bothering, so I would recommend including this also as a ticket. It's probably not that big of a deal for the devs to look into the mixing of one particular song. So maybe it helps to give them the hint

Title: Jumping volumes during FREE 3 track
Platform: PS4 - Shenmue 1
Title Version: 1.03
Category: Sound
Priority: Low
Reproduction Rate: Always
Observed Result: Listen to the FREE 3 track and compare it to how smooth it sounded originally. Volume mixing should be improved.
Expected Result: Correct sounding music

Apart from FREE3 and Manpukuken Ramen, the music in Shenmue 1 seems ok for me now.
I also still find FREE 1 and FREE 2, two of my favorite tracks, to be extremely bad. I'm no expert on the subject but I think that most of the musical problems remaining in Shenmue I for PS4 come down to poor volume mixing.

There are also some cutscene tracks that seem to have okay playback but are just too quiet overall, such as the music during Ryo's nightmare, Memories of Distant Days, and the music that plays when Ryo leaves Dobuita for the final time.

I also still find FREE 1 and FREE 2, two of my favorite tracks, to be extremely bad. I'm no expert on the subject but I think that most of the musical problems remaining in Shenmue I for PS4 come down to poor volume mixing.

There are also some cutscene tracks that seem to have okay playback but are just too quiet overall, such as the music during Ryo's nightmare, Memories of Distant Days, and the music that plays when Ryo leaves Dobuita for the final time.
I'd agree the music when Ryo leaves Dobuita is a tad quiet.

I also agree that volume levels are unbalanced in Shenmue 1. How can for example Free 1 be so quiet if the music volume is max level in options.

I also agree that volume levels are unbalanced in Shenmue 1. How can for example Free 1 be so quiet if the music volume is max level in options.

Oh you mean the general music volume level? Yes I also had the feeling that the background music in Shenmue 1 remaster is too quiet overall (especially since the latest patch?)
I just didn't consider it so problematic because one can adjust the overall levels. I always play with Music on 100% and the other both values on 85%. With that it feels right for me personally.

By the way, do we know which version got shipped to the Japanese market? Do we know of any bug complaints from Japan?

Oh you mean the general music volume level? Yes I also had the feeling that the background music in Shenmue 1 remaster is too quiet overall (especially since the latest patch?)
I just didn't consider it so problematic because one can adjust the overall levels. I always play with Music on 100% and the other both values on 85%. With that it feels right for me personally.
I literally have SFX Volume at 91%, Music Volume at 100%, and Speech Volume at 40% and it still doesn't sound right. That's because many of the music tracks are not only too quiet overall but have jumping volume levels, just like you described FREE 3.

To be honest, Shenmue II has fairly poor volume balancing in my opinion as well, but in that game it can be mostly remedied by adjusting the options. That's just not possible in Shenmue I because there are unbalanced volume levels within many of the tracks themselves. Plus, some tracks have much lower volume than others.

I literally have SFX Volume at 91%, Music Volume at 100%, and Speech Volume at 40% and it still doesn't sound right. That's because many of the music tracks are not only too quiet overall but have jumping volume levels, just like you described FREE 3.

To be honest, Shenmue II has fairly poor volume balancing in my opinion as well, but in that game it can be mostly remedied by adjusting the options. That's just not possible in Shenmue I because there are unbalanced volume levels within many of the tracks themselves. Plus, some tracks have much lower volume than others.

Yeah hopefully they come back to the PS4 audio at some point. May I ask what settiing you use for Shenmue 2 then?

Yeah hopefully they come back to the PS4 audio at some point. May I ask what settiing you use for Shenmue 2 then?
Well to be honest, I haven't actually played through Shenmue II on this collection yet. I've been replaying the beginning of the game, messing around with the settings to see what works best. I haven't positively settled on anything yet, but right now I have it at SFX Volume 90%, Music Volume 100%, and Speech Volume 62%.

That seems not too bad to me. The only real problems are are that the music during the attract mode is too loud in relation to Shenhua's voice, the notebook music is too loud, and Joy's theme is a little loud compared to the speech during her first cutscene. Note that I'm playing both games in English, so the speech volume might vary if you have it set to Japanese.

EDIT: I just wanted to clarify that when I say Joy's theme is a "little" loud compared to the speech, I mean very little. All of the speech in the scene is definitely audible. I'm just pretty sure it wasn't quite as loud in the original Dreamcast or Xbox versions. It's not bad like this though.

EDIT 2: I lowered the SFX Volume a little to make the music more prominent, but that's just personal preference (and I'm still not even sure how I feel about it). You can leave it at 100% or put it anywhere in between and it's not too loud. In fact, the sound effects at 100% might actually be most accurate to how the original game sounded. It's mainly the voices that sound way too loud to me by default.

EDIT 3: I've been trying Shenmue II with everything at 100% again and it's really not bad. The voices are a little loud but not too loud. The volume balance in Shenmue II really isn't bad at all and you can set the options however you prefer. It's really only Shenmue I for PS4 that still has serious audio problems which can't be fixed through the options.

Last edited:

Well I'm playing with headphones connected to PS4 controller and even if the music is set to 100% it seems quiet but not all the time I would say.

Title: Music in Man Mo Bistro bad
Platform: PS4 - Shenmue 2
Category: Sound
Priority: Low/Medium
Reproduction Rate: Always
Observed Result: The music inside of Man Mo bistro is very off tune (like other songs were before the patches).
Expected Result: Correct sounding music.

Title: Subtitle in Shenmue I always appears even if subtitles are turned off in options.
Platform: PS4
Category: Graphics/Text
Priority: Low
Reproduction Rate: 3/3
Observed Result: After Chai appears and attacks Guizhang at the end of the game, the line "Behind you!" (spoken by Guizhang) always appears on the screen, regardless of how the options are set.
Expected Result: If "Cinema Mode" or "Shenmue Mode" is selected in options, no text should appear on the screen.

Crossing fingers they will once mroe after holiday break in the new year, or at worst, next summer before Shenmue 3. Only egregious bug still prevalent is the grapple-hold-backward kick hitbox invincibility. Although, even with moves mastered at maximum level, I personally don't think it matters much because of being so weak...

...and a rare instance where evolved pit blow's third strike doesn't register because the hitbox disappears while the enemy's animation reacts to the first two hits? Once again, pretty infrequent move because it is slow and not more powerful enough than the fists to be worthwhile, really. Again, subjective on my part. Regardless, I'd prefer they be fixed in one last patch, hopefully, but am perfectly content with current state, too.

Crossing fingers they will once mroe after holiday break in the new year, or at worst, next summer before Shenmue 3. Only egregious bug still prevalent is the grapple-hold-backward kick hitbox invincibility. Although, even with moves mastered at maximum level, I personally don't think it matters much because of being so weak...

...and a rare instance where evolved pit blow's third strike doesn't register because the hitbox disappears while the enemy's animation reacts to the first two hits? Once again, pretty infrequent move because it is slow and not more powerful enough than the fists to be worthwhile, really. Again, subjective on my part. Regardless, I'd prefer they be fixed in one last patch, hopefully, but am perfectly content with current state, too.

Just wanted to say this in case this forum shows seen by devs; I am not content with the current state of either release. The hitbox issues have drastically impacted my enjoyment of the first game, and I am currently not able to play the second game because of the notebook music being too loud. I play with headphones so to me it is very loud.

Back